Upson

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Dalglish » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:06 am

Hi Scott. I was simply naming players who others in here have decided aren't good enough for LFc to illustrate a point. Its not my personal opinion on the player.

I just fell members post on this site and treat it like "Football manager" on the Play Station  deciding on a whi,m who is and who isn't good enough often using a dismissive attitude to boot ???
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:13 am

I agree wholeheartedly Ian, and realsie it was not your POV.

We do need top class players that is for sure, but players like Upson are not out of the question in terms of strengthening the squad, I mean who would you rather have Upson or Traore? no contest.

good point on Fabregas and the likes. Some of this clubs best ever players were not household names when they came to the club.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:20 am

Look at my dark horses for a strong season next year (SPURS). They have purchased Dawon and the other lad (Whose names escapes me LOL :D ) for 6 Million, got Carrick playing out of his skin, Defoe, Keane and /or Kanute and /Or Mido up front and King playing solid at the back with arguably Englands best keeper behind him..

I bet most of the fans in here would have pulled their noses up at possibly all of these players yet at the same time oput up with very average players already at the club ???
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:28 am

We need quality, not Upson
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:29 am

if you go outside Chlesea,  Manure and Arsenal and Newcastle.

Here is a list of quality players who wpuld either be starting eleven players for us or decent additions to the sqaud (ie better than what we have at the minute)

Niemi
Jlloyd Samuel
Barry
Angel
Mellberg
Upson
Emerton
Okocha
Rommedahl
Johnson
Routledge
Cahill
Malbranque
Boa Morte
Distin
SWP
Mendieta
Hasselbaink
Downing
Yakubu
Robinson
Defoe
Keane
King
Carrick
Fowler

before some1 shouts me down, I am not suggesting buying these layers as obviously we have many striers for one and don't really need the likes of Fowler or Robbie Keane
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:29 am

Dalglish wrote:Look at my dark horses for a strong season next year (SPURS). They have purchased Dawon and the other lad (Whose names escapes me LOL :D ) for 6 Million, got Carrick playing out of his skin, Defoe, Keane and /or Kanute and /Or Mido up front and King playing solid at the back with arguably Englands best keeper behind him..

I bet most of the fans in here would have pulled their noses up at possibly all of these players yet at the same time oput up with very average players already at the club ???

Andy Reid.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:30 am

I stand corrected Sir Scott :D

Off to bed lad, catch ya laters :)
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:32 am

chiggz_likes_owen wrote:We need quality, not Upson

excellent contribution there.  :D

face it chiggz, we have the likes of Traore and Josmei getting games regulary and you wouldn't take Upson as a addition to the sqaud?

Not suggesting he's a permanent solution, If i were to go for any centre-half in the league that we could proably get it would be Boumsong or King.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:29 pm

The Upson link was started in the Sunday Mirror but has also appeared in a few of the others during the week.

I agree that everyone is a bit quick off the mark to dismiss the idea. I haven't seen that much of the lad but from what i have seen he's big, strong, mobile, quicker than what we have and improving all the time. Can any of the season ticket holders shed some light on how well he played against us this season? He couldn't have done too bad considering we couldn't score in either game.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolFan00 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:52 pm

I think Upson would be a good addition to the squad. He is a good player and getting better all the time. He would be an improvement on Hyppia. We are not in a position at the moment to get the absolute best which i know is what we all want but need to be realistic
Some people think football is a matter of life or death but it's far more important than that. - Bill Shankley

A Well Balanced Soccer Player Has A Beer In Each Hand!
LiverpoolFan00
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Nando » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:05 pm

LiverpoolFan00 wrote:I think Upson would be a good addition to the squad.

exactly what i said in my post, he would be a very useful addition to the squad, our 1st team is great but we have always lacked strength in depth and he would certainly provide that, if im not mistaken im sure he can be employed at left back too as a last last last last last resort
Nando
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:08 am

i`m not convinced by him, i dont think he`s particulary quick either, which seems to be what most people are looking for.
i dont think our defence is as bad as people are making out, compared to the days when we had tanner, kvarme and piechnick its superb at the moment. pace isnt always the answer - at the moment a lot of evertonians want stubbs in instead of yobo because they prefer the stability of stubbs to the outright pace of yobo. a lot of the defenders in italy at the moment are nearing 40 but are still effective because playing as a unit is the most important thing when defending.
i remember the dark days before sami, when every time the opposition got a corner or free kick around the box our hearts where in our mouths.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby LiverpoolFan00 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:21 am

I remember those days too but time moves on and it is time for a change. Sami is stilll a decent defender but not at the same level he was a few years ago.
Some people think football is a matter of life or death but it's far more important than that. - Bill Shankley

A Well Balanced Soccer Player Has A Beer In Each Hand!
LiverpoolFan00
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the return of HAS » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:37 pm

Nothing concreate here, and Im sure it just a rumor in order for him to improve his position during contract negotiations.

Anyway, I don't think he is that good anyway, yeah he is strong and good in the air but he is average on the ball and has average pace.

If we are to buy a centre back he has to have genuine recovery pace.
"We’ve got a lot of Cockneys in the team, but really, it doesn’t matter where they’re from – we’re all playing for Liverpool.” Robbie Fowler
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion