Benitez backs his strikers

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Tiiger » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:40 pm

Shoud Houllier have bought a good right winger when he had the money, Rafa woundn't have troubled so much!
Those who forget the past have no future.
Tiiger

Postby kazza » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:00 am

Funny thing is I thought Cisse looked as good as he looked like last year before he got injured. Well at least he is back to full fitness.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bermenstein » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:54 am

rash wrote:selling cisse would be a big mistake.  He is our most dynamic player up front and he could form a partnership with almost anyone.  i think nando is the one to go, prem league is just not the place for him.

I dont think so. The fella has no vision. He will shoot from anywhere, and normally off target. His goal/Shot ratio is very poor.
When Houlier went, Liverpool should have abolished the transfer, as it was his final signing, and Benitez was not at Anfield at the time.
This 6 strikers quote is very misleading.
Baros is going,(5) Mellor is not the "Standard" (4), Crouch not proven (3) Sinama Pongolle Light weight (2), Morientes still doesnt look comfortable (1) Cisse???Jury's out.
Our goals are coming from Gerrard. Alonso yesterday. Midfield is cutting it.
As for Luis Garcia, he is not a right winger, is he a striker?? where is his best Position? Its all over the place.

I just hope Benitez is right and can prove me wrong, and many others on these boards, that something just aint right with the forward line.
Bermenstein
LFC Super Member

Postby red37 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:02 am

i dont think rafa sounded happy AT all.

???

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby bigmick » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:54 pm

The forward line provides great concern at the moment. IMHO Morientes isn't going to make the grade. I've said it from very early in the piece and I'm yet to think even for a moment that I've called it wrong. i think Cisse can be forgiven Saturdays indifferent display, he wouldn't be the first to become unsettled by transfer speculation and being played out of position. Mellor clearly isn't good enough, I suspect Pongolle isn't either and Baros is on his way.
I applauded the bold signing of Crouch, big money when nobody else fancied him and hope that it works out for him because right now, never mind a squad player he could be our number one striker once his ban runs out.
I've said from day one that I think Garcia is a wonderful little player, and though he has started the season very rustilly I have no concerns about him. I see him as a second striker, alternating between Owen when we play 4-4-2 and Gerrard when we play 4-5-1.
All is not lost though. Defensively, due to the introduction of Sissoko we look much more solid. Also, once Rafa realises that Zenden isn't the answer down the left and that Riise is a far better bet we should improve there aswell. Four points from two games aint bad.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby joependo » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:06 pm

Baros is going,(5) Mellor is not the "Standard" (4), Crouch not proven (3) Sinama Pongolle Light weight (2), Morientes still doesnt look comfortable (1) Cisse???Jury's out.
Our goals are coming from Gerrard. Alonso yesterday. Midfield is cutting it.
As for Luis Garcia, he is not a right winger, is he a striker?? where is his best Position? Its all over the place
I am not having a go at you but i don't think no one is bothered as long as the goals are comin in from Goalkeepers to Attackers.Aslong as we get 3 points
joependo

Postby PinkPantha » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:13 am

I am very worried about our strikers, I don't see any of them making an impact
PinkPantha

Postby azriahmad » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:27 am

me too, pink pantha. to be honest.

they are misfiring very badly and none of them looks the business at all at this moment. Only consolation is that they are a bit better in the CL, but then again, the opposition have not been exactly the top of the European echelon either.

Also, we need a right sided midfielder/winger badly.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby matrix » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:58 am

still the panic folks   dont worry rafa will get the winger and the cb   and some striker  eh i cant remember his name its suposed to be a secret ?   :D   :cool:

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Liverpool 4 EVA » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:22 am

A.B. wrote:Source:LiverpoolFC.tv
  • Rafael Benitez defended strikers Djibril Cisse and Fernando Morientes following the 1-0 win over Sunderland and backed them to score goals as the season progresses.
    The Liverpool manager said he was satisfied with the three points and a clean sheet but admitted the victory over Sunderland was nowhere near a classic performance.

Benitez felt Liverpool started well and then dropped off the pace to allow Sunderland back into the game.

Benitez said: "I am satisfied with the result as it's three points. We started well and created a lot of opportunities and Xabi scored a great free-kick.

"We needed to score the second goal but we didn't. That gave Sunderland more confidence and they put us under some pressure without creating clear chances. We didn't play as fluently as I would have liked but I'm not overly worried about the chances the strikers missed. We could have scored three or four goals today but that happens some times.

"I used Cisse on the right wing but that is not his position. That is why I am looking for a right winger."

Well anybody who thought that Benítez was thinking of Cisse as a permanent right wing fixture is thick.

It's obvious Cisse has only been on the right wing because Benítez has already said like a TRILLION times "I am looking for a right winger and a centre back".
Drummerphil - our thoughts are with you
Liverpool 4 EVA
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Liverpool 4 EVA » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:31 am

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:
Feeney wrote:
cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Rafa doesnt sound to convincing on the TV interview about Cisse i must admit, bit worrying actually he says, we have had no offers for cisse, well I wasnt aware he was for sale? he says he is our player now so is milan and now your going to ask me about michael. We have 6 strikers and a very good offer from lyon for Milan we will disscus it and then we have 5 strikers....................he was not 100% procent convinsing about keeping Cisse though, what was everyone else's take on it? those that have seen it.

Rafa seems the type of manager who would sell any of his players at the right price. I get the feeling, to him,  no-one is ireplacable...  ???

Spot on feeney he is probably ruthless behind the scenes. It may be good in one way but in another it can knock players confidence.

Well yes that is 100% CORRECT.

People who know a lot about Rafa knows his smile and "nice guy" face in public disguise a VERY ruthless man, and often an unlikeable man if you work with him.

If for some reason he doesn't like you, THATS it....BYE, BYE, no second chance....

He's had MANY fall outs with players, and won't take rubbish from ANYONE.

A bit like Alex Ferguson, only that el señor Rafael has a MILLION times more class, charm, grace and intelligence than Ferguson.
Drummerphil - our thoughts are with you
Liverpool 4 EVA
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tommycockles » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:30 pm

To be honest i can't wait for the transfer window to close, and although i trust Rafa completely i wish he'd not play such a closed game with his transfer dealings. It's all well and good not talking about who he wants to buy as obviosuly the prices will go up, but when it comes to who he's going to sell the problem we have is that the season's now started and our players don't know where they're going to be in a month's time. It's important that we make a strong start to the campaign as it's dificult to catch up once you've fallen behind (as we saw last year). If Baros or Cisse are going- get talking to Real, get a bid accepted for Owen and get rid of one of ours- either way- do it quick before we start losing points!!
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion