Negative tactics - Destroying the beautiful game

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:33 pm

what do the following games all have in common? ???

newcastle-liverpool
aston villa-middlesbrough
everton-blackburn
manchester city-bolton

i'll tell you what they have in common. they were all absolutely garbage games to watch. why you may ask? i'll tell you why. because every week i am seeing more and more managers in the premiership putting out such negative sides that it's killing the game as a spectacle.

this is the beautiful game. it's a simple game which is made complicated by idiots. it is no longer the game we all love. the top majority of managers outside the top three no longer send out teams to win games, they send out teams not to get beat, and it's so negative it's untrue.

i know we had a lot of injuries on saturday but there have been several instances this season when we have played 4-5-1, even at home. aston villa and boro both played 4-5-1 at the weekend. the result was one of the worst premiership games of all time. everton and blackburn both played 4-5-1. it was like watching paint dry. bolton play the same system aswell.

nobody has ever won anything playing a 4-5-1 system. all the successful teams of the past have played the conventional 4-4-2. teams also need to change their attitudes if the premiership is to regain it's tag as "the most exciting league in the world".

thoughts please? ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:07 pm

i got to agree with u st mike of sponge.
i still say our problem was the injuries. when 4 out of 5 strikers are injured its difficult. we had out: pongolle, mellor, cisse, morientez.
Ok, we maybe should have played garcia up front with baros or maybe kewell but i still say that the fact remains that we would play 442 if we could.

You could tell that with us as even when we went 1-0 down against the geordies there wasnt much we could do, and not much on the bench to help us.

With otehr teams tho u r completely right, the games are becoming stale and boring and something needs to be done. its the money that is doing it, people are too scared now to take risks which is why u should see the games involving the bottom 4 teams being the best...should do anyways.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:33 pm

Its probably cus all those teams you mentioned are mediocre.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the return of HAS » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:12 pm

stmichael wrote:nobody has ever won anything playing a 4-5-1 system. all the successful teams of the past have played the conventional 4-4-2. teams also need to change their attitudes if the premiership is to regain it's tag as "the most exciting league in the world".

thoughts please? ???

Arsenal have played a 4-5-1 system for ages.

Sysyems and formations really should be used when defending, when attacking it should be a bit more 'Free'.

It is just about mentallty, even with a 4-4-2 you can be defensive and boring, look at Houllier.
"We’ve got a lot of Cockneys in the team, but really, it doesn’t matter where they’re from – we’re all playing for Liverpool.” Robbie Fowler
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:38 pm

why concern about the quality of spectacle when their job are to go out and use the best tactic for the good of the team?
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:46 pm

MilitiaRusher wrote:why concern about the quality of spectacle when their job are to go out and use the best tactic for the good of the team?

because as a fan i pay my money to be entertained by what i see on the field. i agree that winning is the most important thing but i want to see good attacking football.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Judge » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:49 pm

the return of HAS wrote:Arsenal have played a 4-5-1 system for ages

Arsenal's 4-5-1 system is a cleverly disguised 4-4-1-1

didnt you notice that??
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:51 pm

The Return of the Judge wrote:

didnt you notice that??

exactly judge. that's why i didn't say anything. as a matter of fact, arsenal don't even play with any out and out strikers.
Last edited by stmichael on Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Judge » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:53 pm

HAS, have you been reading 4-4-2 mag or striker comics??
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the return of HAS » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:43 am

The Return of the Judge wrote:

didnt you notice that??

When Arsenal lose the ball their system turns into a 4-6-0 or a 4-5-1, and when they have the ball they don't really have a formation and that makes them diffucult to defend against.

That's all I was trying to say.
"We’ve got a lot of Cockneys in the team, but really, it doesn’t matter where they’re from – we’re all playing for Liverpool.” Robbie Fowler
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion