The red core - Who are the essential players

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Redrider » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:47 pm

As we approach the January window and the opportunity to go shopping for new players, with the possibility of a 'Financial Injection'. The obvious question arises of who we should buy both now and in August comes to the fore.
However, from Rafa's point of view he must be looking at his squad and starting from the perspective of who are his core players, who he would like to build his squad around for the forseeable future, those who do not need replacing for at least two seasons :
                         Carragher
                         Hamman
                         Alonso
                         Gerrard
                         Kewell
                         Garcia
                         Baros
Any Others ?
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby 100-1102639321 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:50 pm

prehaps riise, also remember semi and welsh.  i think warnock will come good for liverpool soon
100-1102639321

Postby Redrider » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:11 pm

Riise, has peaked and the quality of his play is declining. He will be sold as soon as we have settled left hand side. The others are only prospects to make the squad, they cannot be cosidered as the core yet.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:20 pm

id add whitbread, but not for a couple of years maybe...a d lets not discount cisse to quickly, and lets hope he comes back strong
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:24 pm

Hypia still good for another season or two, so would just about make it...  and Hamman is probably in the same boat
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Redrider » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:29 pm

You are right, Hyypia should probably be in there.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby The_Rock » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:04 pm

1)Cisse after his ankle gets fixed.
2)Pongolle (need to play striker)
3)La Tellac (Has an awsome 1st touch)

Hopefully :

4)Anelka
5)Vicente
6)SWP
7)Matthew Upson (not sarcastic.... ) :p

And yes, hyppia deserves to be in
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pig Catcher » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:43 pm

Its hard to say at the moment who is going to be the long term core of our team.

Carragher - He has done well but I'm sure that with in the next two years Rafa will bring in 2 first choice centre backs.

Hamman - He's already made noises about going back to germany, and he is ageing.

Alonso - He can definately be part of our long term plans. Class act.

Gerrard - I don't think we will be able to keep him for much longer, he is just too good, and he wants trophys now.

Kewell - He hasn't performed well for some time, and unless he starts too we will buy a new left sided winger.

Garcia - He can be part off our squad for some time.

Baros - He can also be here for a long time.

Kirkland - I still think he can estabish himself as our long term goal keeper for the next 10 years.

So really we haven't got much of a long term core for our first team, after all those years and all that money, Houllier hasn't left us with much.

On the issue of the younger players:

Otsemober - Liverpool have agreed to negotiate a deal with Crewe for his permanent transfer. Rafa obviously dosen't rate him. I am bitterly disapointed, I thought he could establish himself as the first choice right back.

Warnock - He is an averge player, never good enough to be Premership midfielder, but he could be a good left back.

Welsh - I hope to see more of him before making any sort of judgement.

Whitbread - I haven' been that impressed with him, he has been very close to making some huge mistakes. Gets drawn out of position, maybe this is down to inexperience, but he dosen't seem big enough or quick enough.

Pongolle - He needs to play as a striker, I think he will eventually leave in order to find regular football. I will be disapointed as I think he hasn't been given a proper chance to develop.

Le Tallec - I like this player, just like most Liverpool fans, I think he has the potential to become a regular in the first team. I really don't know what Rafa thinks of him so I cant say what will happen.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 100-1102639321 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:54 pm

The_Rock wrote:1)Cisse after his ankle gets fixed.

Hopefully :

4)Anelka
5)Vicente
6)SWP

though cisse broke his leg, looked that way on the replays
100-1102639321

Postby Redrider » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:01 pm

Pig Catcher wrote:So really we haven't got much of a long term core for our first team, after all those years and all that money, Houllier hasn't left us with much.

As I was putting my list together, that was the conclusion I was coming to.
And when we lose Gerrard, it looks even more limited.
On the younger player score, (those who might make the squad) Raven looks like a good prospect as does Le Tallec.

Rock has some interesting selections, with Mathew Upson !!

Both Hamman and Hyppia, should be in although they will both need replacing in 2007.
Sadly, I think that Kirkland will prove to be another nearly man and I have my doubts about his Dad, collecting on his England Bet.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby 100-1102639321 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:16 pm

Redrider wrote:
Pig Catcher wrote:So really we haven't got much of a long term core for our first team, after all those years and all that money, Houllier hasn't left us with much.

As I was putting my list together, that was the conclusion I was coming to.
And when we lose Gerrard, it looks even more limited.
On the younger player score, (those who might make the squad) Raven looks like a good prospect as does Le Tallec.

Rock has some interesting selections, with Mathew Upson !!

Both Hamman and Hyppia, should be in although they will both need replacing in 2007.
Sadly, I think that Kirkland will prove to be another nearly man and I have my doubts about his Dad, collecting on his England Bet.

the sooner we get morgans money the better
100-1102639321

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:31 pm

The_Rock wrote:1)Cisse after his ankle gets fixed.

Hopefully :

4)Anelka
5)Vicente
6)SWP

can't see vicente coming, he is very highly rated and would cost a bomb.

add to that the rocky relationship between Valencia and Rafa that exists i can't see it, although would absolutley love to be proved wrong cos they guy is pure class.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 100-1102639321 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:31 pm

wasnt we meant to be getting ayala or whatever his name was
100-1102639321

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:41 pm

more rumours i suspect, Ayala is at Valencia thogh, so i can't see it - still a class Centre-half though but getting on in years.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion