The friday five - First try

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby dward » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:43 pm

1. As it stands, it does not look that we're going to sign Alves. Do you think that it would be worth getting Pennant for around 6m (as reports suggest) and would he be worth that price?

2. What do you think we should do with our left hand side? We have Aurelio, Riise, Gonzales, Kewell and Zenden. Who should we play and why?

3. If you could have any prize to do with LFC, what would it be? Give reasons.

4. Seeing the excitement around Fowler being given the no. 9 shirt, how important to you is the number a player wears?

5. What was the most enjoyable win you've ever seen against Man U, Everton, Arsenal etc one of the big rivals?

Not the best questions ever, but it'll do. :D
dward
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:49 pm

A good first effort dward :nod

1.  Yes, for 6 million he's worth it at a push.  None of us thought Crouch was worth 7 at first but he's done well, if Benitez goes to 6 for Pennant I think it'll be good business.

2.  Zenden covers the centre.  Aurelio and Riise compete for LB, Kewell and Gonzalez compete for left wing.  Ship out Traore and maybe Warnock too.

3.  Season ticket.  I don't get to nearly enough games.

4.  Not very, as long as they do it on the pitch.

5.  Too many to choose from.  Any win against United or Everton is sweet.  2-0 with 2 Fowler goals at Old Trafford in the mid nineties was sweet, coming from 3 down at Anfield to draw, beating Everton with 10 men last season was also very satisfying.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:58 pm

1. Well Pennant has said today that he would be happy to stay with Brum but TBH I think he could be a good aquisition for the club. But I do not think he is worth 6million, I would pay 5 at the most. I don't think Rafa is a fool and he won't pay this.

2. It all depends whether new signings adapt. I'm sure they will. Riise and Aurelio can compete for LB and Gonzalez and kewell can compete for left wing. It also depends on kewell's fitness. At the moment because I haven't seen much of Aurelio I'll go for Riise and Gonzalez.

3. Become a player for the season, obvious reasons. Impossible but one can dream.

4. I don't see squad numbers as important. Fowler being given number 9 is a bonus because 11 didn't suit him and 9 is the number he will be remembered in by me. As long as the players do the job on the pitch I don't care what number they wear. I'd hate to see players wearing silly numbers like 99.

5. I thought I'd do all of them

Man U - In 2001/2002 when we won 3-1 two owen goals and THAT goal from John Arne Riise..

Everton - Probably the recent one at anfiled, having gerrard sent off they felt they had already won the game but we fought and scrapped and got the win. I celebrated for hours. The stewards had to tell me to get out the ground :D

Arsenal - For me the game where Mellor scored the winner in the last minute but it came close between that and the 4-0 win in 2001.

Chelski - European Cup semi-final second leg at anfield for obvious reasons but the FA Cup semi comes a close second.
Last edited by adamnbarrett on Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby weringo » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:27 pm

dward wrote:1. As it stands, it does not look that we're going to sign Alves. Do you think that it would be worth getting Pennant for around 6m (as reports suggest) and would he be worth that price?

2. What do you think we should do with our left hand side? We have Aurelio, Riise, Gonzales, Kewell and Zenden. Who should we play and why?

4. Seeing the excitement around Fowler being given the no. 9 shirt, how important to you is the number a player wears?

5. What was the most enjoyable win you've ever seen against Man U, Everton, Arsenal etc one of the big rivals?

1. He would certainly be worth the price, if Gerrard is going to be playing on the right next season Pennant would be a very good cover and also useful when Gerrard is used in the centre. Not sure how happy he would be on the bench though as he is a bit of a twat?

2. Last season in defence we were excellent and Riise played his part in this. For this I don't think Aurellio should automatically get his place at left back unless he is really something special, I have never seen him play. On the left wing I think Kewell and Gonzales should be rotated. It's a shame they cannot both play as they are excellent players.

3. Err, a day with Traore? No idea why

4. If the player is happy with his number that's all that matters, as we saw with Cisse having the number 9 shirt doesn't suddenly make you an excellent player.

5. As I was watching the match with 2 United supporters, the win in the FA cup this year was very enjoyable
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby seandundee » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:05 pm

1.Personally i have been very impressed when i have seen Pennant play, 6m is a little more than i would have liked but he is proven at the top level and is English whereas Alves does look good but La Liga is very different and 12m (or whatever it is) is way over the mark for player who essentially is a RB.

2.I would start with Riise at LB and Kewell at LW simply because they are proven at worked very well together last season so i believe why fix what isn't broken. However Gonzalez does look class it just depends on how he works in England. Fabio Aurelio and Zenden will be squad players in my opinion or Zenden will start to operate more central as Rafa has suggested. Then again if we don't get this RW that we've been after Kewell can play very well there as we saw in the FA cup semi

3.Definitely a season ticket i had one in 2002/03 but had to give it up due to finacial reasons    :angry: and i would love to have one back

4.I don't think is too important however i do like to see players given relavent numbers to their postion. I mean when Baros wore 5 what was that all about! Glad to see Robbie wearing 9

5.Definitely the Champions League Semi with Chelsea just to see the smug look wiped off Jose's face after the whole lip-touching incident at the Carling Cup final
Last edited by seandundee on Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seandundee

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:38 pm

dward wrote:1. As it stands, it does not look that we're going to sign Alves. Do you think that it would be worth getting Pennant for around 6m (as reports suggest) and would he be worth that price?

Nice one, lad.  :)

1) I definitely would welcome Pennant, even at 6 million (although, as Adam said, I'm sure Rafa could get that knocked down a bit).  He's proven English talent that I think would, given another chance at a top club, get his head down and seize his chance.  In fact, I wouldn't mind getting Pennant even if we get Alves.  If Kromkamp goes, I can see Alves being used at RB on occasion and it would be handy to have Pennant on hand in those situations (or if Alves is simply not up to the tough-slog mid-winter away games).

2) The left side is perfectly sorted now, for me.  Kewell and Gonzo will compete/rotate at LM if both are fit.  It looks like Kewell will continue to struggle with niggling injuries, however, so I expect that Gonzo will get lots of games and will soon make himself first choice at LM.  As for LB, I think Riise and Aurelio will share the position a lot this season.  Again, for those tough-slog games I expect Riise will be the man, while Aurelio might get more action when we play the likes of Arsenal or when Rafa shakes up the formation.  The fact the either could deputize at LM is also a bonus.  (Zenden will move to 4th-choice CM, I think).

3) A season ticket seems a bit unfeasible given I'm in Canada.  How about a job as Canadian liason for the club--a job, naturally, that involves a lot of all-expenses paid trips to Anfield and includes full access to all the facilities.  Oh, and perhaps a kick about with some of the first teamers would be part of the whole package!  :buttrock

4) Numbers don't matter that much to me, TBH.  I wish that certain players would keep the same number over the course of their Liverpool career, though.

5) Too many to mention, really.  The Semi-Final win over Chelsea was just so sweet.  That one has to top the list.  A special nod to the 2-1 victory over Arsenal at Anfield the year before last though--watched that one in a pub full of a.rse supporters (Nothing worse than ex-pat cockneys!) and I just loved the look on their faces when Mellor scored!  :laugh:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby dawson99 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:51 pm

1: I wouldnt wanna rush buy with Pennant. I do rate the lad and from what ive read lately he does seem to be maturing, but id only buy him as a first choice, not because we cant get someone else, if that makes sense.

2: the old left side question. We must have it sorted now, and Id love to play kewell there if he could stay fit and keep improving for us. In all honesty tho we can tinker a bit in this area, and not many clubs can do that on the left!!!

3:any prize to do with lfc?
Id like to hold a party on the pitch, end of season, my bands there, celebrating winning the league, all me mates there, all the players, and some damn fine totty too, not totti, hes not playing for us

4: The number is only really important to the player. if robbies happy, im happy.

5: My most enjoyable win would be when robbie scored the fastest hat trick against the gooners. Also the fa cup final where owen ran the defence ragged (i was surrounded by gooners.)
Any manc win is a great win and i wouldnt wanna single any one out. but beating cheatski in the champs league, that will take some beating when you see the people i was surrounded by watching that match!!!

great qs dude!!!
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:29 pm

1. We need a right winger. Simple as. He's worth £6m if Rafa thinks that he is worth £6m. I think he'd be good and certainly a long term prospect.

2. Horses for courses.

3. To be one of Rafa's scouts.

4. For them, I don't care. As long as it's not one of their unlucky ones, they should be fine. I suppose that being associated with a previous great is nice, but I'd rather each player made their own number legendary.

5. The 3-2 win over Everton when Gary Mac scored the winner after Igor had been sent off. It was on TV the other day and I loved it.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Feeney » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:12 am

1. Pennant is nowhere near worth £6m as he's done nothing more than look half decent in a relegated side. The fact that he is English and has a glint of promise is driving the price up. There's more 'commited' players out there.

2. I've already stated this in another thread - Aurelio and Gonzalez. You just don't chase players the way Rafa has done with these two if you don't intend on playing them.

3. I'd love to be involved in bringing young players into the club - i've got a couple of relations who are going thru the ranks at the min and i'd be facinated to discover the workings and reasonings behind who makes it and who doesn't. The Academy is an awesome sight (those that have been there will testify) and i'd love to be part of it.

4. Not as much as in the past where the shirt you wore determined if you played. Infact, i'd say shirt number neither holds the prestige it did, nor detirmines if you will play or not.

5. Mot enjoyable win? Might sound strange, but the one game that comes back to me is the (I, think first) game against Chelsea at Anfield where we won 1-0 with a late, late, Smicer goal. What a smug sence of satisfaction I felt after that game!!!  :D  :D The most enjoyable full stop for me was the 3-3 against Man U - it epitomised the never say die attitude that has been with us to this very day.  :buttrock

Feeney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:20 am

Good quiz there mate

1. I think Pennant has ability and that Rafa would be able to deal with any personal problems Pennant has, 6million is a lot of money though (although Crouch for 7 and that proved inspired) but I think if Rafa wants him then he'll pay the correct price for him, if he thinks 6 then 6 is fine by me!

2. Riise and Aurelio as the 2 left backs and Kewell and Gonzalez on the left wing.  As Aurelio may need time to adapt (although then again he might not) I'd be inclined to go with Riise at the start of the season at least as first choice and Gonzalez on the left with Kewell as backup with Zenden operating as a backup player in the centre of the park.

3. A trial with Liverpool, I've just come back from a long injury and got my spot back with the Australian U16's (my last year tho) and as a Liverpool fan, there's no other club I'd rather get the chance to trial for  :hearts

4. I don't think its that important, although after abot number 30 I think its a bit silly.  I start all my games for my school, club and my rep teams on the right wing but 17 is my favourite number so its what I always wear, i wear it for First XI cricket too and I would for Rugby if it wasnt a bench player... I don't think numbers are that important, I mean ffs you can't even see the number on yourself while your playing!

5. Beating Chelsea in the Champions League, or our last gasp win over Arsenal with Mellor's winner, or our 10-man win over Everton.  The 2001 FA cup win over Arsenal was great as well.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby NiftyNeil » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:03 am

1. Id go for Pennant. At £6M, he's at a good price. He always plays a blinder against us.

2. Riise (LB) Kewell(RW) should start in those positions. It's then up to the new boys to dislodge them, and prove themselves. This is Liverpool FC - you can't just walk into the first team.

3. I'm in to photography, so I'd love to be given a prize that allows me to be the official team photographer for the season. NiftyNeil's season in photo's - has a good ring to it eh? 

4. I'm old fashioned when it comes to numbers. The first team should be given 1-11 before the season starts, and then everyone else should be allocated the rest. Thes numbers should be reviewed every summer.
I also think people should earn their numbers (especially 7  9 and 10)

5. My favourite was the 3-2 over Everton when Gary Mac scored. It was so dramatic and so important to us at the time - and we were down to 10 men. That was my favourite game of the treble season too.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RichardLFC1 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:38 am

1. Most definetly. We do need a rw and Pennant is a great one signing him for 6 million would be a great idea

2. Well id have gonzales as our lw and Risse as our lb. I havent seen much off aurelio but risse defends well and is great overlapping.

3. Probably Playing along side Steven gerrard in the centre midfeild. We'd Make a great midfeild partnership.

4. For me its Traditional for your 1st choice keeper to have number one.Your Right/ Left Winger to wear number 7. Your Centre midfeild to wear 6/8 and your strikers to wear Numbers 9 and 10 but it dont make a diffrence how they play.

5. Probably Last seasons Fa cup semi- final with chelsea. It was a great and nerve rackig game and chelsea thought they had it but we showeed them that money dont always buy you cups.

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby joko » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:24 am

1. we're one of the biggest club in europe,  6 quids should not be too much (let alone for madrid and cheatsk -in this case for a class of pennant). buy him before the latest minutes over

2. start with kewell and riise until we convince enough that gonzales and aurellio are up for the duty

3 owner of a pub (officially licensed as LFC partner) that is the most frequent visited by all LFC members

4 if the given player thinks it's important, then it is

5. not very easy to pick, there are some, one is of course champion league beating chelsea
ImageImage Image
joko
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:57 pm

good effort there dward. you should do this more often lad, give me a rest and all that. :D

in answer to your questions:

1. Yes. The deal will happen. Steve Bruce is already looking for a replacement for Pennant as we speak.

2. Difficult to say really. As much as I like Riise I still have question marks about his positional play defensively at times. If Aurelio is a better defender then I'd be tempted to give him the nod at left back. In terms of the left wing I can see Gonzalez possibly starting against Sheffield United because Kewell is injured I believe? However if he can get himself fit for five minutes, I can see Kewell competing toe to toe with Gonzalez for the left wing position. Also note how Benitez seems to always play Kewell in major finals.

3. To be able to conduct a face to face interview with Rafa myself, so that I could ask him the questions that I want answered as a Liverpool fan at this current time.

4. Doesn't bother me in the slightest, although seeing the likes of Smicer and Clough wearing the number 7 shirt down the years after all that was great before it made my blood boil at times.

5. So many to choose. The 3-3 against Manure from 3-0 down. Gary Mac's last gap winner at Goodison 2001. However I've got to go for the Semi Final against Chelsea at Anfield in the CL. Quite simply the most breathtaking atmosphere I've ever experienced at a football match. Oh yeah, the site of Terry, Lampard et al crying at the end was also priceless. :D
Last edited by stmichael on Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby lakes10 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:07 pm

The Best prize...come on you lot it got to be this.

Spend a whole year with the liverpool team, be with them before every game and every meeting, be on the same plane with them .

this way you will get to know all the players and get to see every game.....oh and stay in some nice hotels when you are away with them.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion