Who is the lord? - Will it always be fowler?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:21 pm

Has Stevie G taken over the 'God' title from Robbie Fowler do you think or will Robbie always be the messiah?

Robbie was, is and always will be GOD...for two or three years he was the mutts as far as strikers go. Unfortunately injury, dodgy company and a clash of personalities robbed us (and subsequently other teams) of a real talent.

Stevie is a class apart from any other midfield player in the country at the moment and you can just hear the adding machines tinkering away in Spain ready for a raid. Stevie deinitely is the man as far as the fans are concerned because just like God he is one of us. He knows and feels the hurt when we lose, and shows the same desire to win as Robbie did in his early days.

How awesome would we be if Steve and Robbie had come through at the same time???...what a lovely thought...
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Woollyback » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:27 pm

As majestic as Stevie is he's got a way to go yet before he can match Robbie. A four and a half minute hat-trick against Arsenal was just about the best footballing moment I've ever seen in my life.

Robbie will always be GOD   :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:33 pm

would have to agree. in the 1995-96 season i said that he was the most "natural goalscorer" i had ever seen. he was just a goal machine, right foot, left foot, headers. just an awesome sight.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:06 pm

Right this myth about Fowler pisses me off.

He was overated. At his bets he was a fantastic goalscorer in a side that played to his strengths. He was never a world class player though. A world class goalscorer yes but never a world class player. He's never been strong, quick, good at holding the ball up, his attitude was often questionable and he had a tendancy to be lazy at times (which i supose Owen has aswell). During the treble season he was a better player than he'd ever been just he was playing in a different style of team against different defenders and the game has moved on. The injuries probably prevented him moving on with the game but still he isn't the player some made him out to be and never was.

Fowler will always be "God" because thats who Robbie was, he is my favourate player of all time and i'll never forget some of the brilliance and cheek he often showed but in no way was he ever in the same class as Owen or Gerrard are in now.
115-1073096938

Postby JBG » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:32 pm

Fowler was irresistable for a few years, people better not forget that.

He could go through spells of getting 12 or 13 in 10 games, and almost always bagged loads against Villa and the Gunners!

He was an absolutely lethal goalscorer at his peak who almost always found the goal no matter where he shot from.

He showed signs of improving his all round game when Houllier arrived, getting better at picking passes and holding the ball up, but there were serious problems behind the scenes. Robbie's drop in fitness was alarming, and without his sharpness he was nothing.

I think its an awful shame because if Fowler had reached his potential we probably would be a hell of a lot better off now than we are....imagine Fowler, Owen and Gerrard all at their peak (with Steve McMannaman at his best on the right) currently wearing the Liverpool shirt.

If that happened those down south wouldn't be laughing at us now.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:44 pm

Fowler is definitely the most exciting player I've seen in the red shirt. I remember the old RAF partnership when Rush's career was starting to wind down, and it was obvious then that Robbie was going to turn out to be the better striker of the two. The fact that he'd not just score goals but utterly humiliate defences and goalkeepers while he did it was just a joy to watch.

And I'd love to see him in a red shirt again. The thing about Houllier that really gets to me the most though is that he can't seem to let players go without burning bridges. Litmanen would be a brilliant acquisition on the coaching side when he finally retires as a player - that'll never happen after he was shat on so badly. After Babbel returned to the squad following his appalling illness, GH offloaded him just months later and publicly attacked his attitude. He'd be a great, reliable squad player for us now but he'd be a mug to come back after that.

Robbie's had injury and attitude problems, but I can't help feeling that we'd be in a better situation now had he stayed. Let's face it - Owen's hardly been an ever-present in the side since he left, and Baros aside we've not got any other proven goalscorers that you'd put money on to find the net when you're trying to dig out a result. In the last couple of months, Robbie's shown glimpses of his best form (and has been very unlucky - he could have had a hat-trick against Chelsea).
ivor_the_injun

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:19 pm

When Robbie recieved the ball his finely tuned ability to create space and find the goal, made him unique and in the Bergkamp mould of Football phenomena so simple it was GENIUS and the goal he scored against Villa has to be one of the finest executed  in the premiership , Fowler was unpredictable and his instinct for scoring undeniable .Owen is a different animal entirely his pace is his biggest asset and sometimes his control lets him down ,were as Robbie had excellent ball control ,and although a yard or two slower i consider Robbie one of Liverpools finest strikers ,i can only wonder at the goals he would have scored with Gerrard in the form he is now
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redandblue » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:35 pm

Oh No. For the very first time I am in agreement with Stu. That worries me.

Anyway, Fowler was a waster. Exciting on his day, yes, a Liverpool boy, yes, scored some great goals yes.

But he was unprofessional as a footballer, didn't train properly, got easily injured and was always up to things off the field.

Fowler had the raw talent to be one of our greatest ever players but he abused that talent big time. He's not in the same league as players like Dalglish, Rush, Souness, Hansen, Smith.

He had the talent to be great. He wasn't.
redandblue
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion