Hamann staying with reds - By paul higham -  created on 9 jun 2005

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JBG » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:49 pm

Hamann staying with Reds
by Paul Higham -  created on 9 Jun 2005

Dietmar Hamann has settled his future by agreeing on a new deal with European champions Liverpool.

Hamann's current deal was to expire in the summer, and some thought his last game in a red shirt could have come in the UEFA Champions League final.

The German midfielder made a superb impact when coming on at half time in Istanbul, helping to stem Milan's threat and eventually help The Reds to an amazing victory.

The 31-year-old was linked with move to Bolton and Everton, as well as several returns to Germany, with Liverpool appearing to be slow to offer him a new deal.

However, Hamann has now agreed on a new one-year deal at Anfield, with Rafa Benitez having the option of a further year after that.

"Once Liverpool made me an offer, there was only one place I wanted to play my football," Hamann told the Liverpool Echo.

"I always said the first club I would speak to about my future was Liverpool because I wanted to stay.

"The gaffer said we would wait until after the final before we had a meeting and that's what we did. We came to an agreement instantly. I'll be here next season and hopefully for the next two years.

"I'm delighted the manager wanted to keep me. I read a lot about other clubs being interested, but I couldn't imagine playing for any club in England."

Hamann's commitment could not be questioned after he played the latter part of the Champions League final with a broken bone in his foot - even scoring one of the crucial penalties in the process.

The former Newcastle and Bayern Munich man has won every club honour during his time with Liverpool, apart from The Premiership, and he believes he has a chance to complete his set of medals.

"It's going to be hard to challenge for the title in the next two seasons, but let's give it a go. The Premiership is the only club competition I haven't won since I joined Liverpool. I'm desperate for us to do it.

"The manager has achieved great things already by winning the Champions League and I know he's planning to bring in new players for next season.

"If we can settle quickly and everyone starts working together tactically early on, who knows what can happen?

"Maybe we can surprise the top three. It's going to be tough to do that, but I think we'll improve a lot."

Although Hamann is staying at Anfield, it seems as though Igor Biscan is on his way out of the club despite his remarkable upturn in form last season.

The Croatian was reborn under Benitez, especially in Europe, but it seems he has not done enough to earn a new contract and will have to look for a new club.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion