How strict?

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby Gareth G » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:12 am

I was talking to a mate about the state of Irish league football earlier and the main thing in the conversation was smoking. The Irish league is Semi Pro so obviously the clubs wont be as strict, but i was just wondering how strict Premier league clubs are on this and do any of our players smoke?

Sorry if its a bit of a sh*te topic, im just curious...
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:02 am

I honestly don't know. But, on a related topic, I remember being in Spain one summer and Marca was running a shock, horror story which had pictures of Ronaldo and Steve McManaman smoking, drinking and looking a bit podgy by the side of a pool. Apparently they were subsiquently fined although I cannot confirm this. My guess would be that if Smoking was a finable offence in Spain, it would be just as strict, if not stricter in England.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stapo1000 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:55 am

KOP-1892 wrote:I was talking to a mate about the state of Irish league football earlier and the main thing in the conversation was smoking. The Irish league is Semi Pro so obviously the clubs wont be as strict, but i was just wondering how strict Premier league clubs are on this and do any of our players smoke?

Sorry if its a bit of a sh*te topic, im just curious...

i know a lot of players who play for my local club ( they are in the eircom first division which is the 2nd highest division). The home games are sponsored by local pubs and afterwards most of the players will meet at whatever the venue is. Not 1 player on the team smokes as they would be sacked if they did. however, most but not all of the players drink at least a bit(if not heavily) and it is easy to see that the best players are those who drink the least. the coaching staff are not strict on this as most of them drink too.as for the rest of the league, i'd say it depends on the club
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:08 am

I know for a fact that Didi Hamman smokes, and I remember David Ginola smoking a few years ago in a bar in Town.

I do not think it is banned, just frowned upon.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:06 am

Fabian Barthez is a known smoker of 20 a day, Johan Cruff was allegedly a 40- 60 a day man!
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:03 pm

I know for a fact that Barthez and Fowler smoke, infact Barthez smokes pot for fact
Last edited by chiggz_likes_owen on Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Premiership - General Discussion