Bruno cheyrou and steve finnan - Bit of praise

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby greenred » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:38 am

Dalglish wrote:you lot will be sayinG GH is doing a  decent job next, fickle bunch aren't we :P

not that bleeding fickle :D
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leothelion » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:21 am

GREAT POTENTIAL FOR BOTH PLAYERS THERE WORTH GIVING A CHANCE SEEN AS NEITHER OF THEM HAVE PLAYED A LOT OF GAMES IN A ROW SO I'LL GIVE THEM A CHANCE TO PROVE THEMSELVES
ALWAYS LIKED FINNAN AND THINK CHEYROU COULD BE GOOD LETS SEE IF OUR MANAGER CAN GET THE MOST OUT OF THEM
YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
"MEMBER OF BEAVIS CREW"
leothelion
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby truered » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:34 am

hey i remember last week i made a comment on Bruno he is a really classy player . Houlier is a good spoter of talent on matter what people say hes problem is making the players fit into the team.Yesterday i was watching senegal vs Buknia faso the two liverpool players looked a class act Diao was anchering the mid like the way Viera does it for Arsenal and Diofs touch was deadly,even though the game ended in a draw the two players were a class act.What in trying to say is that the system is the one thats f##ked up not the players i think that the team is complete and all we need is to adopt a good system of play.
truered

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:36 pm

Before the game at Newcastle I saw two dangers for us. One was Dyer pace against Hyypia and Henchoz, the Second was there left hand side, Bernard and Robert work well together and both attack, I was worried that Finnan may not get the protection he needs, I thought Cheyrou may drift in to the centre to often and not protect Finnan.

First of all Hyypia and Henchoz were superb against Dyer, and I was very Impressed by the way Cheyrou helped Finnan out defensively.

If you look at my previous comments you will find that I have always shown belief in Cheyrou unlike many others who have now changed there opinion.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:14 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Yeah but you are clearly missing the point. He got the ball, played it to Owen, got it back, played a great ball to play Heskey through on goal... Given makes a good save and the ball comes out to him.

I would hope Cheyrou would have touched the ball occaisionally, that is why he is on the pitch but the crucial aspect of the goal was Given get tangled up with his own defender. Trying to credit Cheyrou for making the goal is laughable, it probably wouldn't have ended in a goal but for the tangle
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:16 pm

Dalglish wrote:Like the "from Zero to Hero" thread on Cheyrou as well, you lot will be sayinG GH is doing a  decent job next, fickle bunch aren't we :P

I have no problem with people praising a player on his performance in one match but I do feel people get carried away and read too much into it.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby coops » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:23 pm

I think this post is totally ridiculous. How you can start harping on about a player being world class after a few games is beyond me.

After a MINIMUM of one full season I will make my decision on Cheyrou. All I know is, he has been with us 18 months and been s##t. So how can 4 decent games carry weight over that? It doesn't, he's still s##t until he shows some consistent form and convinces me it's not just a flash in the pan.
coops

Postby Scottbot » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:52 pm

I have no doubt that Cheyrou is a good player. He looks to be skillfull, has a nice touch and is an intelligent player. Sure everyone has been on his back for the last season and a half but when you spend 4 million on a player the fans expexct some instant return on the investment.
I think Houllier has bought some good players in his time. Unfortunately, good players does not equal a good team. It is up to the manager to get the players to play the way HE wants them to play. GH wants(ed) Liverpool to play more expansive, prettier more attacking stuff this season. I do not think he knows how to coach a team to play this way consistently. Now we are quote "getting back to basics" and injured players are coming back i expect things will improve.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dom1 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:37 pm

kopper wrote:Dom1 you absolutely spot on m8.
Opinions change like the wind. Only a week ago everyone was saying Cheyrou was cr#p, now the general concensous is that he is gr8.....that is until he starts underperforming again.
I always said he needs a good run in the team, and I also believe that he is quality, but I dont think he's there yet, I dont think he'll maitain form like this every week.
And than opinions will change again!
Don't get too exited when he performs well and dont be too critical when he doesn't, not for a season or two at least. The same goes for all the 'young guns', including Diouf, Le Tallec and Pongolle.....Just a thought.

thanx for the support mate!!

i can't add anything to what you have just said your absolutely correct mate.

and it is not only liverpool (obviously) it happens at every team aswell!!

Dom1  :D
when you're 4-0 up..
you should never lose 7-1
Dom1

Postby kopper » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:37 pm

Ta m8, No Prob. :)
Interviewer:       'Would it be fair to describe you as a volatile player?'
David Beckham: 'Well, I can play in the centre on the right and occasionally on the left side.' (Man U)
kopper
LFC Super Member

Postby whylongball? » Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:34 pm

coops wrote:I think this post is totally ridiculous. How you can start harping on about a player being world class after a few games is beyond me.

After a MINIMUM of one full season I will make my decision on Cheyrou. All I know is, he has been with us 18 months and been s##t. So how can 4 decent games carry weight over that? It doesn't, he's still s##t until he shows some consistent form and convinces me it's not just a flash in the pan.

agree!! but i would want to see him perform well over 2 seasons to make decision ;) Consistancy is the key isn't it?
whylongball?

Postby big al » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:53 pm

Firstly Cheyrou,  Some time a go JBG wrote a post that looked at every current Liverpool player. It gave a critcal but fair appraisal of all the players not even Biscan was looked on as being without potential(I disagree).

Anyway JBG pointed to Cheyrou prior to coming to Liverpool as being one of the outstanding future talents in French football.  Many experts and pundits said Cheyrou was the next Zidane.  I watched the guy on television a number of occasions and agreed with that analysis.  He arrived a Liverpool and was a fish out of water.  The settling in period kicked in, he needed time to adapt to British football. 

After a while he started to get his chance and failed to live up to the promise.  Many of the ficklebugger fans said he was rubbish and to be fair he was.  But others especially the more knowledgeable fans in this forum laid the blame fairly at the door of Houllier.  Many said that Houllier had went and bought excellent players but had'nt got the wit to use them properly. 

Similar claims were made regarding Heskey, Diouf, Diao, Carragher,Smicer, Biscan, Vignal, Babble, Xavier, Seige, Traore, Riise, Murphy, Partridge,Fowler,Litmanen,Riedler, Dundee, Diomede etc In fact two thirds of the current and former players had all acheived some expert plaudits before arriving at Houlliers Liverpool and many had established themselves as proven international and world class players prior to joining.
At the time of signing how many of you said yes! finally.  I remember the talk of Diao and Diouf prior to the World cup.

Who?  was my initial words then when I watched them Yes I declared finally the missing pieces of the jigsaw.  I had long had my doubts about Houllier but concede that I thought he'd got it right. 

At one time and another I've watched all these guys and considered them to be excellent (with the exception of Biscan).  They arrive at liverpool and aclimatisation apart they are cr#p. 

Carragher gets the left back role due to injuryand for two seasons he becomes for me one of the best left backs about(I've explained why I think that in many other threads) Anyway watching all these guys play for their county how many of you can honestly say that you would'nt have signed them(except Biscan)

So what is my point?  Simply this all the above in terms of talent are on a level Houllier never personaly reached this makes him suseptable to making hugh mistakes when playing a system.  A player who plays the games or has played can instinctively see where each style belongs.  It is like a jigsaw, evryone knows thatit's easier to start with the corners and then the edges and work inwards, Houlliers has been gettinthe right peices alright but he dosent have the experience or the ability to put them where they belong and in with Biscan thats simply in a completely different Jigsaw.  Just watch the African nations games and look at the preformances of Diao and Diouf why can't they play that way for Liverpool one word HOULLIER!
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby DAV » Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:03 pm

I'll tell u what i think at the end of next season.
When he has performed well on a regular basis
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:59 pm

Well said, Big Al.

Cheyrou's recent form has been exciting, and maybe this is the start of something good for him.

However, he has a long way to go yet.

Finnan looks like he'll do well for us, but he hasn't done much yet. I hope we'll see the best of him between now and the end of the season. :)
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby big al » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:43 pm

I personally like Finnan But that ***** hole stu is misquoting me in other threads.  Like its not enough now to talk s##t himself he wants to try and talk s##t on my behalf! ??? ??? ??? ???
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion