Frank lampard and freddi ljungberg - What do you think?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Stackman » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:44 am

Lampard is good at the Scholes thing.  He scores a lot of goals from midfield, by getting forward at every opportunity.  However, he's not particularly creative, and with the holding player to cover him, central midfield becomes fairly ordinary.  Chelsea only look creative if they play wingers (Duff and Gronkjaer).  You only have to look at the number of goals Chelsea have scored to see that they are not too creative.

Liverpool have the same problem, so I don't think Lampard would add anything.  Cole is a creative player, and I have been impressed when I've seen his performances this season.  There is an opportunity to move in and take him, and we coulb probably have him for no more than £5M.  He's not impressed at being in and out of the team, Chelsea tried to offload him on a loan abroad, and he's now disappointed at not being mentioned by Eriksson as being a possibility for Euro 2004 (although Parker was).
Bill Shankly : "If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains."
Stackman

Postby houllieroutplz » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:51 am

ID RATHER STICK WITH STEVIE G LAMPARDS NOT BETTER THAN GERARD
houllieroutplz

Postby Owzat » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:58 am

I like Lampard as a player, why are you insisting on making it either/or? Lampard and Gerrard would make a fantastic pairing for Liverpool and England
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:58 pm

The are to similar though. Gerrard and Lampard aren't play makers. Both are box to box midfielders. Lampard slightly better in the attacking front and Gerrard the defensive but the mix isn't there.

Gerrards ideal partner in the middle would be a creative player like Cole, Dunn, Scholes or someone of that mould.
115-1073096938

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:00 pm

i think stu's right on this one. Lampard has come on leaps and bounds since he left the hammers but hes just a poor mans gerrard. If you watch him for a full 90 mins and not highleghts you will see his weaknesses.

I mean the guy will spurn great chances to attack so he can have a long range effort and granted he scores a few he misses aroung 10 chances a match. Ive seen him shoot from absolutly ridiculous positions when others are in good positions to score.

And as for ljunberg hes no better than danny murphy, ability wise hes very average, like many other arsenal players, but he shines in wengers near perfect system, arsenal are a perfect example of how a team with a few world class stars and decent others can be brilliant. I mean does his job perfectly, which is to get in the box and score apart from that he cant do much.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:50 am

i'd have joe cole definitely. the guy was superb for chelsea against newcastle yesterday.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Rimetto » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:08 pm

If you think back to when Hamann was out gerrard played well but no where near as good as when he had someone behind him doing the holding role. Stevie needs to have someone alongside him to do the holding role so he can push forward and get involved in the game.

I think that with joe cole in the middle with stevie will push back into the holdnig role which he can do well but he's much more effective in an attcking role.
Rimetto
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:17 pm

i don't like this conception of a holding role in the midfield for us. it has been one of our major problems in the last couple of seasons. with hamann sitting so deep that then means at times you have 40-50 yards between the midfield and the strikers. everyone classes vieira as a holding player but he is so much more than that. did you see the guy's goal yesterday? hardly the actions of a holding player. you want a holding player then give john welsh a chance.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Rimetto » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:27 pm

stmichael wrote:i don't like this conception of a holding role in the midfield for us. it has been one of our major problems in the last couple of seasons. with hamann sitting so deep that then means at times you have 40-50 yards between the midfield and the strikers. everyone classes vieira as a holding player but he is so much more than that. did you see the guy's goal yesterday? hardly the actions of a holding player. you want a holding player then give john welsh a chance.

i agree with what you are saying totally. Hamann is to defensive.

But alongside Veirra you have Gilberto that doesn't mind doing the defensive and so veirra knows that when he goes forward there will be cover.

That's why i think Lampard would be a great buy for us. Joe cole doesn't like to do the dirty work just likes to attack.
Rimetto
LFC Elite Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:30 pm

I like Joe Cole and think we should have taken him when West ham went down.  We have NEVER replaced McManaman and we need another winger
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:02 pm

[quote] That's why i think Lampard would be a great buy for us. Joe cole doesn't like to do the dirty work just likes to attack.

I don't agree Joe Cole did a lot of dirty work the season the Hammers went down + wasn't he made Captain midway through that season. I seem to remebr he worked his a#se off to keep them up.

I agree with most who say the lad can be too greedy plus turns on the tricks in the wrong areas but, the guy is an unpolished gem. With the right coaching he could/should become a top drawer player. He was crazy to go to Chelsea with the squad rotation (he is a player who needs to play every week) and has suffered in the same way Scott Parker will.

Cole and Gerrard in the middle would work for me but i don't delieve Houllier would be the man to develop the lad to his potential.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:10 pm

Scottbot wrote:Cole and Gerrard in the middle would work for me but i don't delieve Houllier would be the man to develop the lad to his potential.

yeah houllier would probably stick him out wide and that would be the end of his international prospects. houllier doesn't like flair. if he did he could get okocha on a free at the end of the season. anyway, he's not french so he won't be coming anyway. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion