Owen spotted at melwood training ground

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:22 am

Just to be pedantic, Rafa hasn't named the CB and RW he's after. Does this mean he is hunting two players called " " and " "? - No. He's saving us money. Please try and understand CF and LG.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:52 am

I know this should go on the Rumour thread but I just saw " " (no, not " ", " "!) outside Melwood! :D
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby <-alonso-> » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:11 pm

i saw him down my villiage cricket team's pavilion, he's got more vhance of gettin a game there than at lfc.
<-alonso->
(-alex-)
<-alonso->

Postby NiftyNeil » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:15 pm

By bringing back St Michael, we can utilise Cisse as a right winger if needed.
It's a double win - another class striker, and the fastest right winger in the premiership/
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kopite » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:14 pm

lets get owen joaquin and a new centre back thats fine
we'll win the league then
kopite

Postby Judge » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:10 am

i say we will sign Owen in 4 weeks, if it draws on any longer then the deal will be dead. IMO
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:42 am

From the times.

Owen set for Anfield return
By Matt Dickinson

LIVERPOOL ARE BRACED for days of haggling with Real Madrid as they seek to bring Michael Owen back to Anfield. The Spanish club want £16 million — twice what they paid — for the England forward, but Rick Parry, Liverpool’s chief executive, hopes to reduce it to £12 million, with the payments spread over a few years.
Formal negotiations between the clubs should start this week as soon as Liverpool have recouped some funds from the departure of Milan Baros to Aston Villa. The Czech Republic forward should move to the Midlands for about £6.5 million.

Although Rafael Benítez, the Liverpool manager, has emphasised that a centre half is his priority, he recognises that Owen’s return to Anfield would improve his team. Although Benítez has international forwards in Fernando Morientes, Peter Crouch and Djibril Cissé, Owen’s pedigree as a proven Premiership goalscorer should ensure that he is first choice.

Benítez did not beg Owen to stay on Merseyside when he took over last summer, but by then it was apparent that the player was looking to move. Despite rumours to the contrary, the pair parted on good terms, so there are no obstacles to a deal apart from the financial restrictions that mean that Liverpool will try to drive a hard bargain — particularly having sold Owen for £8 million 12 months ago.

Liverpool had hoped to persuade Real to accept a loan deal with a view to a permanent transfer but, with Newcastle United able to offer cash for Owen, they will almost certainly have to pay now. Parry is likely to offer £6 million up front, with the rest to follow over the remainder of the player’s contract.

A return to Anfield is not the only option available to Owen, but it is by far the most attractive. England’s leading goalscorer among the present squad, who is scheduled to join up with his national team-mates today before Wednesday’s friendly against Denmark in Copenhagen, is willing to consider Newcastle, but only on loan and only if the Liverpool deal collapses.

Manchester United have registered their interest in informal talks with Owen’s representatives. Sir Alex Ferguson is a long-term admirer and the Glazer family are eager to back the manager with funds but a holding midfield player is top of the shopping list at Old Trafford before the end of the transfer window on August 31.

Owen, who was in Hungary for a friendly with Real last night, may have to be patient as the clubs negotiate. The deal may not be concluded for at least a week but Gary Lineker, the former England forward and now BBC pundit, is convinced that the player will be back in the Premiership by the end of the month. “Trust me,” Lineker wrote in his newspaper column. “Owen is coming home.”

Real’s purchase of Robinho and Júlio Baptista has all but ensured Owen’s departure and Lineker compared the player’s predicament with the end of his time in Barcelona. “Football clubs, unfortunately, have a habit of playing silly devils in such situations,” Lineker said. “No one ever told me — as I am sure they have not told Owen — that I was unwanted but their actions make it perfectly clear that is the case.

“They say you should never go back but Owen would slot straight in at a club he knows so well, and he would be returning to the European champions — hardly a step down from Madrid, whereas a move to Newcastle would seem that way.”
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:14 am

judging by that news article, i was right to say what i have today and in the past :)
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Magician » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:26 pm

I heard that he was going to sign for us sometime this week.
The Magician

Expect the Unexpected
The Magician

Postby A.B. » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:41 pm

i say we will sign Owen in 4 weeks, if it draws on any longer then the deal will be dead. IMO

The transfer window is only open for two more weeks, so your 4 week prediction is off the mark
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby destro » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:46 pm

im going for him signing by the end of this week. gerrard has already come out   and said he wants him back , and rafa has said in the past he talks to stevie regarding possible targets. come on liverpool lets end this nonsense and bring back our only chance of a 20+ goals a season striker
destro

Postby madcarper » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:14 pm

I hope we sign him soon because i dont think we will score enough goals without him
madcarper

Postby Afroman » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:20 pm

I see myself as a realist and I honestly think he will come in the next week  :;):
Afroman
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:09 am

A.B. wrote:

The transfer window is only open for two more weeks, so your 4 week prediction is off the mark

not really. you can sign someone, then go over personal terms for a further 2 weeks, making four weeks, then perhaps it could fall down, then the deals off.

thats how you can stretch things for 4 weeks AB.

as you are a stats anorak AB, i thought at least you would have known that?!?

:D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bedlovedays » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:46 am

:p
bedlovedays

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion