Left sided players - Do we have to many ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Hotrod » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:59 pm

Hey all. I was just thinking about this mouring and it came to me that we have and will have a huge abundance of left sided players.
Right now we have Riise, Zenden,Kewell,Warnock, Troare. The only one of those I can see leaving is Troare and possibly Warnock(maybe on loan). And looking to next season we have Gonzales and with Bentiz having his Valancia connections I can see this Aurollio guy coming as well. I know Zenden and Kewell can play right hand side but it hampers their game and all these player (bar Troare) have sweet left foots. So how we gonna fit them all in the team or even the matchday squad for that matter. I cant see it
Any Ideas Lads
P.S sorry if this is as stuid post I know how much u guys hate em.
"GUYVER"
Hotrod

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:43 pm

Hotrod wrote:Right now we have Riise, Zenden,Kewell,Warnock, Troare. The only one of those I can see leaving is Troare and possibly Warnock(maybe on loan). And looking to next season we have Gonzales and with Bentiz having his Valancia connections I can see this Aurollio guy coming as well.

I think that, next season, Zenden will primarily be used in central midfield as back-up.  As John Craig mentioned in the Zenden thread, he's lost some pace in the last few years and may have lost even more following the knee injury.  As such, he probably won't provide the pace that's needed down the left touchline.

I also think that both Traore and Warnock will be sold if Aurelio (Sp?) comes in.

That leaves Kewell, Riise, Gonzalez and maybe Aurelio (again Sp?) on the left...Kewell and Gonzalez battling for LM and Riise and the Brazilian (  :D ) competing for LB.

So, no, IMHO I don't think we have too many left-sided players.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby redmikey » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:56 am

Warnock won't go anywhere he is good solid cover for the left side and you have to give new players from abroad a season to settle in
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby red_guy » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:51 am

Traore's leaving next season. Warnock? don't think so..a back up? maybe...
Zenden in the middle? that's a good idea. He did well during the boro days...
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Hotrod » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:57 am

I get what you guys are saying but Zenden being a good centre Midfielder would not make into our centre mid with Gerrard Xavi Momo and Hamman to stay another year, Troare does look the most likely to leave but he signed a 4 year deal in the summer so I dunno for me its gotta be Zenden and Troare to go at the least.
"GUYVER"
Hotrod

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:33 pm

I would like to see us get rid of Kewell, Zenden and Traore.

Gonzales and Aurelio to come in gives us plenty of options on the left hand side.
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby RED ANT » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:56 pm

HacksawJimDuggin wrote:I would like to see us get rid of Kewell, Zenden and Traore.

Gonzales and Aurelio to come in gives us plenty of options on the left hand side.

kewell is improving no end now his injury problems are behind him. with his ability it would be crazy to sell him now.

haven't seen enough of mark gonzalez to know if he would be a better option then kewell but regardless having the 2 of them competing for the left wing is only gonna benefit the team.

for me with riisa at left back competing with whoever comes in or warnock things look good for next season but definatly not crowded.

as for troure i think his new contract was just to make him more valuable to sell this summer.
RED ANT

Postby Redman in wales » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:56 pm

HacksawJimDuggin wrote:I would like to see us get rid of Kewell, Zenden and Traore.

???   getting rid of kewell and zenden..... how does that give us 'plenty of options' on our left wing?

Gonzo is good, but he's young, and prob wont be a first team regular for us next season. Espec before xmas

So first choise would be Riise and Aurelio on the left every game, then when they need a rest, gonzo and warnock?

No, I would keep one more left winger... what if Aurelio is one of those players who excell in other leagues but need some adjusting time in our league. What if injury + suspension?

would be good to keep on of Kewell/Zenden if not both.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:07 pm

If, as expected, Gonzalez and Aurelio sign, then yes, we need to let 1 or maybe 2 players go.

Traore's got to go, he's far from good enough and I'm not going into detail about why because I've said it a hundred times.

I expect Warnock may also be allowed to leave if a reasonable bid comes in, Riise has sorted the defensive side to his game out and Warnock basically has no chance of replacing him on a regular basis.  If Aurelio signs then Warnock will be even further from the team.  Have to say I like Warnock, but he may be slightly below the quality we need at this club.

For those suggesting getting rid of Zenden and Kewell I think that's harsh.  Zenden can be used in the centre as I've said before and Kewell has been one of our best players since the turn of the year so I'd keep him.  Kewell's missed a lot of football and as good as he's playing I still think he has another gear to go up, plus Benitez seems to be a fan of his.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tomgalanis » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:25 pm

Well, with Gonzalez to come in, we really are spoiled for choice. Wouldn't be this way if any of them were consistent enough. Kewell is the man if he keeps his form up. Just an interesting development... any one keen on Pires? He's going to leave Arsenal, has been linked to Villareal, but would definitely add some consistency to the left/right flanks.
tomgalanis

Postby stmichael » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:29 pm

john craig wrote:I expect Warnock may also be allowed to leave if a reasonable bid comes in, Riise has sorted the defensive side to his game out and Warnock basically has no chance of replacing him on a regular basis.  If Aurelio signs then Warnock will be even further from the team.  Have to say I like Warnock, but he may be slightly below the quality we need at this club.

i agree with this. i think warnock is one of the so called "fringe players" who we could get a decent amount of money for.

however in general i think it's a bit harsh to say that we've got "too many" left sided players as left footers are usually like goldust. we should count ourselves lucky that we have plent of options down this side. it's also magnified more because we have absolutely nothing down the right.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ynwa » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:36 pm

Gonzalez wont get into first team for a while
kewell is inproving as every game he plays
zenden will be a back up to kewell and riise
Traore what can i say apart from good bye and f uck off u useless pieces of :censored:
risse 1st team player
i think we have got lesft side sorted need to buy any more
walk on walk on with hope in your heart
rafalution
18/5
god is back
ynwa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion