Benitez - Not so flash?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby AussieKopite » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:35 pm

lawrenson_sarah wrote:Whatever Rafa does i support his decisions!

If he plays Crouch, he obviously sees potential and is happy what he does add to our team then i trust his decision.

The fact that he doesnt play Cisse as much, may be down to a bad attitude? People dont know. Im not too sure about Cisse now. I recon Rafa will sell him if another striker becomes available!

None of our strikers are actually preforming to the best of their ability, or achieving what they should be

Crouch & Morientes seem to have better attitudes on the field than Cisse. Cisse is still quite young isn't he though? Maybe Benitez is trying to get him to be more humble and mature a bit more.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:12 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
JBG wrote:To address the original poster's points:

1. Despite what he said when he first arrived, I don't think Rafa would have bought Cisse were it down to him. Cisse has exceptional, freakish pace, a decent shot when gven space, but little else. His touch is only average for a forward, but his link up play and general football intelligence is appalling. He has also been a bit petulent this year, and has been talking to the press. I think that on balance, Rafa is correct on Cisse. He makes a very good impact sub, but I don't see Djbril in our long term plans.

2. I think with Harry Kewell its a case of "We're paying him £65,000 a week, we cannot find find a buyer for him, and he WAS excellent three or so years ago, so we might as well at least try to get our monies worth." I think Rafa also rates Kewell as a player, more so than many suspect.

3. Sinama Pongolle is still very raw, but he deserves a chance. If he keeps patient Rafa will eventually put him in the team more.

To respond to JBG's post (and I promise not to flirt audaciously like Zbabe and Daggers earlier)

1. On the money, Rafa would not have bought him, but was stuck with the deal. He does not rate him, and at the earliest opportunity he will be on his way. (I think we should give him to Marseille in exchange for Frank Ribery).

2. Kewell took Rafa's eye some years back, when Rafa came over to England whilst he was studying football training etc.. He was a guest of Sir Alex at Old Trafford, and it was a Leeds V Man Utd game where Benitez was in the stand. He reckons during that game, and in his subsequent following of Kewell that he decided Harry was one of the best attacking wingers he has seen.
I know Kewell is a good player, and stand by him to the extent that he will prove himself this year without doubt.

3. Pongolle has the ability, and is indeed raw, but to get his chance he really does need to score a goal, he is after all a forward.

Yes, the Rafa and Kewell story is down in lore now.

I think I remember that game. UTD were extremely strong, and Leeds had a host of players missing with injury and played a lot of young and reserve team players. Kewell was one of the only first teamers in there and literally took UTD on on his own. He was shooting from all over the pitch, beating men and crossing the ball, mesmeric stuff. I think Leeds still lost 0-3, but Kewell was outstanding......if that is the game Rafa was at.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:42 pm

I don't agree with the notion that some people have suggested in which sinama is not capable of scoring goals. Did he not get the golden boot in the world under-18 tournament a couple of seasons back?

Most of the time when you see sinama play for us under rafa, he either comes on as a substitution to help close the game off with his close-ball control or when he is used he is not used in a central striker's role. He has been used more as a link between the midfield and the attack. How do you expect him to score when he is creating goalscoring opportunities for others rather than being on the end of them in a central strikers role?

I just believe that Sinama needs to be utilised in a more advanced role in order to score more goals. Afterall, he can't 'do a Steven Gerrard'.
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion