Prso backs the reds

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:24 pm

From UEFA.com

Pršo backs rampant Reds
Monday, 25 April 2005
By Alex O'Henley

Dado Pršo is backing Liverpool FC to see off the challenge of Chelsea FC in the semi-finals of the UEFA Champions League and emulate his former club AS Monaco FC by reaching this year's final in Istanbul on May 25.

Beaten finalist
The Rangers FC forward scored six goals during Monaco's march to the final last season, including four in one match against RC Deportivo La Coruña, and the Croatian sees similarities between his experience of 2004 and Liverpool's successful run in this season's competition.

Inconsistent form
Speaking to uefa.com, Pršo said: "Like Liverpool, Monaco weren't playing that consistently in their domestic league last season but when it came to the Champions League we always seemed to find our best form, apart from the final obviously when we lost 3-0 to [FC] Porto. But Liverpool showed against Juventus [FC] that they have the players and the system to succeed in the Champions League and I think they have a good chance of going through."

Underdog status
Pršo knows what it takes to succeed against the Stamford Bridge club having scored the opening goal in the first leg of last year's semi-final which Monaco went on to win 5-3 on aggregate. Although Fernando Morientes, who was also on the scoresheet that night, is cup-tied having played for Real Madrid CF in the group stages, Pršo still thinks Liverpool have enough quality to cause an upset and could profit from being underdogs just as Chelsea did in last season's quarter-final against Arsenal FC.

Nothing to lose
"It is very similar to last season when Arsenal played Chelsea," he added. "Everyone expected Arsenal to win because they always won against Chelsea, but they didn't and the same could happen this season. Chelsea always win against Liverpool, but Liverpool are getting stronger with each game. Players like [Djibril] Cissé and [Xabi] Alonso are coming back into the team and the pressure is all on Chelsea. Liverpool don't have anything to lose and I think they have a great chance."

French sides
The 30-year-old striker kept a close eye on the French clubs in this season's competition and while Pršo was not surprised to see Monaco falter at the first knockout stage, he was disappointed that Olympique Lyonnais did not progress to the semi-finals.

Monaco influx
"Expectation was very high and that made it harder for Monaco," he explained. "Last season no one expected us to get to the final - this year everyone thought a semi-final place was already in their pocket. But what they have to remember is that a lot of new players came in and it has taken them time to settle just as I had to do here at Rangers.

Connoisseur's football
"I was very impressed by Lyon," he added. "They have an excellent coach in Paul Le Guen. To score so many goals and not progress to the semi-finals is a real shame for them but also for the competition because they play very attractive football and are a good team to watch."

Milan tip
As for the other semi-final, Pršo predicts a close encounter between AC Milan and PSV Eindhoven although he makes the Rossoneri favourites to progress and lift Europe's elite tournament for a seventh time.

Winners again
"I don't think Milan will be going into this tie against PSV thinking it will be easy," he said. "However, Milan are a strong side from back to front and if they play as they can they are the favourites for sure - and if they get to the final I think they will win it again."

Let's hope that praises from other players/managers and media in general doesn't go to our heads, it seems that when we are written off we're fired up and I'll like that to stay that way.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby L-type » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:24 am

yeah, the media's started figuring it out, and now are calling us heros :D   They just can never do good can they !!  But even Mourinho has come out of the closet saying he repects liverpool, and loves benitez.  But then again it's IT'S ALL A CONSPIRACY (according to Fergie)  But I think we don't need criticism anymore to fire us up.  We have the confidence and will to succeed in Europe where we may have been found wanting in the Premiership, and everyone is ready to make a snatch and grab for the trophy, while there is no tangible evidence for our limited success in the premiership.
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:24 am

Hardly praise that a two bit overweight long haired excuse for a striker from some far flung Eastern Bloc country lends his support to our cause.

I would much rather have everyone writing us off.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:31 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:Hardly praise that a two bit overweight long haired excuse for a striker from some far flung Eastern Bloc country lends his support to our cause.

I would much rather have everyone writing us off.

I agree, we seem to be at our best when written off.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:59 pm

Croatia wasn't in the Eastern Block Leon. Yugoslavia was non-alligned.

Bad haircut though.

My gf went to Croatia on holidays last year and brought me back a Dado Prso jersey. :laugh:
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby simic_ie » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:22 pm

I think if we get a result in London we could unsettle Chelsea. By result I mean a draw, or a narrow loss scoring an away goal. I think with the press floating around about us now saying we always raise our game for the Champs League it could be in the back of their heads when we get em back to Anfield
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:26 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:My gf went to Croatia on holidays last year and brought me back a Dado Prso jersey. :laugh:

Your girl has bad taste JBG  :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:33 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:
John Barnes' Granny wrote:My gf went to Croatia on holidays last year and brought me back a Dado Prso jersey. :laugh:

Your girl has bad taste JBG  :D

Next he'll be saying that he's been appointed the new moderator of the Rangers forum
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:33 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Croatia wasn't in the Eastern Block Leon. Yugoslavia was non-alligned.

Bad haircut though.

I flunked Geography !

Whats wrong with me new do' ???

JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:57 pm

Where is that hand coming from? :laugh:
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby hawkmoon269 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:00 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Where is that hand coming from? :laugh:

Looks like leon has a bad case of cramp
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:01 pm

I'd happily sit here and hear us get called underdogs all day long, it plays to our strengths and fires up the lads

As for haircuts? Hmmm...  put it this way, I'm a bit more Igor Biscan than Michael Bolton :D
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:14 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
John Barnes' Granny wrote:Croatia wasn't in the Eastern Block Leon. Yugoslavia was non-alligned.

Bad haircut though.

I flunked Geography !

Whats wrong with me new do' ???

Thats you?
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion