Salary capping - Kewell is a prime example for it

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:06 pm

I happened to stumble across an excellent article over the weekend written by Steve Claridge. I don't know if any of you read it or not? Anyway, he was making a case once again for wage capping in the Premiership, and in the end he convinced me that it may be the way to go, mainly because he used Harry Kewell as a prime example.

The point has raised it's head after Harry allegedly refused to play against Leverkusen because he claimed he was injured again. Rafa was not happy to say the least. The question is, Harry Kewell may be work-shy (the last 18 months prove this) but is it just that he has had so many injuries his body can no longer take the strain of the premiership. Rafa Benitez's comments about one week it being the groin, the next his ankle suggest the club think it's more he won't play than can't play. I wouldn't want to judge Kewell but I've certainly known a few players who have lost the will to play football. Other times it just comes down to a genuine lack of desire. Stan Collymore was one who for all his talent, eventually fell out of love with the game.

It's one of the main reasons why a salary cap of say £10,000 a week could be inforced in the future. It would certainly stop youngsters abusing their wealth and power for a start. It would also make the likes of Kewell more determined to get fit, rather than ambling along, picking up £67,000 a week or whatever his ridiculous wage is.

Bonuses for playing, scoring, winning or keeping a clean sheet could still be as sky-high as they wanted. Players could still pick up £100,000 per week. But the difference is they would have to earn it. Clubs would embrace it to prevent another Leeds United happening. And any player worth his salt should accept it because it rewards their hard work and success. It would be the end of the work-shy football millionare milking the game without giving anything back.

Thoughts?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ciggy » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:11 pm

I read somewhere forget now where it was but Kewells transfer to Liverpool was worth 19 million ???  Is this true ? if so how come so much money?
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ianwillo » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:17 pm

Its a good theory.  The problem is that what about the players who really are not injured??

Ok, what i mean is:

So Xabi Alonso goes in for a challange against Lampard, he ends up with a broken ankle.  So do we cap Alonso's wages because he is going for a challenge and comes out with a real injury?  Is that Alonso's fault??

But i can see what you mean with Kewell, he is lazy.  Everybody who watches him knows that.  he is obviously playing on something because he comes back for the final, then suddenly gets an injury!!  It is blatent that he is acting the goat so who differentiates this "cap". 

The manager??  the board??  The Fans???

Or am i talking ******? :D
ianwillo

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:28 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:I read somewhere forget now where it was but Kewells transfer to Liverpool was worth 19 million ???  Is this true ? if so how come so much money?

Yesterday's Observer someone in another post said.
jonnymac1979

Postby cpc4eva » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:21 am

living in Australia I dont know wat the Kewell situation is and if he is faking it - thats unAustralian looks like he has got a bit of the vidukas at celtic ????   Its a real shame too if that is the case as our Aussie sports persons are renowned for full commitment and not giving up ie Aussie cricket team & lleyton Hewitt in the tennis.  And not to forget my favourite Liverpool player Craig curly hair Johnston.

Anyway i dont want to comment on that stuff casue like i said i dont know whats going on in regards to that.

but the topic is an interesting one regarding salary caps -

in Australia we have the AFL and it has had a salary cap in place for a number of years.  It is most beneficial for the clubs especially the clubs who are not well off financially or dont have as many supporters as the bigger clubs and it has allowed these clubs to survive and keep their heads above water and not get into massive amounts of debt like some of the soccer clubs are in the UK.

Football in Europe / rest of world I understand is a different system and not as simple as our AFL. Their is so many different aspects to the world game which may make a salary cap hard to implement and one thing is for sure the players wont be happy about a salary cap.

Salary caps would be beneficial to the clubs and the game.
cpc4eva

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:39 am

i dont know about salary capping, kewell needs f*cking kneecapping  :angry:
112-1077774096

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:19 am

that would just be another injury for Kewell to complain about! :D
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:28 am

:D
112-1077774096

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:22 pm

Kewell needs a f*cking kick in the ******
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Vitenskapsmann18 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:14 pm

I like Harry, and he has had a lot of injuries, but ?I have to agree, one does wonder at times. I dont like to think negatively though, especially about payers I love. I live in Australia which adores him, and I really hope he isn't faking it - I think he loves football and Liverpool too much to do so anyway. I dont think he would be that sort of person. He loves the game too much.
Matthew Lloyd = klassnaya popka
atebis' all lions fans!
Earth is the home of Football, Rugby is the home of League and Union, St Andrew's is the home of Golf, Lords is the home of Cricket, Melbourne is the home of Footy and my heart is the home for Essendon.
Vitenskapsmann18

Postby Judge » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:10 am

give em 300 quid a week, and tell em they have to turn up 5 days a week

see what happens then :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion