Hell of a come back - Liverpoolvluton

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RedorDead » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:48 pm

I was sat there last night watching the game and when the final whistle blew is struck me that we would never have won that game a year ago. 3-1 down even to a Championship side would have seen us dead and buried. We were playing badly and they were very much on top and under Houllier or any other manager in the last few years we would have tried and tried in vain to get back into the match. Last night we stuck to the task, didn't panic, Rafa changed things with Pongo and wham, before you know it we're on top. Credit has to go to the manager for changing the mentality of the team, our attitude and spirit is greater now than for a long time. It helps that Rafa is a tactical genius....his understanding and knowledge are unparallelled and he can change a game seemingly at will. I think another help to us was "that game" in Istanbul. I mean we were 3-0 down to the mighty AC milan and getting played off the park only to win the match, the lads KNOW they can do it, they have done it before. 3-1 down vs Leicester....blah....we came back from 3-0 down to Milan.....walk in the park!!!!
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:56 pm

Benitez has a great knack of being able to change things around during a match.

The most obvious example is Istanbul but there are others as well, such as Luton, Olympiakos and Bolton last week. Even against Sao Paulo he did everything he could to win the match: it was just rotten luck that saw us losing that match.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby fivecups » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:04 am

zarababe wrote:BTW Cisse was awful, he was so poor :(

Agreed Zara. The only thing in his defence is that he showed some balls and kept trying when we were behind. BUT, I just cant see him making a regular impact for us. It's funny but this time last year was when I realised Traore was never going to develop into a top class left back. When he scored for Burnley. Until then I'd hoped he'd iron out the errors he was prone to making, his exceptional tackling (at times), and pace would see him through. The OG was when I realised it was never going to happen.

It was the same yesterday with Cisse. I always harboured the notion that if he got a good run of goals, his confidence would come back and he would justify the £14 million we spent on him. Now, I realise thats not going to happen. He is simply not good enough. He made basic mistake after basic mistake yesterday. I think if Marseille are really interested and they still have some cash remaining from Drogba's sale we should let him go.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:44 am

JBG wrote:I've bene watching the goals again this evening and boy were we unlucky with the refs decision for their penalty!

The guy clearly steps on Carson's foot and falls/dives.

However, in the greater scheme of things it didn't really matter and luck irons itself out. Last year we were decimated with injuries, this year we have been quite lucky.

also he actually stands on carsons foot outsied the box so shoulnt have been a penalty anyway, im surprised no one else has mentioned this
112-1077774096

Postby azriahmad » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:30 am

Well noted, peewee. He stepped on Carson's outstreched foot and fell down after that.

Their first goal was offside, IMHO, but that doesn't hide the fact that our defence had an off day.

The pitch was quite horrible but not as bad as some of the other lower league or non-league sides' pitch in other FA Cup ties and Luton showed such determination and go that unsettled our normal play, but that's the FA Cup's uniqueness.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:54 am

On the Luton penalty, here is an extract of a Guardian online report:
After the interval came the squabbles over penalties. Harry Kewell's cross in the 48th minute had eluded Gerrard before Paul Underwood bumped into him from behind and that may explain why, to the disbelief of the Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez, there was no dismissal for the left-back. Djibril Cissé's spot kick was then saved comfortably by Marlon Beresford.

Five minutes later Rowan Vine went clear after Hyypia had been dispossessed. A penalty was awarded as Carson appeared to bring him down. The goalkeeper was presumably spared a red card by Mark Clattenburg because he was moving slightly towards the left and it is just about conceivable that a covering defender such as Carragher might have prevented a clear goalscoring opportunity.

It is as well, in any case, that the official had been tolerant because replays indicated that in an incident that had actually taken place just outside the box the Luton striker may have gone down because he lost his balance after treading on Carson's ankle. Nicholls dispatched the penalty nervelessly.

azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:39 am

JBG wrote:Benitez has a great knack of being able to change things around during a match.

The most obvious example is Istanbul but there are others as well, such as Luton, Olympiakos and Bolton last week. Even against Sao Paulo he did everything he could to win the match: it was just rotten luck that saw us losing that match.

The comeback against Fulham last season  is a good example of this as well
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DAV » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:20 am

I watched the game on TV
Great cup tie
Thats what the FA Cup is all about
It had everything
Biggest problem for me was the commentators
Lawrenson, loved him as a player-but what :censored: he talks.
People on here say that because they are involved with football that they know more for some reason.
He sounded like he didn't even know the rules.
Contrast to Ian Wright (in the studio) who made perfect sense.
Weird what happens to people when they finish playing.
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:06 am

I think we should be careful not to get too taken away about the win. Yeah we showed our credentials by scoring 4 times in the 2nd half but first half Luton we're clearly better. The scoreline doesn't lie.

I can totally see why Rafa was unhappy at our defensive performance. Hyypia was shocking, Carragher was of the boil. I can see Rafa putting in heavy training sessions this week, spurs won be easy.

Other than that, brilliant game and brilliant response and belief by the players.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:36 pm

DAV wrote:I watched the game on TV
Great cup tie
Thats what the FA Cup is all about
It had everything
Biggest problem for me was the commentators
Lawrenson, loved him as a player-but what :censored: he talks.
People on here say that because they are involved with football that they know more for some reason.
He sounded like he didn't even know the rules.
Contrast to Ian Wright (in the studio) who made perfect sense.
Weird what happens to people when they finish playing.

he is a n.ob dav  :angry:  but strangely, 24 hours later he was commentating on the burton v manure game..which in anyones book WOULD have been a cup shock. (ok we played only luton, but they are vying for a play-off to the prem. and in my view could be looked at as another wigan) ?

anyway 'lawro' seemed less 'up for it' at the thought of united being mauled as indeed he intimated throughout.  c.ock!!

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion