I'm going out on a limb here - Bold prediction

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby azriahmad » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:16 am

When was the last time we had a 20+ a season midfield goalscorer?

Was it Terry Mac in the early 80s or was it John Wark who scored impressively and consistently from midfield in the season 1984/85 when we finished second to Neverton and reached the European Cup final against Juve? I don't remember John Barnes scoring that many despite his numerous assists.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:07 pm

azriahmad wrote:When was the last time we had a 20+ a season midfield goalscorer?

Was it Terry Mac in the early 80s or was it John Wark who scored impressively and consistently from midfield in the season 1984/85 when we finished second to Neverton and reached the European Cup final against Juve? I don't remember John Barnes scoring that many despite his numerous assists.

john barnes mate. i think it was the 89-90 season if memory serves me right.

just on gerrard though, if there's a better midfielder in the world then i want to see him. he was absolutely immense yesterday. not just the goals, but the drive, the passing, the link up play. it was just everything you could ever want from a midfield player.

i'm going out on a limb here. next season gerrard will score 20+ goals again. :oops:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby The_Rock » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:13 pm

stmichael wrote:i'm going out on a limb here. next season gerrard will score 20+ goals again. :oops:

R we also gonna win the champions league ?  :D
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:16 pm

it was a lucky guess st. mike - just playing the odds. :D

we all know gerrards going to get goals and we all knew after last season's heroics he would be well in line for the players award.

tell me the exact number of goals he'll score from outside the box at the annie road end next season and if you're right i'll grudgingly concede you a degree of mysticness.

:;):

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:19 pm

andy_g wrote:it was a lucky guess st. mike - just playing the odds. :D

we all know gerrards going to get goals and we all knew after last season's heroics he would be well in line for the players award.

tell me the exact number of goals he'll score from outside the box at the annie road end next season and if you're right i'll grudgingly concede you a degree of mysticness.

:;):

talk to the hand :talktothehand

:D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby crazyhorse » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:55 pm

Good guess....

I think from hence forth you should change your name to Yoda!

:p

A pity we did not have someone in front of Stevie to really make those goals count by banging in another 25....
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:20 pm

azriahmad wrote:When was the last time we had a 20+ a season midfield goalscorer?

Digger scored 22 goals in the Premiership and 28 in all competitions one season.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:13 pm

Indeed it was a very good prediction, but maybe the 20 goal thing is a bit distorted by the Champions League qualifiers, but good call on PFA PLAYER OF THE YEAR thing.

I think all would agree that the constant speculation affected both Gerrard and the whole club during the 2004/2005 season. That is why it so important to have some stability and continuity in order to build success, something we are finally getting.

Gerrard has undoubtedly been our best player this season, doing a tremendous job on the right. He has been our main creative influence and our main goal threat, that is some achievement. I always say that a quality attacking midfielder will aim for 10 league goals from 38 league games, Gerrard has played as an attacking midfielder this season and has achieved that, brilliant.

Next season it seems likely that he will move back into the centre with a new right midfielder expected to arrive, lets hope he can be just as effective. What we need to do is to get in maybe 2 more match winners next season who can help lift some of the burden, all though we are a good side without Gerrard, no one can deny that he makes up a massive part of us, and this is something that needs to be addressed.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion