Carling cup final - Respect is earned not bought !

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Dalglish » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:46 am

Just got home from the game and wanted to throw my observations from the game into the debate......

1. We have to accept that one of two things happened today, EITHER we scored too early OR after scoring we decided to defend the 18 yard line.

2. Tactically Benitez got it wrong. Playing a 5 man midfield which concedes possession as easily as the team did today is asking for trouble. As far as I can recall we have never won a  game this season playing a 5 man midfield ?

3. IMO the best team won and at times today, although the defence were magnificant we were being ouplayed but not outfought. Chelsea however were quicker to the second ball, their passing was crisper and they posed a greater threat.

4. The "Turning point" of the game was NOT the Gerrard OG but the Gerrrard miss when it looked easier to score. Gerrard is possibly another thread altogether but for whatever reason he didn't look the part today and was way short of a player of his ability.

5. The Fans were as usual magnificant today and it made me feel proud once again to be associated with this great club. We sang or heads off for 120 minutes and the plethora of flags and banners was a sight to behold ..........

Its the first defeat in a Cup Final since 96 and we have had better days but we live to fight another day.........

Walk on ...........
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:52 am

Well said Ian.

We have won games before with the 4-5-1 formation, one of them being against Arsenal.

The early goal was a double edge sword, it gave us the lead but  we then took the foot of the gas.

I don't think Rafa got the tactics wrong, we used the 4-5-1 formation against them the previous time and we outplayed them. However we didn't take our chances last time that we had, and Alonso being injured took our edge.

This time Gerrard being annonymous made our midfield weak.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Dalglish » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:04 am

Hamann was impressive today.

Garcia saw a lot of ball and gave a lot away too ???

Biscan was fine :)

Rise was one of our better players but didn't see the ball as much as darling boy Garicia !   

Nunez was a surprise :D

Kewell looked interested which is a step in the right direction !

Gerrard was pedestrain and poor, lacked inventiveness and leadership which you expect from your captain. For the record i've never recognized Stevie as captain as anyone who actually watches the games can see it's Carragher that the other players look to for leadership. Didn't sp[ot Carra on his A.RSE after the game did you with head sunk ? ???

The whole Gerrard situation neeeds to be addressed but privately the deals as good as done IMO which is fine as players have the right to go play for whichever clkub they choose to . However as long as ANY Liverpool players puts on the shirt O think it's reasonable to expect that player to perform to the best of his ability in a  professional manner. I suspect with gerrard we aren't getting that and whilst i don't wish to start a vendetta against the guy it upsets me to see the captain of LFC play like he's already on his way ???
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:07 am

1. I think Morientes should have stayed on when Baros came on, therefore reverting to a 4-4-2. Morientes ewas isolated up front and saw very little of the ball as a result. We invited too much pressure and the equaliser ewas inevitable. Having said that, had Hamann's shot gone in at 1-0 we would probaly be celebrating 2night.

2. I thought the 4-5-1 was ok to start with, having taken the lead, but at HT I think we should have reverted to a 4-4-2 as Chelsea were starting to dominate.

3. Agree on 3, Lampard bossed the midfield as Gerrard was non existant. Morientes did not see neough ball as we couldnm't keep possesion for long enough and didn't really string any good passing moves together in the 2nd half.

4. talked enough about Gerrard, I also mentioned the Cech save off Hamann as a key moment. Their were laso the Baros and Biscan chances at 1-1.

5. No doubt who the better fans are and always will be hwn it comes to Liverpool and Chelski.

RESPECT IS EARNED, NOT BOUGHT!
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:37 am

Everyone plays well , but luck is not on our side .
LiverpoolMadman

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:45 am

LiverpoolMadman wrote:Everyone plays well , but luck is not on our side .

don't be naive, Gerrard was anonymous and Garcia although making a good start gifted possesion away far too much.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion