Goalies against us - Not a rant, merely a poser...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:51 pm

We'll always focus on the quality of the keeping if we have 20+ shots on target and fail to put one away. Many will blame this on the accuracy of the finishing, and they have a point.

In games like that though, you have to just keep plugging away and stay frosty at the back. We lost 1-0, but we could've won 10-0 ourselves.

My take? All credit to Friedel. He's an excellent shot-stopper, and on his day (and this was one of them), Blackburn could have 3 players sent off and he still wouldn't let anything past him.

On the other hand, if we'd beaten Blackburn 2-1, this post wouldn't be here. Any keeper for any team will rate a match against Liverpool as a big game, and fair play to them if they shine against us. It's our strikers' job to put the ball out of the keepers' reach, and if we fail to do that, it's still a minus for us as opposed to a plus for them. If the ball's close enough to the keeper for them to get something on it, that's our fault, not theirs.

Make of that what you will. :p
ivor_the_injun

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:02 pm

I'm with Stu on this - Robbie Fowler is the best finisher in the league. If he can egt some match fitness he'll out score our other strikers 2 to 1.

Give the lad a chance.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby CarlosRocks » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:38 pm

yeah defo, Robbie needs a good stint in the squad to raise his fitness then there'll be no stopping him...
CarlosRocks

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:45 pm

The problem then is: who do you leave out?

Bellamy's looked excellent recently, and I don't see Rafa going with a Fowler/Bellamy partnership unless injuries force him to.

I think Rafa's thinking is that he picks one of Kuyt and Crouch paired up with one of Bellamy and Fowler. He seemed reluctant to pair Kuyt and Crouch, and Rob's a rarity on the subs bench these days. It pains me to say it, but if Robbie Fowler is to have any real say in what we achieve this season, it's going to require a couple of injuries to our other strikers.
ivor_the_injun

Postby LazyManJackson » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:14 pm

The quality of goalkeeping is improving every year, yes we've face veteran keepers, but it seems its getting harder to score nowadays, like for example in peanlties, usually, it used to be that you were more likely to score, now,  there saving them more than ever...

Or it could just be Liverpool's finishing...:p
LazyManJackson

Postby jizz » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:23 pm

anyone see scott carson save last night? i know he plays for a very poor team but any highlights i have seen of charlton he seems to be having a good season ( if you can say that ) he is looking more like our no.1 in a few seasons time
jizz

Postby redmikey » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:11 pm

this is a great shout dawson, i was havin this out in the pub at the weekend, and after to many pints i still don't know why, but decided that family guy is better than the simpsons ..

and why are the goals of the month/season there will always be 3/4 against us
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:47 pm

Keepers job is to save the ball, strikers job is to put it in the back of the net. One outperformed the other. Simple as.

Also, we create more chances than most teams so keepers against us are forever in the action, hence concentrating on the task at hand all the time. The test of a great keeper is when he's not in the game for 20 mins but can still make a great save when called upon out of the blue. Hence the reason why some keepers look good at smaller clubs when they're getting a lot of work, but struggle at big clubs.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion