Gutted for ged - lyon out

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:58 am

teamleader1 wrote:Agreed- where did this myth that he inherited a bunch unfit lazy boozers come from?

that came from houller himself, its easier to say stuff like that to buy yourself time.

and oasis, fair enough, you want to make you point heard to other liverpool fans, but how about trying to do it without the abuse. also at no point have i said you are wrong, you are entitiled to your opinion just as i am to mine and i will stick with mine.

of course i celebrated when we won three trophies, did i celebrate the other two? not that much because i could see them games for the showpieces they were, thats not ignorant, thats just having the balls to not follow blindly what is actually happening.

the garden is not always rosy mate, if you choose to go through life with that perspective then good luck to you.

like i have said before and will always say, houllier was bad for liverpool football club and no argument you put up can change that opinion. figures and points dont lie
112-1077774096

Postby babu » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:13 am

To be fair Oasis, i didn't see any post where peewee said he hated Houllier (i could be wrong), he simply stated that Houllier over his reign was not good for LFC. In those terms I agree with him.

I do respect him for his passion, for the trophies and because he was the manager. Did he leave the club in better shape than he got it? no. Could we have been better under a different manager, maybe.

I can't see anything wrong in looking back and evaluating his reign in charge of LFC, so long as its respectfull.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:15 am

cheers babu, someone with common sense.

im still not gonna bum you though      :p
112-1077774096

Postby babu » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:44 am

Peewee I think you may be catching Judge's Innuendo diease. Next you'll be altering peoples quotes.
:D

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:20 am

babu wrote:Peewee I think you may be catching Judge's gay diease. Next you'll be altering peoples quotes.
:D

i will never alter peoples quotes

:oops:
112-1077774096

Postby JC_81 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:44 am

It's a topic that has cropped up on a number of occasions on here but it's still interesting to see the range of different views that our fans have of Houllier.

I look at it this way.  Our club was a shambles at the end of the Evans era.  Off the pitch the players did as they liked and on the pitch they only played when they felt like it.  Souness bought a lot of rubbish and arguably that's where the slide started, but Evans was not blameless, he made a lot of buys that didn't work out either and how many years in a row did he fail to sort out our centre half and goalkeeper position?  A blind man could see that's where our weaknesses were.

Houllier started well.  He was the disciplinarian the club needed and his willingness to release England Internationals James and Ince for nominal fees showed he would take no nonsense.  Mobile phones were banned from the training ground, training was taken more seriously and he immediately sorted out our defence - Westerveld, Henchoz, Hyypia and Hamann became the defensive diamond on which the team was built.  While we converted to a less attractive counter-attacking style, it's what we needed to do imo, previously our team didn't know how to defend.

For the first few seasons we made steady progress, the football was poor but we were hard to beat and there was a fighting spirit not previously present, most fans seemed satisfied we were moving forward.  Then came the treble and then a league finish above United the season after.  This was the crucial stage, we had gone as far as the counter-attacking style would take us, Houllier just didn't know it.

The next season we moved backwards and failed to qualify for the champions league, the team started to lose confidence in Houllier.  His excuses became more and more frequent for bad results and eventually the fans lost trust in him.  His decision not to sign Duff and Anelka for the same cash he spent on Diouf, Diao and Cheyrou basically sealed his fate.

In his last season he took the shackles off the team and abandoned the defensive tactics.  The trouble was Henchoz had badly lost form and he was trying to convert Biscan to CB, which few people ever saw working.  Subsequently we lost a lot of goals that season and only finished in a CL spot because Newcastle finished the season so badly.

In summary Houllier was the type of manager we needed at the time.  If he'd left after 3 years he'd have left as a hero.  The truth is though he stayed too long.  I remember thinking at the time that he wasn't the same after the heart surgery, not as ruthless, he let his players away with more.  Ultimately though it was the money he spent on players who weren't good enough that was the last straw.  He left the club with a better infrastructure, the youth academy and a better set of players imo, but at what cost?  Financially we must be far worse off for Houllier's reign.  Sadly at the end of Houllier's spell we were no closer to winning the Premiership than when he arrived.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:49 am

excellent post john
112-1077774096

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:49 am

peewee wrote:the garden is not always rosy mate, if you choose to go through life with that perspective then good luck to you.

Please don't patronise me about the way the world works. Allow me to re-explain the point I was trying to make. I know Houllier made wrong choices that affected our chances of winning the league, as John said we should of signed players like Duff & Anelka, not Diouf, Diao and Cheyrou.

Houllier should of changed his dull tactics of just playing the ball to Owen and letting him find the net. So yes I can see all the wrong that Ged did during his reign at Liverpool, and I'm not going to lie in his final season I wanted him gone. I wanted a change, I didn't want to see the horrid style of football we had been playing.

But no matter how many faults Ged made - I've wiped the slate clean and I have just choosen to remember the good times instead of the bad times with Ged.

John said that Ged should of perhaps left after his heart op and perhaps he should of left! but Ged being the strong characther that he is chose not to and okay we went backwards but surely respect must be given where it's due.

You may hate Ged and think he was bad for the club but all I'm asking is why can't all Liverpool fans respect Ged? After all he's one of us, a Liverpool fan.....
48-1119859832

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion