Oh no! - Were linked with zenden.....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:31 pm

At times he is static and maybe not as sharp as the top pure left midfielders but he runs all over the wing even on empty tank. Not to mention his shooting... you already did.

He's a good versatile player to have in your squad but he isn't the pernament solution for the left wing and its one position where we must improve on.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:17 pm

Dont agree with you Stu - he's been much more effective as a midfielder, especially this season. Granted he's no tricky winger, but he can get past people, and his crossing and shooting are plenty good enough. And we aren't going to be signing Robben, or even Downing are we?

Isn't that what i'm saying?

He's been effective... but thats not what his attributes are suited to. He is a left back, he defends aswell as most fullbacks in the league. The problem is at left back he doesn't make the most of his other attritbutes, Benitez needs to get this out of him and get him to use his other great attributes more from the left back position then he'd be ideal.

In the team that Houllier wanted to build he clearly wanted that from Riise and had a player that was capable of doing what he wanted. He also wanted the same from Babbel but we all know what happened there.

Riise has the ability to be a superb player and this season he's started to show it. Now he needs to move into his best position and show it from there.

Riise's problem is that ideally he is a wing-back, not a full back or a winger.  It is hard for him to fit into a system with 4 at the back.  I don't think he's solid enough defensively to be an out and out full back, but he isnt skilfull enough to be an out and out winger either. 

He is, however, an ok crosser of the ball, has a lethal shot and gets into good scoring positions with well-timed forward runs.  His versatility means he's a valuable player to have in the squad and I'd definitely keep him.

He had a good season at left mid but we need someone better there for next next season

Agree but disagree. He's alot better defensively now than people give him credit for. He marked Wright-(overated)Phillips out of the game at anfield this season and has saved Traore's :censored: more than once in the cl. He's no Maldini, but Heinze and Cole apart, theres nothin even close in england to him.
115-1073096938

Postby Paul C » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:13 pm

I like Riise in left midfield cos he likes to get forward and either shoot or get in the box, don't get me wrong he is a good left back but I just prefer him in midfield and try to bring Warnock into the starting 11 cos he has potential but just lacks experience at LFC's level.

Regards Zenden I liked him at Barca a few years ago, I dunno about now but he looked good when we play Boro in the cup at home ???
Last edited by Paul C on Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:40 pm

i'd taken him as a squad player but nothing more....would be a handy player to have.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 116-1104673748 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:07 am

To me,Zenden is more defensive.Its good.Traore can't cover everything by himself.
116-1104673748

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion