Alonso back for wigan

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:40 am

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=alonso-boost-but-benitez-frustrated%26method=full%26objectid=18184155%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

Alonso boost but Benitez frustratedNov 30 2006

By Chris Beesley, Daily Post

RAFAEL BENITEZ revealed that Xabi Alonso could be back in the heart of Liverpool's midfield at Wigan on Saturday after he was forced to move Jamie Carragher alongside Steven Gerrard in last night's frustrating 0-0 draw at home to Portsmouth.

Liverpool could have leapfrogged their fourth-placed opponents with a victory but were forced to settle for stalemate despite dominating a one-sided contest from start to finish.

Alonso's creativity in the centre of midfield could prove invaluable in breaking down another set of stern opponents in the shape of Paul Jewell's side at the JJB Stadium and Benitez hopes to have his fellow Spaniard back in contention.

He said after the game: "Maybe Xabi (Alonso) will be available but also we have to check if we have any new injuries today."

Carragher got the nod ahead of Sami Hyypia and Daniel Agger to be the centre-back pushed forward into midfield against Portsmouth and Benitez was relatively pleased with the player's contribution in difficult circumstances in a role he has also occupied for England.

Benitez said: "It's a difficult game for a holding midfielder when the opposition are always behind the ball.

"The idea was for Jamie to keep the ball and move the ball and he was doing his job well.

"I felt we had more problems in the wide areas and we needed to get in the box."

The Spaniard also offered some words of encouragement for winger Jermaine Pennant on what was a frustrating night.

He said: "Jermaine must try to beat players and cross the ball.

"I think he was trying but when you cannot do it then you must play it simple. He continued trying which gives us an option in the wide areas.

"If he is afraid and does not try again then we will not improve. He must keep going and trying to do the right things."

Just what we need, we have got to start picking up points away from home hopefully it will be against Wigan on saturday.
They are playing well at home, but we have to go at them none of this negitive defensive mentality.
Last edited by Ciggy on Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:57 am

I thought the crowd got to Pennant yeaterday - it's very early days to be getting on his back yet. Granted, he hasn't shown much when he's played.

We need to do something different attcking-wise - I'd play Riise left midfield.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:26 pm

As far as public statements from Rafa go, that's harsh criticism for Pennant.  Reading between the lines, Rafa's saying that Pennant plays scared, doesn't try hard enough to drive us forward as a result and then compounds the problem by squandering possession.

I've been trying to support the lad and stay positive about his potential but I'm really starting to doubt whether he has what it takes, mentally, to come good for us.  For as poor as Gonzales has also been at times, he keeps trying.  Ditto Garcia, who always gets stick but always tries to play his game.  With Pennant, if it doesn't happen for him early in the game, he mentally packs it in.

And, fook me, but why does he keep cropping up on the left?  He offers even less out there.  He can't cut in-field against an opposition with 10 men behind the ball and he simply refuses to even attempt a cross on his left foot.  Gerrard played him into space beautifully down the left last night and instead of knocking the ball into the box first time, he tried to cut back onto his right and lost possession in the process.  At least when Gonzales pops up on the right, he'll attempt the odd cross with his weaker foot.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby ConnO'var » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:11 pm

Bad Bob wrote:As far as public statements from Rafa go, that's harsh criticism for Pennant.  Reading between the lines, Rafa's saying that Pennant plays scared, doesn't try hard enough to drive us forward as a result and then compounds the problem by squandering possession.

True.... coming from Rafa, that's as thinly veiled as a threat could be...

Pennant is not doing himself any favours with his attitude and as you rightly pointed out, he's mentally very, very weak. In the small pond of Birmingham, he could do it as theres very little pressure.... but put under the cosh at Anfield, he's crumbling....

For me, the boy just can't cut it in the true upper echelons of football.... Talent is undoubtedly there but wasted due to a weak mind....

Good enough for a mid table or relegation threatened team.... but definitely not for us..... It may have only been a few months, but to my way of thinking, he's had enough chances....

Just hope that we don't lose too much when it's time to offload him...
ConnO'var

Postby crossy11 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:08 pm

Yes i agree, Pennant can look a good player in a weaker side, however for us he doesn't look as good and cannot get with the style of football as easy. He has had enough chances i feel to try to impress the Manager, and sometimes he has but only against weakened sides nearer to the bottom of the table. Personally i would give someone else the chance at right-mid and get Pennant back onto his game.

Aswell as he's ability to play football, he has some sort of anger problem and gets frustrated over things and loses his head at times. He needs to take that out of his game aswell to improve his performance.
crossy11

Postby IRISHFAN » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:51 pm

In fairness, who is really earning their corn on the pitch at the moment? Pennant, Gonzo may be new and need time to settle in, but they are no worse than the rest of them at the moment.
With regards to Riise on the left - anyone is better than Garica - but his distribution is terrible. I think we can talk all day about tactics and watnot but when it comes down to it, the players are not playing well. They are payed, very very handsomely, to do a job and they are simply not doing it. If they were in any other job, they would have being fired by now.
IRISHFAN

Postby Wigan_View » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:48 am

Talking about Wigan, check out this match preview from a Wigan perspective.

http://www.mudhutsmedia.co.uk/modules....sid=337

Enjoy the day lads and lasses.

Thanks for reading.  :cool:
Wigan_View

Postby *_*.SEX.*_* » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:45 am

Funny how Alonso has not made a single difference in his team of Spaniards!
"Where are the goals going to come from?"Image
Hey... why is our goal difference at the top of the table higher than the amount of points you guys--at the mid-table--have? Image

Where are YOUR goals going to come from?!?! Image
*_*.SEX.*_*

Postby blur » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:46 am

I really don't know what was wrong with Pennant. When he first arrived and played during pre-season and our CL qualifiers, he looked very impressive and I was quite excited at the prospect of him marauding down the line. He would pick up the ball from our half, and dribble past players down the line way deep and smack the cross in.

Lately, he seems half-a$$ed with his effort on the ball and he backs off on 50-50 balls. I reckon it's a severe confidence issue and that he probably needs his head rectified. It's not a big pond small pond argument. IMHO, the lad has talent... he just needs to use it to better effect.
blur

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:52 am

*_*.SEX.*_* wrote:Funny how Alonso has not made a single difference in his team of Spaniards!
"Where are the goals going to come from?"Image
Hey... why is our goal difference at the top of the table higher than the amount of points you guys--at the mid-table--have? Image

Where are YOUR goals going to come from?!?! Image

That's Ok mate - we've got more trophies than you've got goals AND points, so I guess that means we're just better than you.  :idea
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kop11 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:05 pm

Aswell as he's ability to play football, he has some sort of anger problem and gets frustrated over things and loses his head at times. He needs to take that out of his game aswell to improve his performance.

i think he has to keep a certin amount of this in his game! need abit of passion!
'i was made for liverpool and liverpool was made for me'

kop11

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion