If money is no object in the summer...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:58 pm

bigmick wrote:Micah Richards is not a bad shout John to be fair. You wouldn't be taking the biggest gamble you'd ever taken if you stuck your neck out and said you thought he was going to be an international regular before too much longer. However his footballing abilities develop, he is an absolutely fantastic athlete and as such will always be able to defend competently. I guess you'd have to go well into the teens to get him but he'd be worth it.

BTW thanks for the mention Lynds. The family have just arrived in New Zealand and I've just got up. We went via USA so I've seen next to no football over the last few weeks. Hopefully it should stop me getting all "know-it-all" as i haven't seen the games.

It doesn't really feel like crimbo here but a very happy one to everyone on the forum anyhow.

On Richards, I think you're easily talking 15 million now Mick, which is inflated for what you're getting in the short term, but imo will turn out to be a bargain in the long term.  Pre-investment I'd say not worth it, but it's exactly this type of player the investment should be used for.

On a sidenote, haven't been logged in much recently and didn't realise you'd already emigrated Mick.  Hope it's all going well out there anyway mate.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:01 pm

In all honesty I think saying Rafa wont pay over the odds for players is a bit of a fallacy. More correctly Liverpool havn't had the money for the the players Rafa has wanted. We paid over the odds for Pennant, Crouch and Garcia, thats not to say they arn't worth what we paid , just that the price we paid was more than their estimated worth at the time. Their clubs wanted to keep the players, we needed them, and so the price went up.

Now we have a bit of spare cash (hopefully), I would expect Rafa like any manager has a list of players who he would like (Rafa's wish list) and we may be looking nearer the top of that list now,than the bottom. 

We NEED a right back, a defensive midfield player, and possibly a winger (2 if Kewell doesnt return). A top class striker and a top class creative attacking midfielder would be nice as well.

Welcome back Big Mick, hope everything is going great and you and your family soon settle in.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby JC_81 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:12 pm

s@int wrote:In all honesty I think saying Rafa wont pay over the odds for players is a bit of a fallacy. More correctly Liverpool havn't had the money for the the players Rafa has wanted. We paid over the odds for Pennant, Crouch and Garcia, thats not to say they arn't worth what we paid , just that the price we paid was more than their estimated worth at the time.

If it's not the case that Rafa won't pay over the odds for players S@int, then why is Michael Owen on the books of Newcastle United right now and not Liverpool?

By most accounts, the board were ready to pay whatever it took to get Owen back, but Benitez didn't think (and correctly so) that we'd be getting value for money paying 17 million for a player we sold for 8 million a season earlier.

I also cannot agree that we paid over the odds for Garcia.  6 million was a fair estimate of what his worth was at the time I thought, considering the form he showed the season before for Barce.  In hindsight considering the goals he's scored for us, and the importance of some of them, 6 million was a bargain.  He has his critics but I'm definitely a fan of his.
Last edited by JC_81 on Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:24 pm

john craig wrote:
s@int wrote:In all honesty I think saying Rafa wont pay over the odds for players is a bit of a fallacy. More correctly Liverpool havn't had the money for the the players Rafa has wanted. We paid over the odds for Pennant, Crouch and Garcia, thats not to say they arn't worth what we paid , just that the price we paid was more than their estimated worth at the time.

If it's not the case that Rafa won't pay over the odds for players S@int, then why is Michael Owen on the books of Newcastle United right now and not Liverpool?

By most accounts, the board were ready to pay whatever it took to get Owen back, but Benitez didn't think (and correctly so) that we'd be getting value for money paying 17 million for a player we sold for 8 million a season earlier.

I also cannot agree that we paid over the odds for Garcia.  6 million was a fair estimate of what his worth was at the time I thought, considering the form he showed the season before for Barce.  In hindsight considering the goals he's scored for us, and the importance of some of them, 6 million was a bargain.  He has his critics but I'm definitely a fan of his.

I am not saying we got ripped off for any of the players I mentioned ,just that we paid more than what was considered the going rate for them. Garcia was estimated at no more than £5million and Rafa admitted at the time he had to pay more because of Barca's reluctance to sell (and Garcia's reluctance to come).

I am not saying Rafa's a fool with money, just that like every manager if he wants or needs a player he will pay over the odds to get him if he can.

As for Owen I dont honestly think we could afford £17million and his wages.

Postby A.B. » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:54 pm

If money was no object in the summer there's only one player I would like to see wear the red shirt:

Kaka.

A couple of seasons ago I would have laughed at that idea but AC Milan are in a pile of sh!te at the moment and they're having problems climbing up the table.

If he wants a new challenge, why not England? Why not Liverpool?
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:18 pm

Speaking of Kaka, he's scored 2 for Milan tonight.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:27 pm

Kaka would be a bargain at £30million but would probably cost nearer £40million. Would be great to have a player with his ability playing for us though.

Postby A.B. » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:28 pm

s@int wrote:Kaka would be a bargain at £30million but would probably cost nearer £40million. Would be great to have a player with his ability playing for us though.

He would be worth every penny.

Imagine having Alonso,Gerrard and Kaka on the same pitch together. Feck me, we would rip an :censored: in the Premiership.  :laugh:
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby sissoko_22 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:12 pm

kaka might not cost that much if milan continue to go downhill as they are.most of their big names will leave if they arent challenging next season
"A lot of football success is in the mind. you must believe that you are the best and then make sure you are.in my time at liverpool we always said we had the best two teams in mersyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves"  - Bill Shankly
sissoko_22

Postby RedBlood » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:28 pm

i would go for david villa but i cant beleive this guy thinks he will cost 16million?? try 30mill at the least
i would also sign alaves ive watched him a few times and he's top draw, aswell i think with lennon being a fairly local lad we could prise him away from spurs and richards likewise from city.that would just leave a world class player that could unlock any defence in the world, step forward kaka

alaves
richards
lennon
kaka
villa

not a bad start :p
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby RedBlood » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:29 pm

oh shizzle i forgot lahm

coz we need a left back
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:35 pm

s@int wrote:Kaka would be a bargain at £30million but would probably cost nearer £40million.

:laugh:  Sorry lads , I have to laugh whenever I see the words " £30 million " and " Bargain " used in the same sentence .  :D  .

I think Milan signed Kaka in 2003 for around £5 million ,that was a bargain.

You're right about the £40 million Saint , thats the figure Milan have told Madrid they'd have to cough up if they want him .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby aCe' » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:08 pm

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..... kaka would be great....but just think about it....  real want him, and so does every other club in the world with enough money to put out a bid for him... dont think he'll sign for liverpool..
looking at more realistic targets... id say:

Lahm  (leftback)
Dani Alves (rightback)
Ribery  (Right/Left wing)
Klose or Huntelaar (forward)

with such additions + the players we already have (reina, carra, agger, gerrard, sissoko, alonso, kuyt...), i think we'd have a pretty fakin great squad !
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:14 pm

other big names we'll probably be linked to might include:

Vicente (valencia)
Tevez (west ham)
Villa (valencia)
S.Wright Phillips (Chelsea)....
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby monkey 20 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:45 pm

lennon, van der vaart, and....trezeguet :D