Legend

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:38 pm

The Legend of Carra continues:

RAFA BENITEZ today paid tribute to Jamie Carragher's resilience after revealing the defender has played through the pain barrier for the last two months.
Carragher was given an injection on Wednesday night in a bid to cure an ankle problem which has plagued him since the away match at Tottenham on September 10.

The Reds stopper is expected to recover in time to face Portsmouth next week, but he's missing for this weekend's international friendly.

"Carra has had a problem for some time and now we are trying to protect him," said Benitez.

"He is a brave player and he never wants to come off or miss a game. The last thing we wanted was for him to play in a friendly and risk us losing him for a long time.

"With rest he can prepare for our next games. He has the character you want as a manager, which makes him so important."

Competition for World Cup places is hotting up, and Carragher's absence in Geneva on Saturday won't help his cause.

But, like most astute judges, Benitez thinks it's inconceivable his vice-captain won't be recalled in time for Germany next summer.

"I don't like talking too much about individuals, but he is always at a good level, which means I always have confidence in him," added Benitez.

"He can make mistakes like any player, but they are rare.

"If a manager wants someone for the World Cup, when you can't make many mistakes because you play so many games in little time, he is ideal. I'm sure he will be there."

After their seventh clean sheet of the Premiership at Aston Villa last week, Benitez feels his defence is providing a solid platform for an improved spell.

"The team know each other much better than last season. They are comfortable with the system and the players around them," said Benitez.

"When I am told we've had the same number of clean sheets now as we had in the whole of last season, it gives me confidence.

"Now we know we must score more goals and take more of the chances we create. We are stronger at the back and we can win more games."

As well as the England contingent and the Spanish quartet, John Arne Riise and Harry Kewell are playing for their countries tomorrow.

Rather than fear for Kewell, who is short of match practice, Benitez believes the two World Cup qualifiers will assist the player and club.
He said: "I'm glad Harry is going away with Australia because I want him to have games."

Great character and mentality shown yet again by Carra, but this also emphasizes why we need a CB in January.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:49 pm

A.B. wrote:"When I am told we've had the same number of clean sheets now as we had in the whole of last season, it gives me confidence.

i like to see this, a great improvement over last year. Its starting the change since last year, and its in the right direction.

A great shout from the manager for carra, playing through something like that is traumatic. Another good shout for carra in the england squad.
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:14 am

Another good shout for carra in the england squa

Personally I don't want him to play that much for England for obvious reasons
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:12 am

Kewell should take note.

Not being 100% fit isn't an excuse for some players. :)

Yanno what, the more i read about Carragher the more i like him. What a player. To think a few years ago most of the idiots couldn't stand him and he was made a scape goat.

Well in Jamie for shoving there words up there :censored:.

:buttrock
115-1073096938

Postby H_K_LFC » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:42 am

perfect charasterics and attitude for a player and possibly a future manager
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:58 am

Can you remember in the Houllier years when he would get stick playing at right back?
He's come a long way
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:32 am

A giant of the game. Utter class.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:28 am

Effes wrote:Can you remember in the Houllier years when he would get stick playing at right back?
He's come a long way

He hasn't come anywhere, its just people start to appriciate what he gives to the side more these days.

Fcukin made up for him, the abuse i used to get fo saying he's a good player, now everyones jumping on the bandwagon.
115-1073096938

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:17 am

stu_the_red wrote:
Effes wrote:Can you remember in the Houllier years when he would get stick playing at right back?
He's come a long way

He hasn't come anywhere, its just people start to appriciate what he gives to the side more these days.

Fcukin made up for him, the abuse i used to get fo saying he's a good player, now everyones jumping on the bandwagon.

i wouldnt say its jumping on the bandwagon stu. I would say after moving back to centre, he was able to live up to his full potential to where he is now. At right, he just did his job and went on with it. he didnt care because this is his team. Now at centre you can see his true stature as a commanding, dedicated, and passionate player.
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:10 am

Even more reason to get a quality centreback in january...

We can't put Carra thorugh this ordeal again..(although he himself thinks otherwise). It is not wise for carra's long-term career if he keeps getting painkiller shots...

Cos, I wanna see carra playing for us well through his 30s..... :bowdown
Last edited by The_Rock on Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:01 pm

The_Rock wrote:Even more reason to get a quality centreback in january...

We can't put Carra thorugh this ordeal again..(although he himself thinks otherwise). It is not wise for carra's long-term career if he keeps getting painkiller shots...

Cos, I wanna see carra playing for us well through his 30s..... :bowdown

Dead right about that.

It shows what sort of a player Carragher is that he never wants to miss a match and will play through the pain barrier for the club he obviously loves.

But we do need to provide him with cover, so he is still playing in his 30's.

I have always thought he was a good reliable player and think his limitations as a right back were more to do with the instructions he was given by the manager (defend first, let the attackers attack) but the last year and a half he has matured not only as a player but also as a leader.
He is the player every game that guarantees 100 % in every challenge and demands it from his team mates...we see him screaming at players with instructions and tbh that pleases me just as much as a goal at times.
He is a player that you would love to have alongside you on the pitch and is already a reds legend.
His interviews are class as well, dead funny. :bowdown

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:44 pm

I would say that Carra is one of the most underrated players in Europe.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mramo » Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:15 pm

Another Legend - has quit Man Utd

So - has anyone got any good roy keane jokes?
mramo

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion