Carra speaks

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:34 pm

Jamie Carragher has hit out at the headline writers who claimed he'd written off Liverpool's title chances before a ball has been kicked in the forthcoming Premiership season.
Liverpudlians were surprised to read comments attributed to Carragher in last week's newspaper that virtually dismissed the Reds' aspirations of ending their long wait for the title.

But Carra today insists that he does believe Liverpool have what it takes to win the Premiership in 2005/06.

"I was a bit disappointed with the headlines in the Sunday papers the other week saying I didn't think we'd win it," he says. "There's a difference between being asked 'can we win it?' or 'will we win it?'

"Of course I think we can win it, but it's not the Liverpool way to start saying we're going to do this or that, so I'm not going to say we're definitely going to win the title this season.

"At the same time, I'm the last person you'll hear being defeatist and writing off our chances before a ball is kicked. We'll all start on equal points and we have proved in the Champions League the levels we can reach.

"I'm sick and tired of hearing and talking about fourth place, so when we start the season at Middlesbrough, we will be going out there thinking only of playing for that title. We'll see how the season goes after that."

Carragher, who's currently in Lithuania preparing for tonight's Champions League qualifier against FBK Kaunas, also says that he's been impressed with what he's seen so far of new striker Peter Crouch

"Peter's first touch in training confirmed to everyone he's a good player," adds the Anfield vice-captain.

"He controlled a high ball, dribbled past two men and won a penalty. Everyone was applauding him, although it was easier for me because he was on my team.

"I think that proved what we already knew. He's not just someone who'll offer an aerial threat, but he's good on the deck too. You could see that from the goal he created on Saturday. Defenders are going to find him a problem.

"The good thing for the manager is, at the moment at least, he's got four top strikers to choose from andall bring something different to the team.

"Cisse and Baros have the pace while Morientes is one of the most skilful players I've ever seen. It's all about having options.

"There were times last season when we didn't seem to have any strikers fit at all. We can't have that situation again, especially as we could be competing for six trophies this season if we go to the world club championships."

I'm really looking forward to this Premiership season, I think we'll play with more confidence and determination than the last campain. Winning the CL was a huge mental boost. We proved ourselfs in Europe now we got to prove ourselves in the league.

This time around we have more "possibilities" and options.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ciggy » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:37 pm

Out of the 6 tropheys I expect to see 3 of them at anfield  :buttrock
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:43 pm

high expectations!
what you after?
super cup, carling cup and..............
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:55 pm

passmeistro_#14 wrote:high expectations!
what you after?
super cup, carling cup and..............

No the European Cup, the Premiereship trophey and throw the old F.A. cup in there while we are at it :;):  :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:09 pm

Out of the six competitions I expect us to have all six trophies :D
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby El Nino_#9 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:14 pm

i'll be happy with a trophy this season (not including super cup).
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ALONSO_14 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:45 pm

what would be classed as an unacceptable season?

i would say no trophys and less than 3rd place would be a failure of a season
LIVERPOOL FC- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNERS 2005
                        EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS, 5TH TIME WINNERS
                        ISTANBUL
ALONSO_14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:46 pm

Carragher is a hero , i have just seen the final again(about 6 times in 6 days on dvd) and what i did not see till about the 3rd time i see it was that when Stevie lift the trophy after about 8sec you get a long shot of all of them on the stand...Carragher had moved to the back and was holding on as his cramp had come back and for a few mins he could not join in , you can see him moveing his legs trying to work it off.
the guy put so much into that game and that why i dont belive what the papers said about him. anyway once you got past the headliens and look at only the quotes he did not write us off at all.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:46 pm

ALONSO_14 wrote:what would be classed as an unacceptable season?

i would say no trophys and less than 3rd place would be a failure of a season

so you wouldn't settle for fourth?
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ALONSO_14 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:50 pm

no, not if we didnt win any trophys either. a trophy and 4th would be good enough but without a trophy we would have to get higher in the league for it to be acceptable, just 4th isnt good enough
LIVERPOOL FC- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNERS 2005
                        EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS, 5TH TIME WINNERS
                        ISTANBUL
ALONSO_14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:57 pm

The Super Cup in an important trophy...just ask Houllier! :p
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrTNT » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:31 pm

I would be happy with the Super Cup, FA Cup and fourth place.
REST IN PEACE PHIL!
DrTNT

Postby 76-1115222408 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:44 pm

lakes10 wrote:Carragher had moved to the back and was holding on as his cramp had come back and for a few mins he could not join in , you can see him moveing his legs trying to work it off.

I saw that too, and it made me realise EXACTLY what type of man Carra is....he must have been hurting the whole time before that but held out till they lifted the trophy.
A true soldier and a true Hero.
76-1115222408

Postby H_K_LFC » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:33 pm

Carra's a feckin legend especially after his first goal after 6 years 2day..:D

I expect 2 win the super cup,f.a cup,long run in the champions league,and 3rd in the prem
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:35 pm

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/cgi/NGoto/103557663?-11194

bit about baros..nuff said rafa!

:suspect:

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion