Teamsheet v cska - How will rafa play it ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Judge » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:28 pm

A.B. wrote:AB says

He makes one descent cross after 152 attempts.

AB, riise made 4 decent crosses during the champs league final, one of which resulted in a goal from the head of the mercurial stevie gerrard, so i dont understand you point??
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:31 pm

Steven Gerrard may be thrust into a forward role in Sofia tomorrow as Rafa Benitez looks to compensate for the loss of Peter Crouch.
Crouch's hamstring problem kept him on Merseyside as the rest of the squad headed to Bulgaria today.

Benitez is expected to favour a more cautious approach in the tricky first leg, with Xabi Alonso paired with Didi Hamann or Momo Sissoko, allowing Gerrard to play the roaming role which proved so significant in the second half of the Champions League final.

Having handed Fernando Morientes a vote of confidence in the face of pre-season criticism, Benitez must decide whether to back the Spanish striker to lead the line or persist with Djibril Cisse.
Milan Baros has been surprisingly included in the travelling party, despite his imminent departure as the chase for his signature hots up.

Baros was called up following a series of injuries, but is unlikely to play unless there are more problems over the next 24 hours. Bolo Zenden was withdrawn due to a slight muscle strain, joining Crouch, Djimi Traore, Harry Kewell and Florent SinamaPongolle and Neil Mellor on the injured list.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Judge » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:34 pm

AB, youve quoted something but said nothing??
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:41 pm

I quote news articles.

AB, riise made 4 decent crosses during the champs league final, one of which resulted in a goal from the head of the mercurial stevie gerrard, so i dont understand you point??

4 decent crosses in the entire game? That should make my point. If Riise can only get a couple of decent crosses in the entire 90 minutes of football, then that's not good enough. He had a fantastic season, but as a winger he's average.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:46 pm

the way we best utilise riise when he's playing in midfield is alonso and gerrard hitting 40-50 yard diagonal balls from right to left looking for riise to get in behind his full back. look at the ball alonso played for riise's goal at blackburn and gerrard's ball for riise's goal at west brom.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ian Rush's Right foot » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:51 pm

CSKA striker Sakaliev predicts in the Bulgarian media a 2-0 win for CSKA; their manager predicts they would fight until the end. The opinion of the Bulgarian media is that Liverpool are a good team but not so good that CSKA cannot do it with a bit of luck.

....I'm the bee's knee, his legs and his arms.....
Ian Rush's Right foot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:04 pm

A.B. wrote:

I quote news articles.

4 decent crosses in the entire game? That should make my point. If Riise can only get a couple of decent crosses in the entire 90 minutes of football, then that's not good enough. He had a fantastic season, but as a winger he's average.

i was talking aerial crosses (4), along the ground daisy cutters (11), thru balls (3)

harry kewell cant manage one at all. i think you mean kewell and not riise AB!!

i know you lioke your facts n all, but i was in istanbul (ataturk stadium in the north stand), and riise was great. perhaps if you go to some of the matches you'd have a better grasp on quality issues!!
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:39 pm

i was talking aerial crosses (4), along the ground daisy cutters (11), thru balls (3)

harry kewell cant manage one at all. i think you mean kewell and not riise AB!!

i know you lioke your facts n all, but i was in istanbul (ataturk stadium in the north stand), and riise was great. perhaps if you go to some of the matches you'd have a better grasp on quality issues!!

I've watched the game countless times, over and over again. I wasn't impressed by Riise, he's average at best as a winger.

Duff,Robben,Ronaldo,Giggs, those are natural wingers. Riise isn't one of them.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Judge » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:50 pm

before riise came to liverpool, there were serious interest from fulham, manure and arsenal for his services, so he cant be that bad a player.

but i respect your opinion
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:01 pm

before riise came to liverpool, there were serious interest from fulham, manure and arsenal for his services, so he cant be that bad a player.

I'm not saying that he's a bad player, I think he's a usefull player to have in the squad however in my opinion I don't think he's the pernament[spelling?] answer for the left wing.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Judge » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:03 pm

your right, he could never attain permanent status in that role. could you imagine riise at 80 years of age crossing the ball :D , hopefully we will fill his boots before then :p
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:15 pm

could you imagine riise at 80 years of age crossing the ball :D , hopefully we will fill his boots before then

:D
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Judge » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:25 am

i think we are good for 4 goals tonight :)
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:44 am

I have £7.50 on Liverpool win tonight (12-1). £97.50 back if I win

So on that reasoning I think there'll be 3 goals tonight and one conceded :p
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:02 am

SouthCoastShankly wrote:Liverpool win tonight 12-1

i know we are good, but 12 -1  :laugh:
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<