Tottenham v liverpool

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Santa » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:33 am

bigmick wrote:Got to briefly take issue with you Santa on the Raven mistakes. Don't get me wrong I don't know the kid but I think you've been harsh on both counts. On the offside, I actually think Whitbread does the wrong thing by stepping out and also doesn't step out early or far enough. You should only ever really step out if you are fairly sure you are the last man (its not synchronised swimming after all) and in doing so, it has to be a couple of paces to give some daylight and a chance of a decision. My read was that had Raven not been behind Whitbread then Kanoute still may have got the nod, it was that tight. Also, given that Raven had his own man to pick up, it was unreasonable to expect him to be able to co-ordinate the step.
On the actual finish, I think you have to give credit to Defoe for some very good, if elementary movement. Raven left on his own is obviously reluctant to get drawn to near post as this would result in a pass beyond him and an easy finish. He feels more comfortable in an impossible situation when he can get himself inbetween Kanoute and Defoe. However, if he allows Defoe to pull too far off him, he has a further problem. So, as he sees Defoe begin to backtrack out of the corner of his eye (remember his focus is on the ball-carrier, Kanoute) he takes a corrective backward step. This is the trigger for Defoe to attack the near-post at pace. The combo of defender having to re-adjust to go back forwards and Defoe arriving at 100 miles an hour is too much, pass is well wieghted and finish exemplarary. A good striker doing the basics right. Don't think you can blame Raven though.
When he's a bit older he may fient to backtrack and second guess Defoe will go near post. Even then though he may get it wrong. Sorry to pick up on it but thats how I see it anyhow.

Hi Big Mick, I was probably wrong, probably...didn't get a close-up analyse replay but I think it was Raven. But anyway, the kid did good overall and deserve encouragement. I don't mean it as a (harsh) criticism but point out what I saw. And he realised Dafoe's run much too late to cover...

Biscan and Henchoz scored from the penalty, never thought I live to see that  :D  Whoever we met next, I think this is a good showcase and experience for our youngsters
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:32 am

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Its really a big dilema for Rafa cause Watford wont lay down and could beat us very easy they have nothing to loose.
What do you do?

Out of all the semi finalists Watford will be the most desperate to reach a cup final and CGGY is spot on when she says they wont just lay down, for them it will be their biggest game of the season and I expect it will be a real battle .
The youngsters have done exceptionally well to get this far but if we are honest there is no way Spurs should have lost last night , we were lucky not to be 3 nil down by half time. It would be nice for the youngsters to be given the chance to play in the semi's BUT what then ? if they win do we then play them again in the final ?. Forget the sentiment ,if we are serious about winning this competition now is the time to bring on our first eleven.

:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:37 am

i think we'll do a mix, bring ina  few more senior players but keep players like welsh and whitbread in the team, they deserve there place as they got us this far.
Also, Dudek has given beni a great problem in deciding who should start in goal, a fantastic performance by him, nice one boys!
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:38 am

I personally think that we'll see three or four more first team regulars like Baros, Finnan, Riise and Garcia playing some part in in the semis, and if we get a poor result in the first leg, there will be no doubt that Gerrard, Alonso, Carragher and Hyppia will play.

If we get to the final I very much doubt that any of the youngsters will get a start, with the possible exceptions of Warnock and Pongolle, depending on the fitness of other players.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ciggy » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:43 am

But Rafa has said its there cup and they will play all the way but we would get tonked 10-0 by chelseas second 11 ??? .
So he wouldnt want us be made ashow of and a laughing stock, but the kids will be really dissapointed.
On another note anyone see pongolle and Potter singin youll never walk alone :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:45 am

i think its time to play the senior players and give the youngsters a nice hefty cash bonus to thank them
112-1077774096

Postby Red_Si » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:48 am

Well done youngsters
Red_Si

Postby adayinthelife » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:18 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:I personally think that we'll see three or four more first team regulars like Baros, Finnan, Riise and Garcia playing some part in in the semis, and if we get a poor result in the first leg, there will be no doubt that Gerrard, Alonso, Carragher and Hyppia will play.

Considering the 1st leg is just over a week after the chelsea match and only 5 days before we play the scum I doubt Benitez will play any of the big guns.

The young lads deserve it and they should be well able to beat watford.

Welsh did really well when he came on and hopefully he will get a start.
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion