Managers of yesteryear

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Homebooby » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:47 am

Hopefully this will spark some interesting debate. I was doing housework yesterday dreaming of some other existence where I wasn't cleaning  :D and whilst considering some of the goings on on this board from the last couple of days, comments on top managers now, fergie and wenger on their way down, changing of the guard with Rafa and Sade (Mr. Not so smoothe operator) at Chelsea, high transfer fees and wages, spin, tabloids and agents.

I was wondering what how the managers of yesteryear, Shanks, Paisley etc would have operated and survived in todays environment. I'll avoid writing my essay at the moment as it currently would turn out inconclusive.  I'd be interested to hear your comments though.
Homebooby

Postby Starbridge42 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:50 am

I think great managers would succeed in any era, just like great players.  Shanks would have been one of the best today as he was one of the best then.  Paisley, would have been one of the best today as he was then.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby Homebooby » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:36 am

Just the one response then. Oh well.

I am not sure if they would have survived as successfully as you are saying. I think it works a little bit in the same way as putting a footballer of yesteryear into todays circumstances. Things are totally different now, the game is faster and the skill levels higher. Rules have changed and the method of playing (crunching tackles etC) no longer tolerated. Whenever I watch a 70's game, I am dumbstruck at how slow the game is....how much time the 'star' players have on the ball....the poor levels of defending and sometimes goalkeeping. In todays game, they'd be walloped before they had a chance to pass the ball.

In the world of primaddonas, excessive wage bills, media spin, agents, almost zero loyalty and contracts that don't seem to tie anyone to a club anymore for more than about 6 months, I am not sure if the Shankly no-nonsense attitude would work. You see players holding clubs to ransom nowadays and it takes a different type of manager to deal with all these factors successfully.

On the other hand, I was wondering if the above is really true. Perhaps the managers that we have now allow this type of behaviour to exist and the fear of Shankly would redress the balance.

I thought it was an interesting topic anyway. I'll go back to my housework and shut up from now on  :D
Homebooby

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:48 am

:D
112-1077774096

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:17 am

Homebooby wrote:In the world of primaddonas, excessive wage bills, media spin, agents, almost zero loyalty and contracts that don't seem to tie anyone to a club anymore for more than about 6 months, I am not sure if the Shankly no-nonsense attitude would work. You see players holding clubs to ransom nowadays and it takes a different type of manager to deal with all these factors successfully.

On the other hand, I was wondering if the above is really true. Perhaps the managers that we have now allow this type of behaviour to exist and the fear of Shankly would redress the balance.

I thought it was an interesting topic anyway. I'll go back to my housework and shut up from now on  :D

I think in essence you have answered you own question here .Times have indeed changed and even the great managers of yesteryear would find it hard to put up with the sh'ite (both on and off the pitch ) served up by many of todays' so called professionals.

:(

ps my kitchen floor needs cleaning , can you nip round ?   :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Homebooby » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:24 am

woof woof ! wrote:
Homebooby wrote:In the world of primaddonas, excessive wage bills, media spin, agents, almost zero loyalty and contracts that don't seem to tie anyone to a club anymore for more than about 6 months, I am not sure if the Shankly no-nonsense attitude would work. You see players holding clubs to ransom nowadays and it takes a different type of manager to deal with all these factors successfully.

I think in essence you have answered you own question here .Times have indeed changed and even the great managers of yesteryear would find it hard to put up with the sh'ite (both on and off the pitch ) served up by many of todays' so called professionals.

:(

ps my kitchen floor needs cleaning , can you nip round ?   :D

Did you not get let out for your walk this morning?  :D
Homebooby

Postby laza » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:24 am

Im not so sure the legends that is Shanks/Bob  would have survived the PC  press conferences these days. When you consider some of the quotes they have used , they would have a worst reputation then Maureen in this sanitized era
Always very difficult to try and compare manager/players from different eras
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:49 pm

Is Shanks or Paisly were 40 today, they'd have grown up in a different era and have different views of the world/people. They wouldn't be Shanks and Paisley as we know them.

They'd be able to deal with all the stuff that goes on today.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion