One competition we never won. - World championship

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Big Niall » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:11 am

The only trophy I think that we have never won is the world championship. It used to be a one off game with south american champions but I think the world championship competition which was tried in 2000 should be done again, albeit no initations, based on merit.

Start off with the four winners of Europe, South America, Asia, Africa. Some of the champions which don't really fit into any of these four continents could play off for a last four spot. If this catches on then maybe expand it.

I know people will say rubbish but remember Britain didn't think much of the world cup in 1930 (took 20 years) or the European cup (for clubs) when that started.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:42 am

the new world club cup competition will be played in 2005 and will feature one team from each of the six confederations, Europe, North America, South America, Oceania, Africa and Asia
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby JBG » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:51 am

We have never won the Cup Winners Cup either and that is a major blot on our record.  :D

I say they bring back the Cup Winners Cup so we can have a crack at getting the clean sweep.

The Intercontinental cup or whatever its called is still around. Porto won it last December. We have never won it, and if truth be told, we got a few hidings in it over the years.  :blush:
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Starbridge42 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:57 am

The intercontinental cup as u no it no longer exists.  Porto v Once Caldas last december was the final time that that competition will be played.  It was first played back in the 50's when Real Madrid won it 5-1 on aggregate back in the days when it was played over two legs.  Liverpool was also the first team ever to withdraw from the competition, the year after winning their first European cup, FC Bayer followed  suite a few years later.
But neways what ur thinkg of JBG no longer exists actually
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby Big Niall » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:07 pm

I think LFC withdrew as back then the south americans really kicked you off the pitch.

I didn't see much of the tournament in 2000 but am looking forward to this years. Hopefully it will be on merit and not invitation. Hopefully on terestial tv too.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:12 pm

Ive got a Paisley book written in 1984 and he gives some good insight into this.

He wasnt that bothered unless they staged it properly what with the distances of travel and poor organisation.

Interestingly he wasnt a fan of the Charity Shield either saying it was too big an occasion for the first game of the season and players got too wound up by it
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:24 pm

i seem to remember getting out of bed in the early hours years ago to watch us get beaten 3-0 by flaminco or independiente or someone. the whole match was broadcast live back in the days when only cup finals and world cups where shown live. the match was played in tokyo i remember that much.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby Big Niall » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:57 pm

I think it was Flemengo , I read that Zico (the first player I was dazzled by) was on top form that game and ran the match.

anyone know is south american clubs are much good or have all their top players gone to Italy, Spain, Middlesborough :)
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:14 pm

Did we not win it in 1984?
jonnymac1979

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion