Kaunas vs liverpool 1st leg - Pitch is very bad- will this effect us?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:18 pm

No it's fair. Not all teams are in CL qualifiers but we are and thats given Gerrard the chance to score more goals than those players who aren't in CL qualifiers but will be in the CL.
Last edited by A.B. on Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Rafas Amigo » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:23 pm

get a petition going to Mr Blatter !!!
JAMIE '  ILL STAY TILL THE CLUB DOSENT WANT ME  ' CARRAGHER
Rafas Amigo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:39 pm

i agree about job done

but...................

in the last six games by now i would expect to see a bit more sharpness coming.

josemi i think we can forget about at some point soon. and as cover, which is all he possibly can be, im sorry but i dont see HOW he's in our squad, let alone be in the 11.

riise i thought was very jaded AGAIN. yep its pre-season, but attacking we have better options now. and defending id even prefer traore. its a strange one with him, i like the player, but zenden offers more.

hyypia at times he will cost us goals...shame

cisse in the box great..........outside the box....er

garcia wasteful on the ball at times.why oh why does everything have to be fancy. having said that there are times thats what we'll need.

morientes im getting bored with defending him now. ITS TIME TO DELIVER. he has a great first touch.. but no oomph!! yeah bad pitch. yeah only 15 minutes to show. but for a player of his stature he should be pissin' this. he needs to go the gym!

overall an OK showing. im just a touch worried about the whole right side and central defence. and six games later we seem to have reached a plateau.

i agree with thommo on sky that gerrard is missed when alonso/sissoko or hamann are holding...........

im sure rafa knows the solution and no one is getting carried away here, but the weakness is glaring.

:(

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby akumaface » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:59 am

I didn't see or listen to the match last night. But I think its definitely a good result. Once again, Gerard delivered. Really glad to see Carra is rewarded with a goal. Now, just hope Nando pick himself up again. Maybe let him play link up behind the striker like Bergkamp does in Arsenal. I think I'm really satisfied so far because we have good result even if we are not playing with all the cylinder yet. So, just imagine how good we can be if everyone perform up to their capability. Just keep your finger crossed.
:;):
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby 2520years » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:27 am

So far we've played...
Wrexham
Olympiacos
Bayer Leverkeusen
TNS (twice)
Kaunus
...and won every game.  Played 6, Won 6, Drew 0, Lost 0.  You can only beat the teams put in front of you.  I'm fairly optomistic assuming Rafa gets hold of a central defender and right-sided midfielder.
:)
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:31 am

And if not?
66-1112520797

Postby RedorDead » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:47 am

I think it is a good result. Coming to places like Lithuania is very very diificlut, teams play with 10 behind the ball and harrass us in midfield and make life generally as difficult as they can. We won and have effectively killed the tie off. We have scored three goals, created enough chances to score twice that and we picked up no injuries. although it was not a polished "beautiful" display I think we have to be happy with what we saw last night.
Some people are talking about a lack of sharpness after 6 pre-season games and these qualifiers.....I think this is not down to any physical state but more the mental state of players. Players just do not get as motivated or driven for these sorts of games as they do when the league starts proper. It's the same with the league cup, teams and players just don't push themselves. This is why some of the bigger teams, us included have struggled against lesser opposition, even in the premiership. We have always been extremely competitive against the top 4-5 teams in the league year in and year out, last year's short comings were against Southampton, Palace, Burnley....it is this mentality of playing the lesser teams that Rafa needs to work on and if he gets that right then I see no reason we can't challenge at th e very top this season. Remember Rafa won the league with valencia while real madrid were spending their millions on their Galacticos....I'd love to see a similar result here!!
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:19 am

Doesn't matter who we are playing, the best habit you can have in football is the habit of winning.

Raffa is still playing around with the squad but,from what I've heard, there is a better squad mentality than ever and there's a bond forming.
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:43 am

Only major concern now is the lack of pace at the back. It was  very worrying how Olympiacos exposed our lack of pace many times during the friendly match last Saturday. It was also very worrying how Kaunas players could skin past Hyypia so effortlessly, which ultimately led to the goal that they score. Most importantly, I think it would be to invest on a quality CB, namely Andrade or even Gallas. With the remaining budget, mainly supported by funds generated from Dudek's and even Baros's sale (hope the latter would not leave though, Milan's still quality), we could also purchase another quality RM. Could it be Joaquin? Here's hoping. 

Annother minor concern is the inability to finish off blatant scoring opportunities. Just count how many times our strikers, namely Cisse and Morientes, have been poor when in front of goal and we must sharpen up before the new season. That said, we could have scored 5+ against Kaunas yesterday. As I mentioned, it's just a minor concern as it's still theoretically pre-season and Rafa would no doubt know exactly how to get the striker's to find the back of the net.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:54 am

when you have a distinct lack of pace at the back, you don't defend how we've been defending in the last couple of games. it's suicide.

we've been defending so high up the pitch that it only takes one well timed run and we're screwed. fortunately we've had a couple of very generous linesman helping us out recently.

I also notice people inevitably having a go at Hyypia again. I thought Sami spent half his time being pulled out of position because Josemi and Riise were nowhere to be seen. It is no coincidence we are better when Finnan and dare I say it, Traore are playing.
Last edited by stmichael on Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ian_gow » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:03 am

i told you lads that kaunas is :censored:. i knew them well from the celtic match. i am tho worried about the 3rd tie. that could be difficult.:blues:
ian_gow

Postby antz » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:06 am

Go away rascist
antz

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:08 am

One thing that really struck me about last nights match, was how controlling we were. Ok, this is Kaunas, not Chel$ki, but they were hungry, threatening and fully fit, playing on a terrible surface in a loud environment, which is a real first for us this season away from Anfield. But despite this, the team had cool heads, they weren't drawn into the scrap that Kaunas offered them, they played there own game, and they came out comfortable winners. Everyone did their job, did it well, and at half pace due to the Javelin dented pitch. I take it they're having a wee rest before the home leg, right? This will be very beneficial, and I feel that we will then see the team that will play out the season. maybe not the players, but the mentality.
Job done. :)
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:15 am

stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ALONSO_14 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:29 am

has it been announced what day we will be playing our 1st leg of the 3rd qualifying round? its either the 9th or the 10th and i go on holiday on the morning of the 10th so im hoping its on the 9th so i can watch it
LIVERPOOL FC- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNERS 2005
                        EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS, 5TH TIME WINNERS
                        ISTANBUL
ALONSO_14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion