We can't win, so lets change the rules - Scum call for european revamp

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LiverpoolFan00 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:26 am

Its complete and utter Sh*te Man U have no claim to being one of the biggest clubs in Europe at the moment. They fluked the cup a few years ago and now think they are gods gift to football. Bullsh*t. Seeding is a load of Rubbish. If you are good enough you will get through simple as that. No point whinging cos you got knocked out early. Typical Manure blaming everyone but themselves that they got knocked out. It couldn't possibly be cos they aren't GOOD ENOUGH
Some people think football is a matter of life or death but it's far more important than that. - Bill Shankley

A Well Balanced Soccer Player Has A Beer In Each Hand!
LiverpoolFan00
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KennyisGod....still » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:37 am

I never understand why any sport (apart from the financial side of ticket sales) seeds teams/players for a knockout competition. Surely the word knockout says it all....you win you stay in, lose - youre knocked out??? Same as the last 8/last 4 bein drawn same day...who needs to know who they could be playin next round should they win this one? Dunno bout anyone else, I still find the old European Cup format more exciting, and usually more exciting to watch too. Not jus cuz we won it four times, but because straight knockouts over two legs put everythin on the line, instead of tactical draws, restin players and lookin three games in advance to see where important group points could be won. It'll never return to that, too much money involved now, times move on, but it dont mean everythin improves.
I reckon that rule will come in tho, and it'd be intrestin on what grounds teams get seeded. Maybe the same as Internationals..... Aint it the last 4 years or 4 tournaments at World Cup and Euro Championships or somethin? I dont take much interest in seedins when Scotland struggle to make 4th grade!! I jus spend my time dreamin of reachin that knockout stage and takin on the big guns....jus like Cup competitions should be.
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the great one » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:51 am

Uefa: Gill idea a joke

Uefa have laughed off calls to restructure the format of the UEFA Champions League by introducing a seedings system for the knockout rounds.
Manchester United chief executive David Gill and Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger have been leading the clamour to alter the competition.
Gill and Wenger had voiced their concern that too many big clubs were falling by the wayside at the first knockout round, a fate which has befallen both United and Arsenal this season.
United supremo Gill had suggested that Uefa should introduce a tennis-style system whereby the top ranked team would play the lowest ranked team in the last 16 and so on.
But Uefa have rubbished any notion of changing the present format, with the element of surprise and fair play behind their dismissal of the suggestions.
"Uefa are always willing to listen to what clubs have to say but David Gill's plans would turn the competition into a bit of a joke," said Uefa's director of communications William Gaillard.
"The idea of seeding clubs beyond the group stages goes beyond all principles of a sporting event.
"Are United saying that they want to turn the Champions League into a static competition where the same clubs reach the latter stages every season?
"If that's the case, supporters and TV companies would lose interest straightaway because the competition would become boring.
"The reason why the Champions League is so lucrative to clubs is because the competition is so exciting and full of surprises.
"Introducing seeding that would keep clubs apart would make it boring and result in totally meaningless fixtures during the group stages.
"If Manchester United had won their group then they would not have been drawn against AC Milan in the knockout stage. Maybe they should consider that."
:D  :D
Last edited by the great one on Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PabloAimar » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:52 pm

y dnt these 'big' teams just win the games n show us how 'big' they are.
we've only won it 5 times
PabloAimar

Postby NYCJuveFan » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:28 pm

Whatever!
Last year Juve didn't reach the final eight (knocked out by Deportivo, a much less "important" team).
We didn't whine and cry. We just admitted that we sucked and tried to build a better team for the next year (as matter of facts, we already did better by getting to the final eight).

And I'm not quite sure Man Utd and Real Madrid would be ranked in the top top teams if we look at their achievements in Europe during last years...
NYCJuveFan

Postby red_guy » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:44 am

ManUre and Arsenal..They just dont have the balls!!  Cowards!!
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:08 am

Mind you, they have a point. If Manure and Madrid do play against teams ranked at opposite ends of the rankings and lose, you can't have that. No sir. My proposal would be that you play the game, but whoever wins obviously it is the higher ranked team who goes through. After all, it's a privilage for the likes of Lyon and Leverkusen to even play at the theatre of dreams. I guess the people at Marketing Manure PLC could put together some commemorative pennant foe these lesser clubs so they could display it thier boardrooms and boast about the proudest day in thier history, "the day we played the great Manchester United".
But you can't have them winning the match canyou? Don't be daft, some are more equal than others. How about, we sort of have a mock competition and then arrive at a last four with the obvious precurser that Madrid and Man U are part of that four, with the little teams competing for the last two slots. Oh and while we're at it, make sure those little teams come from Spain, England or Italy 'cos thats where all the money is.
What do you mean nobody would watch it because it's fixed? And don't believe all that tosh about nobody liking Manure because they're arrogant Fockers either, not a grain of truth in it mate.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby radun5 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:13 pm

This is the most stupid and unfair thing I have read for a long time...

I do believe seeding is important for group stages, otwherwise you have a lot of great teams playing for a few qualifying places - even like that, it's true the system does not work - for the WC qualifications, there are always "easy" groups and "tough" ones - you can immediately figure some examples, I think - still, it could be worse without any seeding.

The point is, there is already a seeding for the knock-out stages: winners of the groups play the runners-up of the groups. Plain and simple. Win your 6 group matches and you will get a lesser team. Rest your players if you please, get only the second place - ok, but face the consequences. It is really simple and fair!

This is a reason to hate the likes of manure and real. Hopefully the world will see this.
radun5

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion