Jimmy case speaks out on stevie g issue - Anfield legend warns captain

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:21 am

If there ever was a man worth listening to its Jimmy Case, born and bred and Liverpool thru and thru. Liverpoolfc.tv reported.....

Kop legend Jimmy Case says Steven Gerrard would be making a huge mistake if he were to leave Liverpool at this stage of his career. 

With speculation about the future of the Reds captain intensifying by the day, Case has spoken out in response to comments made by fellow ex-Liverpool stars Mark Lawrenson and Alan Hansen.

In their respective newspaper columns, both Lawrenson and Hansen stated that the time was right for Gerrard to move on and that Chelsea would be the ideal destination.

Yesterday, Liverpool fans reacted angrily to what they perceive as mischief making by two of their former heroes.

But today Case, a born and bred Liverpudlian who knows what it's like to live the dream of playing for his boyhood idols, insists leaving Anfield for Stamford Bridge would be a backward step for Gerrard.

In an exclusive interview with Liverpoolfc.tv the former hard hitting midfielder of the late seventies/early eighties explains why the skipper should not jump from the Anfield ship and laughs off talk that Chelsea are a bigger club than Liverpool.

He says: "Everyone is talking about Steven Gerrard and will he or won't stay at Liverpool."

"One thing is for sure Gerrard loves Liverpool Football Club, I've no doubt about that, and he's not motivated by money, but he must be going through turmoil in his own mind because every player wants to be successful and win trophies.

"For me, what it boils down to is belief in the club. We all know Gerrard has been holding the team together. True, Liverpool did suffer their fair share of injuries last season but I have to say there were also quite a few under-achievers in the team as well.

"However, the board have reacted positively to last season and brought in Rafael Benitez as boss. Hopefully things will improve under him and if it was me in Gerrard's situation I'd give the new manager a chance to show what he can do.

"With the addition of one or two quality players I have every faith we'll be back up there challenging for honours and I think he should hang in there, and I don't just mean for one more season. He's a quality player and has time on his side. He has to give it more of a go at Liverpool, that's my view.

"Personally speaking, it would never have suited me to go and play for Chelsea. I always loved Liverpool Football Club and that was the top and bottom of it. Until I lost my place in the team, and that's not going to happen with Stevie, I would never have considered leaving Anfield.

"Realistically, Chelsea is the only club that could afford him but they can not go on spending like they have been forever and their bubble will burst eventually, I think.

"They are in no way a bigger club, that's not even up for debate. How can they be a bigger club when they've won nothing? Bigger bank balance, yes. But bigger club, no way. Liverpool have bigger crowds, a more illustrious history and the potential for a glorious future.

"Chelsea are trying to be all the so-called best players and that's why they obviously want Gerrard. But that doesn't mean they are guaranteed success."
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:32 am

I didn't know if stevie's now growing moustache ???
:p
Last edited by anfieldadorer on Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:20 pm

At last we have a former player who has his priorities right.

If Stevie goes, he'll earn himself a nice bit of dosh and maybe he might win a couple of medals but in three years time he could find himself replaced by a new Brazilian superplayer and he'll find himself ending up somewhere like Newcastle.

I can understand his frustration at Liverpool but we have a new manager who means business and when our new stadium comes on line, we will retake our place among the super powers in Europe.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby taff » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:24 pm

Agree 100%
Everything Ive heard is he is off to the harlem globetrotters of football and It would be sad to see him sitting on a bench with Ronaldhino or somebody playing and no other club touching him cos of his wages
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:33 pm

Jimmy Case always did have his priorities right.  Leaving Liverpool for Chelsea would be like shitting on the club only much worse for him in he long run.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby jymbojetset » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:37 pm

Agree with all above.

Have you read Chelsea's comments? Reading between lines,would appear they would like Stevie, but will not make first approach!

Ball is back in Stevie's court!
jymbojetset
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:06 pm

[QUTE]Have you read Chelsea's comments? Reading between lines,would appear they would like Stevie, but will not make first approach!

What colour's the moon where you are? You still  reading the Beano or something?
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:52 pm

Come off it Bull!

You were here last night telling pepple what Rooney's cousin told you, so its a bit rich slagging people who still aren't sure what's going on!  :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby long sleeved joe » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:57 pm

If only we had a few more Jimmy Cases in the team.
People need to see that Chelsea are a joke of a club- i know they have all the money in the world at the moment but they are the most pathetic club in the history of English football.
Liverpool have a history that no other club in Britain can rival.  They are a forward thinking club with ambitious plans for a new stadium, state of the art training facilities and a multi million pound youth academy which has produced some of the finest players of the decade. We have high standards and hence arguably the most impressive manager in football in recent years.We are on the verge of recieving a massive cash injection and have a place in the champs Lge next season.  We are considered to be one of the most important clubs in Europe. We have for generations been owned by the loyal and local Moores family who have made big decisions for the benefit of the club- not there own profit. Despite being one of Europes biggest earning clubs we have maintained a local heart to the club which i see less and less in football these days. Within the club staff and players are shown loyalty and trust- and ex players are still welcomed as 'part of the club'- once a red always a red.
Why then could Stevie a local boy with the potential to be Liverpools greatest ever captain and cult hero even consider a move to London.

Chelsea have a history of underachievement -just a few cups to show for over the last 50 years.  Over the last decade they have been managed by the likes of Gullit, Hoddle, Vialli and Ranieri who have spent a fortune on absolute rubbish.  Houlliers success in the transfer market dwarfs theirs.  They have little to show for and apparently no intersst in home grown tallent. Abramovich had to rescue Chelsea from major debt- with a TV channel, and a 'Chelsea village' complex loosing money by the shed load.  Their previous chairman Ken Bates waranted as much respect within the game as the former board at Leeds.
The new Chelsea seems to have an agenda to 'out Man U' Man U- it bullys the transfer market and they even got Peter Kenyon on board. (at least Man U were not copying anyone else- they are the original scum). And now they have signed probably the biggest wally ever to manage a football club with only 2 guarantee that he will generate headlines and offend other managers- the egos in that club are just immense.  How long till they explode?- the turnover of players and staff is ridiculous- the back biting amongst the players will surely rise to the levels of clubs such as Barcelona who have had top players but not the discipline or spirit to actually win. It appears there is no trust or loyalty towards the players or management who have at most a season to prove their worth. (veron was injured for his 1 year but still got moved on)
If Abramovich leaves (and why wouldnt he) Chelsea will be left with the highest wage bill in World Football- its all fine now and nobody seems to mind that Chelsea could easily have signed the same players for less wages. But without the Russian no one will be able to save the club this time.
"If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden i'd draw the curtains" Bill Shankly
long sleeved joe

Postby mistyred » Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:03 pm

Jimmy Case,What a lad.:D
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:46 pm

Jimmy Case is a wonderful guy. Players today have a lot to learn from people like him. I am not so passionate about football as I used to be. Football is business. Players today have no loyalty and no passion. They play for money. Cash is king, and I know things will only get worse. We, the fans, are the ones who pay their salaries. I certainly am not willing to spend my money at tickets and accessories if things get much worse.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion