Respect where it is due - Can we not show our class ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:09 pm

It's all tongue in cheek stuff IMO. Yes there are some idiots who take it too far but you have look at the fact that all footy fans do it. Where I work some of the lads that are next door to my department are all evertonians and when they were above us last season they took great pleasure in having a large printout of the league table and if there was a nick name for any of the other teams in the league it was used i.e. Manure, the barcodes Arseholenal and for Liverpool it was the very imaginative REDSHITE, to name just a few. I knew that this was all just tongue in cheek stuff and that is the way that you have to take it and give it, it's all just part of the rivalry amongst footy supporters and as such shouldn't really be taken too seriously IMO.
As for the KOP magazine this is a publication that I and many liverpool fans that i know enjoy 'cos it is a look at the footballing world in a lighter way and instead of the usual watching what they say approach so as not to offend other teams and supporters bull that has crept into footy these days. The castle greyskull term is nothing compared to some of the terms that have been fired the way of liverpool down the years so i'd just pick up your copy of the KOP and have a damn good laugh.:D
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:42 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:Just a quick one, throwing it open to all.

I just wondered why people insist on using names like Chelski, Chavski, Manure, Neverton etc when refering to other teams.

I read KOP managazine the other day, and had to put it down cus of the constant "Castle Greyskull" references to Uniteds ground, Chavski references to Chelsea and so on.

It was quite embarrasing to think that a magazine with Liverpool badges all over it had to lower itself to name calling and derogatory names to sell itself.

I hate all these teams when we play them, and I do not agree with what certain ones stand for, but I dont see what the point is of giving them derogatory made up names.

We are Liverpool Football Club, the greatest supporters in the land, lets show our class................

For once you raise a valid point.

The only one i think is worth using on "maureen" "chelski" etc is Lamplard. The rest are all stupid and not the LFC way as far as i'm concerned.

Lamplard however amuses me as i once descriped him as a fat tub of lard who was overated. :D
115-1073096938

Postby 2520years » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:34 pm

So what you're saying is that everything has to be serious and grown-up?  Even in my leisure time I can't have a bit of fun?  I agree that the clubs should show respect for each other, but the fans are in it for laughs as much as anything else.  Next you'll be banning songs about visiting teams on the terraces.

Sorry, personally I don't agree with your point Leon.  But at least I know that won't lead you to call me names.
:p
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:39 pm

We don't sing about other times... :D
115-1073096938

Postby babu » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:42 pm

I think its a good point. However I don't think i'll stop using manure or chelski when I'm being 'tongue-in-cheek'.

nice response rushie#9

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1137139704 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:02 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:Just a quick one, throwing it open to all.

I just wondered why people insist on using names like Chelski, Chavski, Manure, Neverton etc when refering to other teams.

I read KOP managazine the other day, and had to put it down cus of the constant "Castle Greyskull" references to Uniteds ground, Chavski references to Chelsea and so on.

It was quite embarrasing to think that a magazine with Liverpool badges all over it had to lower itself to name calling and derogatory names to sell itself.

I hate all these teams when we play them, and I do not agree with what certain ones stand for, but I dont see what the point is of giving them derogatory made up names.

We are Liverpool Football Club, the greatest supporters in the land, lets show our class................

I agree it would be ideal if every Liverpool supporter did not lower imself to this name calling sh!t.

It would also be ideal if we all had the same ideas and felt the same on all issues concerning the club

But like emperor nero said 'I wish all romans had the same head so that i could behead them, all at once!'
66-1137139704

Postby Sabre » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:41 pm

I agree with Leon at some extent.

WHile I find ok some disrespect even in names, when we are talking coloquially in a forum, I wouldn't make a serious web site, or serious magazine of football using those names.

Each context has it's own rules, IMHO.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby thombobb » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:59 pm

I think Liverpool fans do give other teams a measure of respect and have always been among the classiest supporters, in this country at least.
Thinking back opposing goalkeepers always received a good reception,no sustained abuse of black players at games.
Talking of respect for other clubs.....the Munich aircrash, 48 years to the day.... RIP
thombobb

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:50 pm

I dont think its shows any lack in class or respect.

Its just a bit of light hearted fun, aimed at making the paper a bit less serious and giving the fans a bit of a chuckle.
I dont think any of the comments you mentioned are OTT or particulary offensive.
Almost every club has fanzines or papers that tack the p'ss out of rivals, i dont think LFC should be any different.
Without rivals football would be boring, and the banter with them is one of the best things about being a fan associated with your club.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion