LIVERPOOL 3 - 1 ASTON VILLA - ALL POST MATCH REACTION HERE PLEASE

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:02 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:Good to see yer back girl. :D

:angry:  Cheers Igor I watched it in the Wooky Hollow on your advice  :angry:   :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:07 pm

Ciggy wrote:secondly what the fuck was that song them manc kunts where singin to Gerrard last week at OT?

Welcome back Lynds  :buttrock

They were singing something like:

steve gerrard gerrard
kisses the badge on his chest
then hands in a transfer request
steve gerrard gerrard

fucking cheeky knob manc twats  :angry:
Last edited by adamnbarrett on Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:10 pm

Lynds, there's all kinds of rumours going round about Gerrards personal life. The scumbags were singing about that. Jonnymac locked a thread on the rumours and has issued a post about the matter . Take a look.

It's in the Steven Gerrard private issues thread.
Last edited by Igor Zidane on Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:14 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:Lynds, there's all kinds of rumours going round about Gerrards personal life. The scumbags were singing about that. Jonnymac locked a thread on the rumours and has issued a post about the matter . Take a look.

It's in the Steven Gerrard private issues thread.

Yer I know whats happened with Alex and him but they where singin some song about her it was feckin awful.

Ta anyway I'll read johns topic.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:02 am

As I seem to be one of Reina's most vocal critics around here of late, I'll quickly acknowledge and applaud the fine save he pulled off in the second half, it was a great save and one that kept us at arms length from Villa.
It was a good performance on Saturday, but I'm not here to burst any bubbles but Aston Villa were woeful in the first half, and O'Neil got his formation wrong and played into our hands IMO. Everyone has been going on about that first half performance like its the best thing since slice bread. I personally didnt see it as that good, we bossed the first half, dominated possesion in which you couldnt really ask for more. But Sorenson wasnt made to work until the 30 th or 40 th minute and against a better side, (exactly like Blackburn game) if they were more dangerous on the break we may of found ourselves 1 down, if you see what I'm saying. Dont get me wrong it was a good first half performance but not as good as some are making out IMO. The first goal was my favourite Kuyt was brilliantly picked out by Hyypia who nodded down to him, the control was first class off the chest then on the bounce Kuyt hit it hard and low across the keeper into the corner. The goal came just at the right time any longer and the crowd may of got frustrated and anxious with it not going our way, and that often translates to the players who then become nervous too. I'd just like to note that for Garcia's goal it was Gerrard who drove through the center to inspire the pass to Garcia, which is something you wont get too often from either Alonso or Momo.
I enjoyed the second half equally, and credit has to go to the ref for allowing those tackles to go flying in (fairly I might add) and letting the game flow it was a typically old English game and Villa came out with a bit more of a spring in there step, but to no avail, and thanks to Reina again for that. I thought Rafa may of given Robbie more playing time and he was unlucky not to score near the end.

All in all a proffesional performance that was dominated in possesion by the Reds and in the end a 3-1 win was justified, long may it continue   :buttrock
66-1112520797

Postby Sabre » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:06 am

The result was very convincing, the game only slightly better.

In football it's so important to score first... once we did it the game was ours. Some of the opositions visiting Anfield are pressing us well up, trying to make Alonso uncomfortable. In last weeks we got a bit nwevous when they did that, and we saw many risky balls from Hyypia that tried to bridge that pressure, leading to dispossesions.

We were better last match in this aspect, and I also reckong the oposition didn't do that good job as some of the teams I've seen lately.

Kuyt's goal was class. That's what Kuyt is. Strenght, powerful shot, he's going to bang a lot of goals for us. Crouch's goal, was YET ANOTHER proof that he's a skillful player. I had to read somewhere (Oasis perhaps) that he had no balance. Well look at that ball.

And what can I say about little Luis?. Obviously he has the support of Anfield, but I don't know when he'll get the support of some members of this forum. Let alone the goal, he put a lot of balls in the box, with some really EXCELLENT stuff. Well protected his wing with Riise, he roamed through the pitch, left and right, inside and outside the box, producing real danger. He scored an important amount of goals last season and the previous one. He's going to score a good amount of goals this year. I don't know why some people do not acknowledge this once and for all.

Good result, now keep working.

Missed the game yesterday through travelling back from me hols anyone know where I can DL it please

Highlights

http://65.61.233.85/lscgozo/video-ac...ver-avilla.wmv

Full game (Best option, specially first half, with torrent)

Tracker site for the first half

http://rapidshare.com/files....nt.html

Tracker site for the second half

http://rapidshare.com/files....nt.html

Sabre

Note to moderators: I've seen that most sites avoid legal troubles by not putting the torrents on the site to download, but I reckon there's not trouble  putting links to sites that have the trackers.

If I'm not right, please delete that part, and I won't do that again (well publicly I mean :) )
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:20 am

This was the first game of this season I managed to get too and if Im honest I was a bit worried.  I really expected a draw, especially the way villa have been set up this season.

I was really impressed first half, Garcia's goal reminded me of the Valencia team that ripped our defence apart a few seasons ago in a european game at Anfield (Can't remember who their manager was at the time??? but he obvoiusly know a bit about pass and move).

The defence where well in control in the first half, but I thought we struggled a bit in the second when they stared pumping long balls in for the 2 bigger strikers they put on at half time.

All in all, I think we have turned a corner.  In another post I wrote that I thought generally speaking we have played well this season, apart from at Old Trafford, and our main problem was that we where not scoring goals.  Well, we have scored 7 in the last 2 games.  Is this the beginning of a run?  Only time will tell.

Well played lads, YNWA
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Redman in wales » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:12 am

BARRY: THE BEST I'VE PLAYED AGAINST

Aston Villa captain Gareth Barry believes Liverpool played some of the best football he has ever faced on Saturday.

The left winger admitted his side couldn't get near the Reds in a first half which ended 3-0 to the home side.

"You've got to give credit to Liverpool, first half. That's some of the best football I've played against, like the Liverpool name, pass and move," he said.

"We struggled to get near the ball in the first half and, when we did, credit to them for closing us down."

Barry also reckons it is only a matter of time before the goals start flying in for Steven Gerrard, who has yet to break his duck this season.

He said: "I'm sure once one goes in, the rest will flood in as well.

"The rest of his game is still there. You saw the work-rate and the spirit he's got, and the way he's captain of a big club like Liverpool.

"The whole team follows him. If he plays well, the whole team do likewise.

"And I was bit relieved I wasn't left-back today."
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:10 pm

Been away for a week guys so I apologise if this has already been mentioned, but I just felt that I would make a point with regards to the performance against Villa.

That was definitely our strongest eleven that started the game and it showed. The players finally looked like the side we thought they'd be from the off: confident, determined and full of movement and aggression. A great mention has to go to Lil' Luis. I thought he was class. His touch, movement and awareness were fantastic and his finish for number three was great. When he plays like that, he's awesome, and imo he should play in every home game.

This has to become the start of something now - and I see no reason why it can't be. I'd like an unchanged side for the next two games to ensure CL progress and another three points in the league prior to the Highbury visit, as a win there could really kick us forward.

However it does beg the question about our transfer dealings ie Quality V Quantity.

At this moment in time and without a drastic change of some players form the team that started against Villa will be the basis of the team that plays most of this season with maybe Aurellio in for Garcia at away games and Agger for Hypia.

That means we've spent the best part of 7m on a squad player for the RM and another 6M on a reserve striker. The old Liverpool way was to spend on quality and not quantity

If you look at Rafa's signings then the only unqualified success was the most expensive. I also think that Kuyt being the second most expensive will prove to be a long term success and Reina beside his blip was worth the money because he is one of 3 players that are first team, first pick players.

The other players are basically squad players, so with what we spent this summer only one player has really improved the first team when to my eyes we needed players to improve the first 11 and not the squad just like in 2002.

This is not having a go, it just a point of view which is that I really hope LFC as a club learn from this and buy top quality and not squad players in our next shopping expedition.
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Redman in wales » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:56 pm

stmichael wrote:However it does beg the question about our transfer dealings ie Quality V Quantity.

At this moment in time and without a drastic change of some players form the team that started against Villa will be the basis of the team that plays most of this season with maybe Aurellio in for Garcia at away games and Agger for Hypia.

That means we've spent the best part of 7m on a squad player for the RM and another 6M on a reserve striker. The old Liverpool way was to spend on quality and not quantity

If you look at Rafa's signings then the only unqualified success was the most expensive. I also think that Kuyt being the second most expensive will prove to be a long term success and Reina beside his blip was worth the money because he is one of 3 players that are first team, first pick players.

The other players are basically squad players, so with what we spent this summer only one player has really improved the first team when to my eyes we needed players to improve the first 11 and not the squad just like in 2002.

This is not having a go, it just a point of view which is that I really hope LFC as a club learn from this and buy top quality and not squad players in our next shopping expedition.

although i do very much agree to with quality over quantity, i think quantity was needed this summer.

With moro and cisse going, we needed more strikers. 2 more really as in todays game you need 4 strikers, not just because rotation, but injuries. Bellamy  is a very useful weapon, but is there another stiker who could come into the team as a third choice striker and deliver when asked possibly in big games?

If so - who? and how much would he cost?

It seems in todays market place - first 11 strikers cost 10 mil and above, third choice seem to cost around 5 or 6 so I dont think 6 mil for bellamy as a squad player is that bad. I think had we had more money, the situation would have been different, but we needed 4 strikers.

Pennant i think is a bit more of a waste, as if gerrard needs a rest/or if he's injured, garcia can play there with gonzo or aurelio on the left. But he does give us something different there and may yet prove his value

again i do agree we need quality which is better than pennant, we wanted alves but couldnt afford him, so with limited finance... a RW for £6mil... is there anyone better?

dont get me wrong, i am in total agreement with quality over quantity, but you can not exist with just 2 quality strikers, without having quantity in the squad, and we cannot afford 4 quality strikers at the mo.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sophe_lfc_4_lyf » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:12 pm

sophe_lfc_4_lyf wrote:I would like to see Fowler on again :D  That goal must of built up his confidence :cool:
I'd also like to see Crouchie start along with Kuyt :D

I thought id bring this post to mind again  :D  :p
I guessed right and it worked like magic  :D  Crouchie and Kuyt did really well together  :D  :p
x

YNWA.. Drummerphil_[*]
sophe_lfc_4_lyf
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:28 pm

Redman in wales wrote:
stmichael wrote:However it does beg the question about our transfer dealings ie Quality V Quantity.

although i do very much agree to with quality over quantity, i think quantity was needed this summer.

With moro and cisse going, we needed more strikers. 2 more really as in todays game you need 4 strikers, not just because rotation, but injuries. Bellamy  is a very useful weapon, but is there another stiker who could come into the team as a third choice striker and deliver when asked possibly in big games?

If so - who? and how much would he cost?

It seems in todays market place - first 11 strikers cost 10 mil and above, third choice seem to cost around 5 or 6 so I dont think 6 mil for bellamy as a squad player is that bad. I think had we had more money, the situation would have been different, but we needed 4 strikers.

Pennant i think is a bit more of a waste, as if gerrard needs a rest/or if he's injured, garcia can play there with gonzo or aurelio on the left. But he does give us something different there and may yet prove his value

again i do agree we need quality which is better than pennant, we wanted alves but couldnt afford him, so with limited finance... a RW for £6mil... is there anyone better?

dont get me wrong, i am in total agreement with quality over quantity, but you can not exist with just 2 quality strikers, without having quantity in the squad, and we cannot afford 4 quality strikers at the mo.

It's a fair point that you make and it really is a conundrum in many ways. Arsenal don't have two players of equal quality for every position, and neither do the Mancs. We definitely need to focus more on quality in future, because the last thing we need is more squad players. Yes, a big squad is important, but if the first team is not improved then your still stuck. However on the other hand, if, for example, Finnan gets injured next game and is out for 3 months, who plays RB? Carra maybe?

OK, so we bring Agger in to play alongside Hyypia and stick Paletta on the bench. Then we spend the next three months praying nothing happens to any of our defenders.

In an ideal world, we'd have two of the best players in Europe in each position and none of them would ever get pi$$ed off if they weren't playing. In the real world, we sometimes have to spend some money to buy a player who isn't first choice because it just isn't an option to buy nobody and have no cover, but first choice is too expensive.

As you say, Pennant is a case in point. We couldn't spend £12m on Alves. We couldn't go into the season with such a threadbare right side to the squad. We bought Pennant because he can do a job. If he blossoms and turns into a complete terror, we've landed a bargain. If he doesn't, he'll do his job until another option presents itself.

I'll admit that we could probably have got Pennant for nearer £4m if it wasn't for the fact that every club in Europe knew that when Liverpool came calling for their RM they could name their price, because we'd been trying to sign a decent one for two seasons. That said, even when we were after Simao at first, his price suddenly rocketed.

As far as I know Chelsea are the only team that don't have to worry about the financial implications of signing someone - we don't have unlimited funds for fees or wages and I don't find that surprising or worrying at all. I don't think that our long term transfer strategy should involve dropping our kecks and inviting our competitors in the PL and CL to hop on for a ride.

That's not to say I'd have any problem with Rafa dropping £30m on a player, just that if he does it must be the right player and the right deal for the club, not some kind of cocksure posturing in order to prove our "big club" status to imbeciles.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion