How did it start? - Love of liverpool

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kenco » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:54 am

mottman you also omitted the first reserve in the 1965 cup final, which was, chisnall, we signed him from man utd. ???
"This club exists to win trophies"...rafa benitez.
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:01 am

the-stinger wrote:I watched this replay in 84 when I was about 5, and started playing soccer, amazing that another person can be influenced by the same exact goal.

GO THE REDS!!!!!

it's Football, not Soccer (hate the word :angry:)
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sinema » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:40 am

My love affair with the reds began in 1945 when I was 7 years old.  I had two uncles, Andy and Johnnie, who had just returned home from army service after the war. 
Andy was a blue and Johnnie was a red and they would take me to the match on alternate Saturdays, lifting me over the turnstile to get me in for free.  I still remember the brass buttons on their army greatcoats tearing the skin off my legs (young lads always wore short pants in those days).
Anyway, my allegiance to the reds was apparently decided at Goodison where Andy took me to see the blues play Brentford.
Everton won 4-1, and Andy says that the only goal I cheered was Brentford's.
It wasn't that my 'red' uncle treated me any better than my 'blue' uncle, it wasn't that Liverpool were significantly better than Everton at that time, so what made me a Liverpudlian?    Heaven knows.
What I do know is that it has been a great relationship.
I vaguely remember our winning the championship in 1947.  I certainly remember losing to Arsenal in the FA Cup final in 1950, and please don't tell me that Liverpool have had a better player than Billy Liddell, who WAS Liverpool from the end of the war until the late fifties.  We have had some great players since but Billy was head and shoulders above them all.
I went to every home game, even those in the dark days when we were in the second division and I was always so proud to be a Red.  My faithful service was rewarded, and some, in the sixties, seventies and eighties and so I can accept, albeit reluctantly, the bad times we're currently suffering.  (Nothing like some of the rubbish I watched years ago, I can assure you)
There is no way I can afford to go to the games these days, and I do get annoyed when people suggest that I am somehow less of a supporter if I don't 'attend'.  What a laugh.

I'd just like to add that I think the forum is getting back to its best.  Stu, Mick, Leon, Jim Morrison are all brilliant and keep me amused.  And to all the other regular posters, thanks for making an old codger proud still to be a Red.
sinema

Postby barnesrush » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:51 pm

cheers guys anyone got anymore stories of how they became fans?
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby 109-1093441336 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:51 pm

I was making love to this hard-on-luck unemployed Bird (they're easier) behind the JobCentre whislt up North on an excursion.  She kept saying i look like Harry....or so she said??? ...anyway i thought she was doin one of those "thinking of someone else whilst making love to you" things i often do.  Sufice to say my paranoia made me do an internet search and found that the Aussie Convict does look like me.  Sentiment ran and thought phuck it i'll support my look-alike and his team from now on.:D
109-1093441336

Postby gabbyh » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:00 pm

Earliest memory I have is watching my brother and Dad and cousin and Uncle go off to the match and wishing I could go too. My Nanna was an Everton fan, but her sons supported Liverpool. My Dad, from Cornwall, also became a Liverpool fan. My clearest memory is watching the FA Cup final against Newcastle on the day I had left hospital after having an operation on my teeth. I am sure it was 1973. I remember Malcolm McDonald being very boastful. not being able to eat anything because of my teeth, but swiping my Dad's dinner as we watched the final on telly and shouting goal, as we scored despite my sore throat.
Was passionate about football and hated our Rivals with a passion too; Leeds, Nottingham Forest, Man Utd(in those days Man U were flamboyant but didn't win anything).
Hysel changed all that. I decided not to waste any more emotional energy hating football teams, how stupid is that? I remember working behind a bar watching the match against Juventus and feeling stunned. I couldn't believe it when a couple of Everton supporters crowed about the fact that we lost!! A lot of people watching the game in the pub were just as stunned, except those Everton supporters.
I became less passionately involved in Football, more so after Hillsborough. My brother was at that match, he is now a Fire Station Officer, but at the time he said he saw things that he never wanted to see again, and believe me, as a fireman he has seen a lot of horrible things.
This is why I don't like chants that mock the Munich Disaster for Man U, I used to be horrible and say that was all Man U was famous for. I am not proud of myself, that was at a time when I was so passionate about Liverpool, I cried when they lost.(me being female, that is what happens when I get upset!)
When Hillsborough happened, I honestly thought that all hate for Man U would be at an end. I even admit here, that at their best, they reminded me of Liverpool during the 70's and 80's.
I love Liverpool, but admit that they are fallible and are not perfect. I just wish that our fans could be famous once more for our fair-mindedness, and for our wit, not our cruelty.

If it is true that there are chants about Harold Shipman, all I would say is, how would we feel if there chants about the Bulger Murder? I wish the mindless minority didn't give us such a bad name, and they were drowned out by the chants of the decent majority.

I do not go to games anymore, my hubby prefers Rugby and my brother wont take me. I have a habit of swearing at the ref in a loud voice when 50 odd thousand fans have fallen silent. Very embarrassing!!

I will never be other than a Red.
gabbyh

Postby fivecups » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:33 pm

sinema wrote:My love affair with the reds began in 1945 when I was 7 years old.  I had two uncles, Andy and Johnnie, who had just returned home from army service after the war. 
Andy was a blue and Johnnie was a red and they would take me to the match on alternate Saturdays, lifting me over the turnstile to get me in for free.  I still remember the brass buttons on their army greatcoats tearing the skin off my legs (young lads always wore short pants in those days).
Anyway, my allegiance to the reds was apparently decided at Goodison where Andy took me to see the blues play Brentford.
Everton won 4-1, and Andy says that the only goal I cheered was Brentford's.
It wasn't that my 'red' uncle treated me any better than my 'blue' uncle, it wasn't that Liverpool were significantly better than Everton at that time, so what made me a Liverpudlian?    Heaven knows.
What I do know is that it has been a great relationship.
I vaguely remember our winning the championship in 1947.  I certainly remember losing to Arsenal in the FA Cup final in 1950, and please don't tell me that Liverpool have had a better player than Billy Liddell, who WAS Liverpool from the end of the war until the late fifties.  We have had some great players since but Billy was head and shoulders above them all.
I went to every home game, even those in the dark days when we were in the second division and I was always so proud to be a Red.  My faithful service was rewarded, and some, in the sixties, seventies and eighties and so I can accept, albeit reluctantly, the bad times we're currently suffering.  (Nothing like some of the rubbish I watched years ago, I can assure you)
There is no way I can afford to go to the games these days, and I do get annoyed when people suggest that I am somehow less of a supporter if I don't 'attend'.  What a laugh.

I'd just like to add that I think the forum is getting back to its best.  Stu, Mick, Leon, Jim Morrison are all brilliant and keep me amused.  And to all the other regular posters, thanks for making an old codger proud still to be a Red.

Great post Sinema!!!! Im enjoying this thread.

Im sure you could tell us younger ones a story or two. You must have watched team after team of LFC players come and go. Which era of liverpool players do you think were the ultimate??
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion