When harry met scally - By nidgemo (rawk)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby laza » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:37 pm

bigmick wrote: :D Ok I apologise to everyone who stuck up for Harry through thick and thin and always knew he would come back a good player. I apologise and salute their forsight and judgement in equal measure :D . It must have just been me then who thought he was swinging the lead, it seems most everybody else knew he was going to come back and be brilliant.

You wrong , how could that be  :D

He certainly deserved some stick though the slagging he got especially after the CL final was something that i naively  didnt expect from Liverpool fans.
I guess some people see that as being a passioniate , for others it reeks of fair weather bandwagon supporter
Its good to see him  hitting the straps again though there is still a long way to go.
Article over here in our papers stated he was still playing through pain barrier and was being patched up before most games especially before the Arsenal one
Hopefully though he will prevail and make himself in to yet another legend who wore No 7
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:38 pm

bigmick wrote:Anybody who never slagged Kewell in the past was either Australian (most of those guys did stick up for him TBF), completely clueless or mind-numbingly loyal to the cause above and beyond the call of duty. As I don't think any of the above apply to me I get on his case alright and I think he deserved it. If it really was the case that he wasn't ever fit then Harry should've been stronger and insisted on treatment rather than drifting through game after game in my view.
Anyways to the present and he's been a revelation but I think there is much much more to come. His clash with Neville on Saturday morning means we are certain to see a rematch with lots of grudge next season and though I rate the Man U man as a footballer, my money would be on the Australian to comfortably get the better of him.
I think Harry can and will improve in two key areas. Firstly and most obviously in his sharpness and fitness. My hunch is that there is a little burst of accelaration still in the locker and next season it will be there for all to see, making him very hard to contain. The second way he can improve is not down to him at all really. Our lack of a potent and natural goalscorer means that he has to generally cross it high and far enough back for somebody to head it. To do this he has to shift it and get his left leg around the ball which is do-able but difficult and fairly easy for the full-back to defend against if that is his only option. Were it the case that Kewell had the option of fizzing it in low and in between the centre-halves and the goalkeeper aswell as standing it up, then he would become much more difficult to defend as the full-back would have to get much more straight on and open up the possibility of Harry coming inside.
The second thing is a classic example of the team dynamic which is contained within a football match. The mere presence and threat of one option can actually open the door to something entirely different. As we currently lack that option, teams can defend 4 or 5 yards further up towards the edgs of the penalty box. This makes a huge difference to blokes like Crouch who ideally want to be winning headers from inside the penalty spot.Get a natural goalscorer (or hope Fowler does the biz) and teams will naturally slip in a couple of yards deeper which makes Crouch a different animal. Cause and effect, every action has an equal and opposite reaction and all that old b0ll0cks.

I had a go. I was sick of his lazy performances and him feeling sorry for himself and his excuses. He derserved the flack.

For the first 3 months he was excellent, scoring 10 goals and generally playing well. However after that first injury it all went downhill. I wanted him out after the champions league final, i wouldn't have been bothered if he'd gone either, as far as i was concerned he was a waster. Potentially excellent player doing nothing.

However since he's come back the last 3 months or so he's been a breath of fresh air.

Where you've said Harry can improve i agree 100%, well said.
115-1073096938

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:43 pm

Ok , we're all happy to see Harry fit and playing well , he may be the best option we've got for the left wing/mid position BUT is it good enough ?

Personally I think Harry looks short on pace ,rarely beats anyone in a straight race for the ball and his shooting is woeful . Not trying to start another "lets bash Harry " thread as the fella is putting in some great performances but I think some in here are getting a bit carried away .Maybe they're just stunned to see Harry play for 90 mins .

:D  :D  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:47 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Not trying to start another "lets bash Harry " thread as the fella is putting in some great performances but I think some in here are getting a bit carried away.

:D  :D  :D

so brilliant it must have been deliberate :laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Red Hot Mama » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:47 pm

Isn't it just as well Rafa doesn't listen to the crowd. Fair play to the boss man for keeping faith with Harry.  Just proves why Rafa is there doing a great job for us and we can only look on in admiration.
Red Hot Mama

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:45 pm

Red Hot Mama wrote:Isn't it just as well Rafa doesn't listen to the crowd. Fair play to the boss man for keeping faith with Harry.  Just proves why Rafa is there doing a great job for us and we can only look on in admiration.

I think it might be a case of no other option than persevere with him tbh.
He is on really high wages and often injured so there was no real oppurtunity to offload him added to the fact that we dont have many options in that position so we were imo stuck with giving him another chance.
Its just good to see that he appears to be taking that chance, with a little more composure he could have had about 5 goals in the last couple of months instead of the 1 he has.
Hopefully that will come given time as he definately has goals in him.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:50 pm

drummerphil wrote:I criticised him and well deserved it was too.I was extremely excited when we signed him as i was when we signed morientes based on his Monaco loan spell.Harry has frustrated me more than any Liverpool player in recent times and to be honest it has looked many times he has had no heart or desire to play for us.I knew he had the talent,at times at Leeds he was unplayable (who remembers that superb goal at Highbury) and he virtually single handed beat England 3-1 in a friendly against Australia,he looked world class that night,and i expected so much from him.
He has pranced around Anfield like a tart for  the last couple of years,more concerned about how his hair looks and appearences on MTV cribs plus his wifes comments on "i'm a celeb get me out of here" made me want to punch him.Although he has been injured a few times he never showed much motivation to overcome them and show a small percentage of desire and spirit to wear the red shirt as players like Carra does.
This last two months he has showed alot of progress and hes playing again like he has something to prove ,the fact its a world cup year and he could be looking for a move in the summer i will overlook for now.So i finish with has the real Harry Kewell finally stood up,i hope so and his tackle on Neville and his laugh after has done him no harm at all.

I take it noone agrees then,that with it being world cup year and he will be in the shop window,he could be motivated now for the wrong reasons........
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:57 pm

drummerphil wrote:
drummerphil wrote:I criticised him and well deserved it was too.I was extremely excited when we signed him as i was when we signed morientes based on his Monaco loan spell.Harry has frustrated me more than any Liverpool player in recent times and to be honest it has looked many times he has had no heart or desire to play for us.I knew he had the talent,at times at Leeds he was unplayable (who remembers that superb goal at Highbury) and he virtually single handed beat England 3-1 in a friendly against Australia,he looked world class that night,and i expected so much from him.
He has pranced around Anfield like a tart for  the last couple of years,more concerned about how his hair looks and appearences on MTV cribs plus his wifes comments on "i'm a celeb get me out of here" made me want to punch him.Although he has been injured a few times he never showed much motivation to overcome them and show a small percentage of desire and spirit to wear the red shirt as players like Carra does.
This last two months he has showed alot of progress and hes playing again like he has something to prove ,the fact its a world cup year and he could be looking for a move in the summer i will overlook for now.So i finish with has the real Harry Kewell finally stood up,i hope so and his tackle on Neville and his laugh after has done him no harm at all.

I take it noone agrees then,that with it being world cup year and he will be in the shop window,he could be motivated now for the wrong reasons........

WTF?? Thats a bit of a long shot thinking that isnt it, you could say that about any player then, oh alonso's performing now...maybe hes looking for a move in the summer??? or gerrards performing now, he could just be doing this because its world cup year?! Thats a bit paranoid thinking that i think...this is where he leaves in the summer now  :D
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby redmikey » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:59 pm

quality mate ,good reading .

this forum is on the up from a couple of weeks ago and post like that are the reason why.
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby drummerphil » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:00 pm

GOAT wrote:
drummerphil wrote:

WTF?? Thats a bit of a long shot thinking that isnt it, you could say that about any player then, oh alonso's performing now...maybe hes looking for a move in the summer??? or gerrards performing now, he could just be doing this because its world cup year?! Thats a bit paranoid thinking that i think...this is where he leaves in the summer now  :D

Like i said i hope i'm wrong ,but Mr Kewell cant blame anyone for having a bit of doubt......
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:02 pm

GOAT wrote:
drummerphil wrote:

Because Alonso and Gerrard were sh@te last year weren't they  :eyebrow

Tbh Phil i disagree about the worldcup year theory.
The reason being that it would be more likely imo for a player like Harry Kewell (who is guaranteed his place in the Australia squad,if fit) to take it easy and make sure he is not injured. If he wants a move, to be fit for the world cup would be the only thing on his mind.
But he has not been backing out of challenges and doesnt appear to be holding anything back lately.
Last edited by Ace Ventura on Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Garymac » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:08 pm

I was a Kewell basher and rightly so, i was paying good money to watch the reds week in, week out and he, Like cisse is now, was taking the p!ss.

i wouldnt waste my time critisizing half decent players but players who have a talent and dont use it or generally cant be arsed then that p!sses me off more than anything. Kewell has in recent weeks hit his best form for us and long may it continue, each game he has run himself into the ground and has done all that has been asked of him.

At the start of the season i said i would cut of me nutsack if Kewell came good this season......Im getting just a little worried, which is good for the reds but not so good for me!!!
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:06 pm

He is a nancyfied pile of poop in my humble opinion. I'd still like to be proven wrong, though. I really thought he'd be brill when we got him. Come on you silly tart, stop banging the missus then your groin won't be so weak!!!! (Seriously, though, he looked like his dog had just died when he came off.) There's no way his injuries are fake, but I think he must have a low pain threshhold or something. We have to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I honestly don't think he'll come good for us. Form is temperary, class is perminent. I just hope being a wuss is temperary aswell!!!!! :D

This is a quote of what I said just after the CL final.

I was pretty fair for me I'd say!!!!!!!!! :D

Seriously though - the lad's proven us all wrong. I am happy to admit that I was mistaken when I said I didn't think he would show his true ability for us.

As happy as Harry, I'd say! :p
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:32 am

I f*cking KNEW I shouldn't have said that before tonights game!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :p :angry:

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion