Today's famous five - Friday posers

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Redman in wales » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:34 pm

.... interesting to see that quite a few people have suggested buying a RW instead of a striker because of lack of service.

We have put more crosses into the box than any other team in the prem

We have had more shots on goal than any other team in the prem

we have a shot conversion rate of 9%  (ranking us 17th in shot conversion rates)

- we are missing someone to get on the end of them and put them in the back of the net
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby EddieC » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:50 pm

1. Got to be a forward, our current ones are getting the service and doing nothing with it

2. I'm going with the majority and saying Houllier buying Diouf

3. Someone any club would love to have

4. Bosman, he turned the balance of power in the game towards the players

5. Rushy
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED ANT » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:28 pm

stmichael wrote:Ok guys. Time for this friday's questions. Please try and answer as honestly as possible.

1. It turns out that we only have the money to buy either a top class striker or a top class right winger. Both positions need to be filled but you can only choose one. Your choice and why?

2. If you could overturn one decision made by a Liverpool manager in the last decade, what would it be and why?

3. A term which is bandied around on here frequently is "world class". How do you personally define that?

4. Which player has had the biggest impact on English football in your lifetime and why?

5. And a nice light hearted one to finish; when you were in school playing football, which Liverpool player did you pretend to be?

I'll nominate somebody for next week later :D

1, striker definately

2, letting anelka go to buy diouf

3, someone that can turn a game on it's head with a moment of brilliance

4, hate to say it but probably cantona

5, paul walsh i idolised him when i was younger
RED ANT

Postby The Ace1983 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:39 pm

1. Striker. We have a few players who can pitch in on the right, okay they're not world class but they can all cross, get forward and track back (Cisse, Garcia, Gerrard, Kromkamp, Finnan and maybe even Barragan). But we can't score goals and that's what wins games.

2. Houllier not signing Rivaldo. Why? Where was the logic? He was at the top of his game but Houllier plumps for Diouf!

3. Being able to stand up to the best in the business and deliver 9 times out of 10. Being able to lift a team when it's needed and having the strength of character and self belief to never shy away from pressure. Taking the high road and letting his feet do the talking.

4. Shearer. I don't even think I need to explain that one.

5. Bruce when I was in goal. But when I was out, my Dad taught me to play like Crazy Horse (even though I wanted to be Stevie McManaman).
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hello_red » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:05 pm

tommycockles wrote:
stmichael wrote:Ok guys. Time for this friday's questions. Please try and answer as honestly as possible.

1. It turns out that we only have the money to buy either a top class striker or a top class right winger. Both positions need to be filled but you can only choose one. Your choice and why?

2. If you could overturn one decision made by a Liverpool manager in the last decade, what would it be and why?

3. A term which is bandied around on here frequently is "world class". How do you personally define that?

4. Which player has had the biggest impact on English football in your lifetime and why?

5. And a nice light hearted one to finish; when you were in school playing football, which Liverpool player did you pretend to be?

1. a good right winger, someone like Jermaine Pennant who has not really had the quality to back his game. Paul Anderson does look reasonable however. toughy this one. striker wise id say David Villa, but id go with a winger.

2. probably houllier buying :censored:.

3. some who plays consistently good football domestically for a number of years and breaks into the national team and does the same thing.

4. Beckham unfortunatly!

5. haha Neil Ruddock or Steve McManaman
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby Feeney » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:36 pm

1. Forward, without question. A winger can be carried within a team while a forward can't (events this season surely has proved that point).

2. Tough one. Geting rid of Litmanen without giving him a fair chance is one and the persistence of Vladimir Smicer in the side is another.

3. World class by definition to me is the ability of a person or team to make excellence look effortless. Ajax's CL winning team in the early 90's were simply sublime to me in the memory for that very reason. The fact that so many of that team went on to play an even higher standard of football (and to a degree, some still are) is an indication of how good it really was. A modern day example of this definition is personified in one man - Ronaldinho.

4. Have to agree with the Ace on this one - Shearer. Was the striker during the inception of the Premiership and is one of the reason's for it's mass popularity today. He's a bit of a ninja in front of goal as well.

5.  Peter Beardsley. What that man could do with a football was beyond belief for the time.

PS Sorry to sound demanding, but I would like to see people's reasoning behind their answers, rather than one-worders. As well as being a good read, i'm sure it will conjure up some good memories! Cheers  :cool:

Feeney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:49 pm

1. Right Midfield.

We have required a true wide-man for a long time now, and we have 5 strikers already.

2. Houllier and Thompson's sale of Fowler. B*stards.  :angry:

3. The best in the world in their particular position.

4. Fowler because he started a phenomenon.

5. Fowler, obviously!!!!!  :D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:51 pm

Nice set of questions...

1. I would buy a top class striker, a 25 goal a season forward is worth an extra 15 points a season to us which would take us up into title challenging territory.

2. If i could reverse a decision made by a LFC manager i would have reversed GH's decision to sell Robbie Fowler. When he went one of the beating hearts of the club went with him.

3. For me "World Class" is a player who if there a world 11, would be first choice in the starting line up. I am talking about players like Zidane and Ronaldinho. Also they need the ability to perform when the pressure is on on the big stage, and keep the same class and commitment on a crappy FA cup 3rd round winter tie away at Shrewsbury!. Of our current squad only SG fits this criteria.

4. In my lifetime the player who had the biggest impact on English football is a Dead heat between Kenny Dalglish and Kevin Keegan. Dalglish because of his football brain, sublime skill and clinical finishing in front of goal, and Keegan because of his great determination and work ethic; he worked very hard on every aspect of his game to become a fantastic pro - an example to any young player. He was also voted man of the year in Germany which is unheard of for an Englishman!.

5. At school i was always Keegan, and Later Ronnie Whelan or Ian Rush. Fantastic memories...

:buttrock  :bowdown   :hearts
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:09 pm

Nice topic!

1) A forward for reasons already mentioned by many above.  Plus, not buying a RW would further convince Stevie that he's needed out wide and thus keep the nice balance in the middle we've been getting with Momo and Xabi.

2) I'd put a boot through Houllier's telly before the last World Cup--we might still have been stuck with Cheyrou but at least some other suckers would have paid the silly money for Diouf and Diao  :D

3) Again, hard to argue with some of the things already posted by others.  To me, 'world class' means you can get into the starting 11 for any top club side in the world and that you can perform at the highest level against other world class players.  Against 3rd division punters in a mid-winter cup tie you should be able to absolutely demolish a team virtually single-handedly!

4) That's a tough one.  I'm inclined to go with either Shearer or Bergkamp for their consistent quality down the years.

5) Growing up in Canada meant that I couldn't follow Liverpool (or football of any type for that matter) when I was in school.  But, given my respect for midfield playmakers, I'd probably go with the likes of Molby (then) or Xabi (now).
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion