Come on now pay attention - Read,reply,rant,whine,complain

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:04 pm

Rafael Benitez was able to win the La Liga and the UEFA Cup within 2/3 years. At the time Valencia did not have money for Rafa to buy new players so Rafa ended up using what he had and he was able to get Valencia the title against the likes of two richest clubs in Spain, Barca and Real Madrid.

Why did Benitez leave? Valencia made false promises to the boss therefore Benitez decided to go to the most succesful club in England who have not won the league title in 15 years, Liverpool FC. Why would Benitez take such a job when Houllier left a great mess after him unless Benitez was confident that Liverpool with him could get back to the glory days within a few years.

Benitez knew that he had a huge task at Liverpool when he took the job. He was well aware of the situation that the club was in. Rome was never built in a day and after a few games Benitez was questioned. No matter he continued showing that LFC were able to play good football like they once did. Then hammared by injuries Liverpool FC were officialy written off. It was said that with such injuries Liverpool would crash and burn. Gerrard is the soul of Liverpool and without him Liverpool would be nothing.

But since when did we become a one man club? The Reds wouldn't allow themselves to fall even without players such as Djibril Cisse,Steven Gerrard,Milan Baros,etc... We actually did pretty good considering in the circumstances we were in. A win over Arsenal showed that one can never say never. Nothing is impossible and the manager and the players proved that but even so no team is perfect.

Steven Gerrard said certain things that have put not only himself but the club in a difficult situation. We do not want a replay of what happened with Michael Owen so if Steven Gerrard is going to state that he won't stay unless we accomplish something he himself will have to give 200% in every game. I don't feel sorry for him because he signed the contract with us in the summer, why sign a contract if you are thinking about leaving?

Today's result surely wasn't the bast but we must remember that Benitez and the club aren't on cloud nine at the moment. It is going to be a hell of a ride. Our performance on the road has not been good but at home we are solid. Now things take time and will not happen over night. We all questioned Rafa's decisions today but the man has his reasons and he doesn't hide the truth.

It was shocking that Diao started ahead of Alonso but let's look at it logically. You can not expect players to play 3 games at their best. Now at the begining of the season Benitez said that he was going to use every player available, yes even Diao. He needed fresh legs so he played Diao.

You can not blame the man for players not being able to score when they have the chance.  It is still a long season and you can not expect Everton and Chelsea to play like they have all season. Arsenal played very well in the begining of the season and after a hic-cup at Old Trafford they are slipping. Meanwhile Everton are playing good at the moment but what is going to happen when their players get injured and tired?

I expect Benitez to use a different formation against Portsmouth and I expect different players to be used. This is the team I would use against Portsmouth:

Dudek
Finnan
Hyypia
Carragher
Traore
Hamann
Riise
Gerrard
Alonso
Kewell
Baros

A 4-5-1 formation obiviously with Hamman protecting the back four, Riise and Kewell on the flanks, Gerrard playing a simular role he did against Arsenal, Alonso controlling the passing game and Baros up front.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby kenco » Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:08 pm

get a life!!!!!!!! :p :p
"This club exists to win trophies"...rafa benitez.
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:57 pm

Thats the squad we have to put out at the moment. I would choose the same one.
Last edited by chiggz_likes_owen on Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:28 am

agree with the team against Pompey A.B.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wee_boi888 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:55 am

with that squad, who will be the right winger?
I feel that Gerrard, Alonso and Hamann need to be played in a central role to achieve their full effectiveness.
With that im also assuming Kewell is playing just behind the striker which means Risse will be the left wing...Again, his best place is as the left back IMO
wee_boi888
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:58 am

now i think about it, i would play Riise at left back and Pongolle at RM - Traore on the bench.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:07 am

would disagree with traore & risse. Risse is not a left winger. Its either risse or traore at left back. Would be willing to give nunez a start at right flank. See what he does against a weak portsmouth side.

Dudek
             Finnan    Carra    Hyppia   Risse
             Nunez    Hamann Alonso   Kewell
                                Gerrard
                                 Baros

This is what i would play against portsmouth
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:03 am

Troare is Decent

Dudek
Finnan Hyypia Carra Troare
Kewell Hamann Alonso Riise
              Gerrard
               Baros

Kewell on the righty :) Everyone should agree with my lineup. This is the lineup that will get us somewhere
Last edited by chiggz_likes_owen on Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby polygemus » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:54 pm

Dudek
Finnan
Hyypia
Carragher
Traore
Hamann
Riise
Gerrard
Alonso
Kewell
Baros

I disagree on Traore. While we slightly win a few more headers with him around, his dabbling on the ball, mispasses and inability to venture forward puts a dent in our attack.
Riise & Finnan as fullbacks is still the best option. I do not ever want to c Josemi play again...end
polygemus

Postby banana » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:54 pm

Fair enough A.B. The next game vs. portsmouth is extremely important. We HAVE to win that game. I do not trust Kirkland or Josemi, and I agree with you on the first 11. Let us also be fair to Benitez. He can not afford to play the same players every game. If he does that, we will lose more players to injuries, they will be exhausted and they will not be able to give 100% effort. It is a good thing that Benitez involves the whole squad of players. Competition for places will be tougher and all players know they have a chance to prove their worth. I think this strategy will work out fine as soon as Benitez builds a stronger squad. That is as soon as he gets rid of Houllier's pimps.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby A.B. » Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:20 pm

banana wrote:Fair enough A.B. The next game vs. portsmouth is extremely important. We HAVE to win that game. I do not trust Kirkland or Josemi, and I agree with you on the first 11. Let us also be fair to Benitez. He can not afford to play the same players every game. If he does that, we will lose more players to injuries, they will be exhausted and they will not be able to give 100% effort. It is a good thing that Benitez involves the whole squad of players. Competition for places will be tougher and all players know they have a chance to prove their worth. I think this strategy will work out fine as soon as Benitez builds a stronger squad. That is as soon as he gets rid of Houllier's pimps.

Well said mate.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby L-type » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:02 pm

The_Rock wrote:would disagree with traore & risse. Risse is not a left winger. Its either risse or traore at left back. Would be willing to give nunez a start at right flank. See what he does against a weak portsmouth side.

Dudek
             Finnan    Carra    Hyppia   Risse
             Nunez    Hamann Alonso   Kewell
                                Gerrard
                                 Baros

This is what i would play against portsmouth

I like that, but to see it put into action is unlikely.  I personally don't see Kirkland getting dropped even though Dudek deserves his chance.
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion