Liverpool where do we lie? - Will we compete?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Galactico » Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:56 pm

Can we compete with the likes of the top "three"? In my opinion..No doudt, we are as good as any of the top three teams.... Being consistent against the weaker premiership sides seems to be our problem.

yes weve had a very difficult season in terms of injuries, new management, tactics, players etc. But in all honesty Arsenal and Chelsea had thier injuries, albeit not on our scale, nevertheless they did remain consistent.

Could this be due to the fact that possibly the newly adopted formation we use tends to be a negative one? starving the opposition of possession, in my eyes that isnt an important tactic against the likes of brum and albion as all they tend to do is hoof the ball. OK thats a bit harsh.....but you do get my point.

I honestly feel this season is the Golden oppertunity to close the gap my resons being are as such:

1) We have 30-35mil to spend to mount a serious challenge. The team is beeming full of confidence, and we now passed the virgin stages of the new management.
2) Arsenal for the first, time in along time, dont seem to have that unity..ljungberg is talking of leaving, they still dont have a great keeper, Pires and the majician Bergy are almost 6 feet under and last but not least Ashley cole- Plays for Juve!!
3)United firstly are now American, thier own fans despise them, especially the ones from pompey!! Giggs, Keane Van der Sar of to the morge. And finally Ruud cant score!!
4)Chelsea well, they will remain dominate but weaknesses have been exposed to the footballing world...Most notably by US!!! They rely to heavily on thier wingers and without them thier in trouble- Having said said that wingers is what we NEED. Finally being the most hated team (Mourinho) in football aint gonna make life easy on them either

Now can you not agree with me that this season, as tough as it will be with all the fixtures, it is our opportunity to close the gap?........ and hopfully for good?
Galactico

Postby joependo » Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:44 pm

Can we compete with the likes of the top "three"? In my opinion..No doudt, we are as good as any of the top three teams.... Being consistent against the weaker premiership sides seems to be our problem.

yes weve had a very difficult season in terms of injuries, new management, tactics, players etc. But in all honesty Arsenal and Chelsea had thier injuries, albeit not on our scale, nevertheless they did remain consistent.

Could this be due to the fact that possibly the newly adopted formation we use tends to be a negative one? starving the opposition of possession, in my eyes that isnt an important tactic against the likes of brum and albion as all they tend to do is hoof the ball. OK thats a bit harsh.....but you do get my point.

I honestly feel this season is the Golden oppertunity to close the gap my resons being are as such:

1) We have 30-35mil to spend to mount a serious challenge. The team is beeming full of confidence, and we now passed the virgin stages of the new management.
2) Arsenal for the first, time in along time, dont seem to have that unity..ljungberg is talking of leaving, they still dont have a great keeper, Pires and the majician Bergy are almost 6 feet under and last but not least Ashley cole- Plays for Juve!!
3)United firstly are now American, thier own fans despise them, especially the ones from pompey!! Giggs, Keane Van der Sar of to the morge. And finally Ruud cant score!!
4)Chelsea well, they will remain dominate but weaknesses have been exposed to the footballing world...Most notably by US!!! They rely to heavily on thier wingers and without them thier in trouble- Having said said that wingers is what we NEED. Finally being the most hated team (Mourinho) in football aint gonna make life easy on them either

Now can you not agree with me that this season, as tough as it will be with all the fixtures, it is our opportunity to close the gap?........ and hopfully for good
Yeah we can even if we do or not have our injuries.But this year we will finish 5th again.The start of the prem we will ebe nackered.Firstly we have our 1st leg qf rounds on the 10 of July and den the prem starts on the 13th.Nackered.Then the 20th we have another prem game.Den the champ league 2nd leg.Nackered.Den on Wednesday the super cup final and den on sunday another prem game.Nackered once again.So we will probabaly finish 5th(i think)those 3 games will set us back if we don't win them 9 points and Cheatski don't lose that much so it is goonna be hard for our lads.But good luck
joependo

Postby dawson99 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:46 pm

again i ask, how will we be knackered? playing a third rate maltese team should be like a  pre season warm up to us
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby joependo » Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:50 pm

again i ask, how will we be knackered? playing a third rate maltese team should be like a  pre season warm up to us
I thought was like the real qf like last year we played AK Graz wich was not easy.Soz about that never knew they was so easy
joependo

Postby dawson99 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:55 pm

well nothings easy but playing the faero islands in round one or a team from northern ireland shouldnt be that much of a prob. in 3rd round we might be playing the bluenoses so it could be a rpetty interesting time for all
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:13 pm

joependo wrote:Yeah we can even if we do or not have our injuries.But this year we will finish 5th again.The start of the prem we will ebe nackered.Firstly we have our 1st leg qf rounds on the 10 of July and den the prem starts on the 13th.

You seriously think we will be outside the top 4 again this season based on the fact that we have to play a couple of extra games against shi.te teams?? ???

Thats absolute nonsense mate.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:18 pm

Galactico wrote:In my opinion..No doudt, we are as good as any of the top three teams....

This is the point I lost intrest in your post.

Are you crazy?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby joependo » Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:44 pm

You seriously think we will be outside the top 4 again this season based on the fact that we have to play a couple of extra games against shi.te teams?? 

Thats absolute nonsense mate.
I know if you red my other post you would see ised i never knew we were playing faroe teams
joependo

Postby xd3vilx » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:06 pm

I Look At Liverpool Web Site...Even The Faroe Island Champion...Their Manager Admit They Have No Chance Beating Liverpool...
xd3vilx
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:44 am

That is beside the point. LFC will still have to approach these games like any other. And while they may not be too taxing, the fact remains that the lads will at some point be knackered. No doubt against Birmingham or Everton. Poxy ba*tards.:angry: :p :angry:

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED ANT » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:45 pm

The thing is this fixture pile up is a result of our success in the champs league.So lets except it , you wouldn't change what happened now would ya.

Only finishing 5th has given us 2 extra rounds of 2 games against :censored: opposition which with a little effort on our part will be easily negotiated.

Having to play in the Super Cup & the World Club Championships is great in my opinion, it shows us to be one of the best teams around in the eyes of the world and the chances for more silverware.

The other plus point from a fans point of view is that this will speed up any transfers so we will have more than just speculation to keep us occupied.
RED ANT

Postby big al » Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:08 pm

I honestly don't think playing any of the qualifying teams will be problematic for Liverpool.  The problems will come of the pitch re:

1 Having players cup tied
and
2 Beening unable to sign the players you want due to Holidays for most teams in europe

AErly to mid July is normally the period when all the deals are done so Rafa Is out of sinc with the rest of the managers in europe, he will have to move fast.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby big al » Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:10 pm

Sorry, as for Liverpool being able to compete with the top 3 in England, I agree with Leon
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby AussieKopite » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:39 pm

As Chelsea has proven, money buys Premierships. As both CFC & ManUSA owners have deep pockets, a lot will have to change for us to really challenge for the top. I think the point made about Man USA is valid but I disagree with the Arsenal point and I don't think having an unpopular coach will adversely affect CFC, often that pulls a team together.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Belfastred » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:11 pm

1- Chelsea - the most hated team in the land they maybe, but I think thats what makes them stronger. Towards the end of last season everyone was out to get them but they didnt buckle under that pressure.

2 - Arsenal - Dont think anyone there is past it. If they lose cole its no big deal for them. Any club losing their full back  (no matter how good he is) wont effect them too much. the only player apart from him not to commit at the minute is Pires. They will be hungry as ever this coming season.

3 - Salford Buccaneers - Everything suggests a club in crisis and fergie like us has a few duff players in his squad. It will be interesting what sort of players he goes for in the transfer market. Probably the only club we can make grounds on at his present time.

4 - E*****N  - discounted, one season wonders

As for us I only hope we can improve on last year, I know we will. I think starting the season so early will not affect us until after christmas through to early spring as it seems to affected the teams playing in the inter - toto in previous years. If we get the quality in, we should make in-roads. But I think we wont see the league title at anfield this year. Hope Im wrong.
Belfastred

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion