First goal - And were flying

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Scottbot » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:23 am

REDS PLAY BEST AFTER TAKING LEAD
Liverpool Echo 13 December 2006 

WHEN Liverpool score first, they're one of the best teams to watch in the country, writes Ian Rush. 

It frustrates me there are two sides to us.

When a game is 0-0, we lack confidence and you feel a match can go either way.

If we concede first, it seems we're destined to lose.

But if Liverpool get ahead, they look fantastic.

I honestly believe if the team gets an early goal in one of their forthcoming fixtures, they could end up winning a game 7-0.

The floodgates well and truly opened against Fulham, and yet before the penalty it looked like it could have gone the same way as the Portsmouth match.

By full-time, it could easily have been seven or 8-0, and it wouldn't have been flattering. Now they're in fourth, it's time for a period of consolidation.

I'd be very disappointed to see Liverpool drift back down the table over the next few weeks.

Christmas is the time the table takes shape, and a top four position is to be expected.

There's no question the second half of the season will be less demanding in terms of fixtures than the first, but Liverpool have been playing catch-up for a while. Now they've caught up, in terms of the top four position, they've got to push on. 

Agree 100% with this and i guess it's been a feature of Benitez's reign. Not sure what the exact stats are but we haven't lost after scoring the first goal for 50 odd games in a row now. It's strange because the lads have pulled off some stunning come-backs in the cups (Milan, Olympiakos West Ham and Luton) but the same belief and reaction does not seem to happen when we fall behind in the league. It's a real puzzle.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:21 am

I think that all teams will have a much much better record of winning when they score first as opposed to conceding first.
Not just liverpool
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion