Can we win the premiership - Realistically

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:14 pm

No.
115-1073096938

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:35 pm

just to basically agree with everone else, chelsea at the moment dont look like losing four games in four months when they`ve only lost two in a year and amassed over a 100 points in that period and even then we`d have to win every game remaining this season.
our run of ten wins and a draw leading up to christmas would have us right in the title mix in any other era but football these days is very different.
its not even the fact that chelsea lose so few its the fact they hardly draw either, when arsenal went through a season unbeaten there were plenty of draws in that run.
no, i think its a massive bonus just to be neck and neck with united and above arsenal at this stage of the season.
if we can cruise into the champions league even in fourth that would be a massive step up because the last few years we were fighting it out with newcastle, everton and chelsea in the last games of the seasons. we`re going in the right direction and shouldnt start setting unrealistic targets for ourselves.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:35 pm

Yes we might.

Yes, it's very difficult.

But not impossible:

+ I have seen such differences cut. If the distance reaches to the point of 6 points, anything can happen, because Chelsea will feel the pressure

+ While Chelsea's number's are outstanding, they are not winning their games easily lately, and I don't think their second round of the league is going to be that good.

Difficult? a lot. Impossible,  never, until the maths say otherwise
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:59 pm

No we can't win the Premiership this season.

No one can other than Chelsea.

A top four finish is still the target, although we should try to keep second place in our sights.

We did well today, considering we were playing on a pitch that resembled a potato field.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby *XABIALONSO* » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:00 am

Sabre wrote:Yes we might.

Yes, it's very difficult.

But not impossible:

+ I have seen such differences cut. If the distance reaches to the point of 6 points, anything can happen, because Chelsea will feel the pressure

+ While Chelsea's number's are outstanding, they are not winning their games easily lately, and I don't think their second round of the league is going to be that good.

Difficult? a lot. Impossible,  never, until the maths say otherwise

although it may bee just supporting your club i like the way u think
Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that.        BILL SHANKLY
*XABIALONSO*

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:02 am

I dont think that anyone can realistically win the League.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:12 am

Cool Hand Luke wrote:I dont think that anyone can realistically win the League.

its chelsea`s mate.
i remember when newcastle blew a similar lead under keegan but the wheels came off big time and united had the side to pull out an amazing run of results.
never mind the 11 point start, if we all started from zero again i`d still expect chelsea to collect more points from now till the end of the season.
the only way i can see chelsea falling apart is if they get a spate of injuries at the back to the likes of terry and gallas, huth`s good back up but i think they could suffer from a few jangiling nerves if this happened.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby ivor_the_injun » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:22 am

We started too slowly. If our form in December had been in evidence a few months ago, it'd be game on, but I think we'd blown it by October to be honest.

Chelsea have got that winning ugly habit down to a ruthlessly efficient art form. They don't just grind out draws like we did at Bolton - they come away with 3 points even when they're under siege.

We're on our way there, but the gap's too big and - come May - our season's probably going to prove a little long.

If Chelsea lose a couple in January however...
ivor_the_injun

Postby TheoRacle » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:10 am

So the question really amounts to - if anyone is going to take points off Chelsea, who will it be?

There's no doubt that Cheslea have an easier run on paper but there's still the potential for a few teams to at least get a draw.

Anyone believe in fairy tales....

Sunderland  v Chelsea - no chance for Sunderland here they'll let in 4 or 5! -3pts

Chelsea v Charlton - Charlton, with everybody defending for 90mins are capable of holding out for a nil-nil draw. Depends on how they approach the game. -1pt

Villa v Chelsea - 3 or 4 for Chelsea again  -3pts

Chelsea v Liverpool- The most significant game of the season. 0-1 to Liverpool. Terry injured. -0pts :D

Borough v Chelsea - Borough can hold their own so could well be a 0-0 result particularly with Chelski coming off the loss to us. Maybe Yakubu can pinch one on the break for a bonus helping hand. -1pt

Chelsea v Portsmouth - Chelsea return to winning ways with ease here -3pts

West Brom v Chelsea - Chelsea to get all 3 points after valiant struggle, 0-1 -3pts

Chelsea v Spurs - Spurs have every reason to think they can nick three points and would approach the game like we would, with belief and conviction. Could go either way - a draw maybe? -1pt

Fulham v Chelsea - Fulham unlikely to win but may sneak a 0-0 draw. -1pt

Chealsea v Man City - Man City have refound emphasis on defence with Pyscho at the helm. I'm hoping they are strong enough to hold out for a draw. -1pt

Brum v Chelsea - Easy Chelsea win -3pts

Chelsea v West Ham - Easy Chelsea win -3pts

Bolton v Chelsea - Bolton tactics against us will work against Chelsea too so we could be forgiven for hoping for a draw. Odd against it though IMO. -3pts

Chelsea v Everton - Everton will be back at the foot of the table so will be an easy Chelsea win. -3pts

Blackburn v Chelsea - best hope really is for Blackburn to nobble a few players  as they lose by 2 or 3. -3pts

Chelsea v Man Utd - Chelsea now under pressure from both Mancs and us will want revenge but Mancs will be finishing strongly and could sneak the win. -0pts

Newcastle v Chelsea - Chelsea will need all 3 points and results to go their way. Nail biter....  ?pts

Thats 32 points plus the Newcastle result from a possible 51 points.  In a 'normal' season I reckon these results are definatley do-able by the teams concerned.  Even so it still makes it tough for us we need 46 points from our last 51 assuming Newcastle fall over at the end. 

On a positive note, Chelsea movement in the January transfer window is not going to make the slightest bit of difference to their performance where as we still have scope for a lot of improvement. If Rafa can get the players he wants it could be an exciting 5 months!
"My Maserati does one eighty five - I lost my license, now I don't drive..."
TheoRacle
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:44 am

Yes we can  but not this season . I would very happy if we can finish the EPL better than last season .
LiverpoolMadman

Postby azriahmad » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:46 am

Chelsea does not drop points and with the squad they have, the talent available and Mourinho's single mindedness to simply choke the opposition from being able to play and simply nick goals from counter attacks and crush them after getting the first goal, it is unlikely that any of the chasing pack will get the chance to overtake tham. Not this season, perhaps in the near future.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:47 am

It's amazing we're even considering winning the Prem this year after last seasons finish. I believe we will finish in the top 3 this season, and be the only realistic challengers next term.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hobbes » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:14 am

This is football we are talking. Anything can happen. So I would say Yes Liverpool can win it until proven otherwise. :;):
hobbes

Postby matrix » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:14 am

were playing well but we have only a slim chance of winning the premiership, the top 3 will not be a cake walk either, im happy we have an 8 point lead on arsenal  if we came 2nd i would be happy we just started to badly to have any chance of catching chelski  ???

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion