Fernando Morientes - Leaves Liverpool FC for Valencia

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bad Bob » Sat May 27, 2006 5:37 pm

Apparently it's all done a dusted now according to Soccernet ...

Nando had some interesting comments on the transfer:

I knew it wasn't going to be a problem,' Morientes told local newspaper Las Provincias. 'My only concern was that the clubs would not find an agreement.

'It's something that I wanted, I had two years left on my contract with Liverpool but this option came along and I had no doubts, it was my only option.

'It was very clear to me that had I not gone to a club like Valencia, I wouldn't have left at all.'

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez led Valencia to two Primera Liga titles and a UEFA Cup during his three-year spell with the club before going to Anfield in 2004.

But Morientes insists he didn't need any encouragement from the Reds boss before deciding to make the move to the Mestella.

'We've spoken a lot but he didn't have to say anything specific about Valencia,' added the former Real Madrid striker.

'It is a great club and for any professional it's a great opportunity to play there.

'This is a challenge for me and I want to win titles for Valencia.

'It was a big disappointment not to be included in the World Cup squad but I think signing for Valencia has cured this wound, you have to turn the page.'

------
He sounds satisfied with the move and seems to be acknowledging that he wasn't really happy with us.  It's worked out fairly well for everyone, besides, of course, the 3 million or so lost on the transfer!
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Sat May 27, 2006 7:28 pm

Bad Bob wrote:'It is a great club and for any professional it's a great opportunity to play there.

'This is a challenge for me and I want to win titles with...

Hmm, I seem to remember him saying the same thing when he came to Liverpool

He could have said thank you to to the Liverpool fans for supporting him even though he was not scoring
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sat May 27, 2006 7:48 pm

kazza wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:'It is a great club and for any professional it's a great opportunity to play there.

He could have said thank you to to the Liverpool fans for supporting him even though he was not scoring

If you could call almost every fan turning against him in August "support".  As soon as the new season started fans started to turn against him, hell the official board had "Morientes Out" message from August and that carried on all season.

Many people gave up on him early into last season and he knew it, that's why he never mentioned Liverpool. It wouldn't surprise me if he never mentions us again.
48-1119859832

Postby shanks72 » Sat May 27, 2006 9:55 pm

I wish Morientes every success at Valencia.

He may not have managed the goals for us, but he was a thoroughly decent player, who deserves to do well, I think.

(And I shall miss his pretty face!)

:D
Image Image

REST IN PEACE DRUMMERPHIL, YNWA

underneath are the everlasting arms
deuteronomy 33:27
shanks72
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Mon May 29, 2006 8:11 pm

0asis wrote:
kazza wrote:

If you could call almost every fan turning against him in August "support".  As soon as the new season started fans started to turn against him, hell the official board had "Morientes Out" message from August and that carried on all season.

Many people gave up on him early into last season and he knew it, that's why he never mentioned Liverpool. It wouldn't surprise me if he never mentions us again.

Mori - who?  Morientes got enough support off the Kop each and every time he played. He got more support than Cisse ever got and did he ever acknowledge it?

I clearly remember against Fulham this year when we won 5 -1 and he scored, Cisse ran over to congratulate him and he pushed him away, he was moody, and IMO was not worthy of that red shirt. Did it put fire in his belly? Did he try as hard as he could? The answer would be no. He was a good player but was quite happy to sit back on his £50,000 a week contract.

"I had better offers but I came to Liverpool, because its not about the money"

Total lie. When you run out onto that field your meant to go down fighting - Mori never did. This year at the F.A Cup final he said its his final, him showing his true colours to the LFC fans - well he did that alright.

Goodbye and good riddance Fernando.  :veryangry
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion