The people of liverpool - How proud i am

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby big al » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:04 pm

It has been a long time since I posted any thread on this site. Not because i don't appreciate the value of opinion and debate expressed here but moreso due to my work etc. 

Anyway I have had many debates with quite a number of the forum users about what constitutes a Liverpool Supporter.  Too many to go into now (anyway its all on this site somewhere in the past) but I have say just a few things about the champions league success,

I don't want to talk about the re-writing of history that a simple humble spaniard, and his band of dogged, determined journey men fulfiled. When against all odds the played against the cream of european and world football and beat them. I don't want to talk about heroes lifting up their eyes and living the legend that is Liverpool football club, I don't wnat to discuss the honesty and passion of Jamie Carragher who broke the spirit and hearts of the titans of europe. 

Nor do I wish to comment on what was the shadow of a footballer that was Stephen Gerrard who as Liverpool Captain took his team through a mediocre season only to walk his team and club out of the darkness and bringing them through the storm that was Heysel and Hillsbrough.  A boy who after 45 minutes of suffering one of the greatest tempest in europe,  saw an glimpse of true greatness, and becoming a man grasped it with both hands.

I did not want to talk of these thing yet I did!

However whilst the acheivements of the team on the pitch were epic, what I as a Belfast Based fan watched the next day made me so proud.  Sky news showed the trophy being paraded through Liverpool and even that great majestic symbol of what is (in the words of my fellow coutryman Danny Blanchflower) the greatest democracy ie football, PAILED into insignifigance when I tearfully watched the fans and people of Liverpool greet David the slayer of Goliath.

I guess what I really want to say is that I'm glad and proud I  support Liverpool not only because of the club, but because of everyone of you magnificent, beautiful and loyal scousers who are truly the "salt of the earth" god bless you all. Walk on
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ciggy » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:10 pm

Welcome back Big Al long time no see  :cool:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:16 pm

big al wrote:It has been a long time since I posted any thread on this site. Not because i don't appreciate the value of opinion and debate expressed here but moreso due to my work etc. 

Anyway I have had many debates with quite a number of the forum users about what constitutes a Liverpool Supporter.  Too many to go into now (anyway its all on this site somewhere in the past) but I have say just a few things about the champions league success,

I don't want to talk about the re-writing of history that a simple humble spaniard, and his band of dogged, determined journey men fulfiled. When against all odds the played against the cream of european and world football and beat them. I don't want to talk about heroes lifting up their eyes and living the legend that is Liverpool football club, I don't wnat to discuss the honesty and passion of Jamie Carragher who broke the spirit and hearts of the titans of europe. 

Nor do I wish to comment on what was the shadow of a footballer that was Stephen Gerrard who as Liverpool Captain took his team through a mediocre season only to walk his team and club out of the darkness and bringing them through the storm that was Heysel and Hillsbrough.  A boy who after 45 minutes of suffering one of the greatest tempest in europe,  saw an glimpse of true greatness, and becoming a man grasped it with both hands.

However whilst the acheivements of the team on the pitch were epic, what I as a Belfast Based fan watched the next day made me so proud.  Sky news showed the trophy being paraded through Liverpool and even that great majestic symbol of what is (in the words of my fellow coutryman Danny Blanchflower) the greatest democracy ie football, PAILED into insignifigance when I tearfully watched the fans and people of Liverpool greet David the slayer of Goliath.

I guess what I really want to say is that I'm glad and proud I  support Liverpool not only because of the club, but because of everyone of you magnificent, beautiful and loyal scousers who are truly the "salt of the earth" god bless you all. Walk on

Great post from a guy who should simply post here more often.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby fivecups » Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:09 pm

JBG wrote:
big al wrote:It has been a long time since I posted any thread on this site. Not because i don't appreciate the value of opinion and debate expressed here but moreso due to my work etc. 

Agreed JBG - both about the quality post and the more often bit, brings back potent memories of May 25th - a date with many memories I will never forget.

Big Al: did you see the impromptu Belfast celebration? There were stacks of Liverpool supporters dancing about like eejits. We blocked the Malone Road at The Bot - first time I've seen that happen after any big match.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:13 pm

Top stuff Big Al.  It makes the hairs stand on end just thinking about that night. 

Try and get on here a bit more. :)
jonnymac1979

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:55 pm

Good post.
115-1073096938

Postby JC_81 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:14 pm

fivecups wrote:
JBG wrote:

Agreed JBG - both about the quality post and the more often bit, brings back potent memories of May 25th - a date with many memories I will never forget.

Big Al: did you see the impromptu Belfast celebration? There were stacks of Liverpool supporters dancing about like eejits. We blocked the Malone Road at The Bot - first time I've seen that happen after any big match.

Haha!!

Aye the Bot is certainly the best place in Belfast to watch LFC!!  Great atmosphere :laugh:
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:54 pm

Good on ya Al - Nice to have you back on these boards again - You are back right? :p
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:09 pm

Just a passing visit big al or are you back for good? The latter I hope :)

I've always considered myself (perhaps a bit presumptuously) an honorary scouser due to my eternal love of the city, it's people, and everything it stands for but I know what you mean on this topic. The ONLY thing that could've made Wednesday 25th May 2005 any better for me would've been if I was born, bred and still live in the city
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:56 am

Big Al, please do not make this a flying visit.

Magical night, great post, good company.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:23 am

As Jonny Mac said Al, great post that made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.
The Thurs in the city was brilliant, a sunny evening with hundreds of thousands of fellow jubilant reds celebrating our greatest triumph yet.
That was the best 2 days of my life.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby policy » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:32 am

I haven't seen that avatar for a while. Don't know ya, but have a pint on me!!!!!
Mourinho was customizing his flashy blue racing car -- applying the finishing touches of go-faster stripes, aerodynamic spoilers and a fat f@ck you exhaust -- while on his red car, Benitez was trying to glue together a broken chassis, repair bodywork and replace burst tyres.
- Paul Tomkins
policy

Postby est1900 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:08 am

ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT! :hearts
est1900

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion