Which liverpool game left you devastated.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby main stander » Tue May 30, 2006 6:24 pm

Effes wrote:After much thought - I've never been so gutted as the 1988 FA Cup v Wimbledon. The YNWA at the end was the best I've witnessed.

Recently, the 4-1 at home to Chelsea.
You can't say much when you get a 4-1 tonking at home.

Can't say I agree Efes.

Our fans were wonderful against Wimbledon and the pride I felt at our reaction to the defeat with their players as well as ours probably mitigated how bad I felt about the actual result.

Against Arsenal at Anfield I was just numb and at that time I have to say football just wasn't as important as it was before that and thankfully is again now. The end of that season including the FA final against Everton is still a haze.

The 4-1 defeat against Chelsea was a freak result. We deserved to get beaten but not by that score. It didn't hurt so bad.

Strangely enough, the defeat by Arsenal in the 87 Littlewood's cup final got to me the most. I've no idea why - two really freaky goals and Rushy's record of never being defeated once he'd scored disappearing before he disappeared probably did it for me. Plus Kenny coming on near the end as sub and finally showing his age. A really low moment.

But I always remember Kenny's reaction to it and the following season was the best football I've ever witnessed at Anfield. What a team 87-88 was.
main stander

Postby redmikey » Tue May 30, 2006 7:31 pm

new years day  ipswich 0-1  hungover cold and the worst football game i can remember, one of the only times i wish i hadn't gone to the game

and any defeat by the bitters and mancs just for the having to go into work the monday after
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby Effes » Tue May 30, 2006 7:42 pm

main stander wrote:
Effes wrote:After much thought - I've never been so gutted as the 1988 FA Cup v Wimbledon. The YNWA at the end was the best I've witnessed.

Recently, the 4-1 at home to Chelsea.
You can't say much when you get a 4-1 tonking at home.

Can't say I agree Efes.

Our fans were wonderful against Wimbledon and the pride I felt at our reaction to the defeat with their players as well as ours probably mitigated how bad I felt about the actual result.

Against Arsenal at Anfield I was just numb and at that time I have to say football just wasn't as important as it was before that and thankfully is again now. The end of that season including the FA final against Everton is still a haze.

The 4-1 defeat against Chelsea was a freak result. We deserved to get beaten but not by that score. It didn't hurt so bad.

Strangely enough, the defeat by Arsenal in the 87 Littlewood's cup final got to me the most. I've no idea why - two really freaky goals and Rushy's record of never being defeated once he'd scored disappearing before he disappeared probably did it for me. Plus Kenny coming on near the end as sub and finally showing his age. A really low moment.

But I always remember Kenny's reaction to it and the following season was the best football I've ever witnessed at Anfield. What a team 87-88 was.

Bizarre.

I started typing out about the 87 Littlewoods Cup Final, but thought I'd just mention the Wimbledon one.

What I hated about the 1-4 defeat was the scoreline - it just looks really bad.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby main stander » Tue May 30, 2006 8:09 pm

And as for the match that didn't hurt the most but was the most depressing and best indication of how far we had fallen at one point. It has to be a home last minute defeat against (I think) Leicester in the 98-99 season. To flag your memories it was on the same night United were beating Juventus in Turin to reach the European Cup final.

Utterly, utterly deflating and depressing. Think I was so depressed I left the ground early thinking we had got a meaningless draw.
main stander

Postby Effes » Tue May 30, 2006 8:29 pm

main stander wrote:And as for the match that didn't hurt the most but was the most depressing and best indication of how far we had fallen at one point. It has to be a home last minute defeat against (I think) Leicester in the 98-99 season. To flag your memories it was on the same night United were beating Juventus in Turin to reach the European Cup final.

Utterly, utterly deflating and depressing. Think I was so depressed I left the ground early thinking we had got a meaningless draw.

OK Mike.
Thought I knew you.

See you at half time at the first game next season.

:p
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue May 30, 2006 8:29 pm

Liverpool 0 2 Arsenal 1989, absolutely no other contender.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Honolulu Bob » Tue May 30, 2006 9:20 pm

1977 and getting beat 2-1 by the Mancs.
A flukey winner and the losing the chance at the treble only made it worse.
First time I went to Wembley, was only a kid and cried my bloody eyes out.  :(

1996 was nearly as bad, we were bloody awful and that shi.tbag Cantona scoring the winner was bloody sickening!!  :angry:
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room. It's for fun
Honolulu Bob
LFC Super Member

Postby Judge » Wed May 31, 2006 7:43 am

JBG wrote:Liverpool 0 2 Arsenal 1989, absolutely no other contender.

i remember feeling that my heart had been ripped out from that match

michael fucking thomas  :angry:

then we bought him  :angry:
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Wed May 31, 2006 9:51 am

Dalglish wrote:
Mikz wrote:The 1978 Fa cup semi Final , when Jimmy Greenhoff scored the winner for Man U -that was a balling match for me  :down:
I remember around the same time one of the Notts Forest defeats left me devastated too :down:

It was 1977 Mikz , your not having a good day are you  :D

No I meant the 1978 semi Final replay, we lost 1-0 to a Jimmy greenhoff header :down:
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Honolulu Bob » Wed May 31, 2006 10:42 am

Mikz wrote:
Dalglish wrote:
Mikz wrote:The 1978 Fa cup semi Final , when Jimmy Greenhoff scored the winner for Man U -that was a balling match for me  :down:
I remember around the same time one of the Notts Forest defeats left me devastated too :down:

No I meant the 1978 semi Final replay, we lost 1-0 to a Jimmy greenhoff header :down:

That was 1979. Replay was at Woodison, another one to try and forget  :(
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room. It's for fun
Honolulu Bob
LFC Super Member

Postby Judge » Wed May 31, 2006 12:13 pm

Honolulu Bob wrote:
Mikz wrote:
Dalglish wrote:

mikz you dumb fuck :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed May 31, 2006 5:40 pm

Honolulu Bob wrote:
Mikz wrote:
Dalglish wrote:

and the following year when we lost to arsenal in the semi`s after about four replay`s, in one of the replays kenny scored an equaliser with the last kick of the game at villa park to take it to another replay and i thought our name was on the cup after that.
sadly it wasnt.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed May 31, 2006 7:37 pm

The 88 Cup Final was a real sickener. However, the Wombles scored early enough for us to do something about it, only for Dave f*cking Beasant had his one and only champagne moment. Hilarious to think he made a few England squads on the back of that one save. :D

The real, real killer was the 89 title decider though, when Arsenal landed the hammer blow when there was absolutely no time to do anything about it. Just an awful, awful feeling. Michael Thomas' poncy backward roll after he'd scored just makes me want to throw something at someone. It'll be a long time before a title goes THAT close to the end of the season, and I just hate that we were on the wrong end of it.

A few people have mentioned the 4-3 loss to Crystal Palace in the Cup Semi-Final. Simply unbelievable result. We'd beaten them 11-0 over 2 league games in the previous 6 months, but we completely fluffed our lines with the Cup at our mercy. I don't know what odds you'd have got for a Palace win by that scoreline before the match, but I bet some optimistic f*cker got rich off the back of it.

As for the 96 Cup Final...I was working that day, and had been utterly depressed for weeks as I just couldn't wangle my way out of the shift. A couple of mates came to see me after the game, and told me the whole sorry tale. I taped the match, intending to watch it when I got home, but that tape has never been viewed. I don't think I saw the Cantona goal until about 4 years after the event, on one of those Sky Football Years things.
ivor_the_injun

Postby The Red Baron » Wed May 31, 2006 7:45 pm

yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:
Honolulu Bob wrote:
Mikz wrote:
Dalglish wrote:

and the following year when we lost to arsenal in the semi`s after about four replay`s, in one of the replays kenny scored an equaliser with the last kick of the game at villa park to take it to another replay and i thought our name was on the cup after that.
sadly it wasnt.

I remember going to all those games against Arsenal,before losing to them at Highfield Rd,[Coventry] a sickener.
You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older.
Little things like being spanked every day by a middle-aged woman.Stuff you pay good money for later in llife
The Red Baron
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Crouchamania » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:27 pm

Have you all forgotten about that man u game this season that was sickening
RIP Drummerphil YNWA

JFT96 Don't buy The S*n

Crouchamania

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion