Essien apologizes for horror tackle - Not accepted!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby TheoRacle » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:24 am

Dont understand how the punishment can be less that the one Essien would have got if the ref spotted the offence at the time. If UEFAs argument for looking at it in the first place is "the ref obviously missed it but in hindsight would have awarded a red' then at the very least it should have been three weeks. 
Essien apologising should make no difference whatsoever - any insincere tw@t can apologise after the fact if he thinks it'll reduce the penalty he's about to receive.  You don't get the opportunity to apologise and mitigate a red card on the field so why should it be any different if the punishment is assessed after the game?
"My Maserati does one eighty five - I lost my license, now I don't drive..."
TheoRacle
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:31 am

The offense should be a 3 match ban, the same if he were sent off. Shluld be worse if Hamann got injured because the tackle was deliberate and premeditated, nowhere neat aiming for the ball.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AwiLas » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:04 am

Most of us think that let's forgive and forget.. That's :censored:.. Let's put Xabi Alonso in Didi Hamann position, anyway, it's his position as a central midfielder and Hamann is just to cover him.. Visualize the studs that landed on Alonso's knee.. What abt his future.?. What will happened to Liverpool, who basically needs Alonso's 'no look pass' to score.?. As for Essien, maybe his only way of making up is to let Fabregas, Davids, Mills and Alan Smith to land their studs on him as well.. Cheers..
AwiLas

Postby GunGod » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:13 am

I hate to admit it but it seems that the 'apology' was effective in the end. It got a nothing less than 3 match ban reduced to 2 matches. Once again, we are Chelsea's suckers. I hate that feeling.

But when I watched that match I was wondering ever since that tackle why would Essien do that? Hamann had not been involved in anything overboard with him prior to the tackle. It seemed really meaningless unless u explain it by saying that Essien just wanted to break someone's leg, anyone's.

Geez, the cheek of him to come out and say 'I didn't mean it'. Are we blind? This is not a case of being biased cos I'm a Liverpool fan but the tackle was aimed expertly at just below the kneecap. He jerked his leg to give it an additional stomp just as it was about to make impact with Hamann's leg. How can that be accidental? An accident is when Essien's leg does not move when it makes contact but it was well obvious he gave it another push just as it was about to hit Hamann's leg. I don't really know how to explain this well but oh well.

Chelsea got away with thug like behavior yet again.
GunGod

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion