Aussie boss encouragement - Harry kewell is finding form ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:59 pm

FOX News Article

AUSTRALIA coach Frank Farina believes Harry Kewell's nightmare season is about to change for the good, declaring the Liverpool midfielder is returning to form.

Kewell played a positive and energetic role in the Socceroos' 2-2 draw with Norway in London this morning (AEDT) after copping criticism from Liverpool fans, club coach Raphael Benitez and the British press for a listless season and a goal drought which dates back nine months.

But Farina saw Kewell have a hand in one of Milan Baros' two goals in Liverpool's 3-2 win over Crystal Palace last weekend and come close to scoring twice for the Socceroos today.

While Benitez last week blamed Kewell's trip to play for Australia against the Solomon Islands last month for contributing to his form struggle and ankle injury, Farina believes today's match for his country has done him some good.

"I watched the game last week and I thought he did quite well, he's coming back," Farina said.

"Tonight I was very happy with him as well. He could have scored in the first half with that header, it was a great save I felt. And his contribution on the night was very, very good.

"He worked hard both going forward and defending, Harry Kewell is coming back big time.

"The last two times I've seen him, he's progressed each time.

"Things don't turn around overnight, one or two games can make a massive difference but Harry's on the comeback, that's for sure."

Kewell, however, played down his performance and admitted he had much to do to regain touch which deserted him following a run of groin, ankle and hamstring injuries.

"I wouldn't say I'm back big time, there's still a long way to go but we're working on it up at Liverpool but it's a long season," he said.

"There's a lot of reasons for my drop in form. I was carrying an injury and when you go out there and play week in, week out, sometimes that plays a part, and flying out to Australia, I got a knock on the ankle and then coming back.

"They're all excuses at the end of the day, once you cross the white line you should be 110 per cent, but I wasn't and my fitness went as well, so I've got to work on that."

Benitez may not like Kewell going on national duty, but the Socceroos ace said he believed matches for his country were good for his game.

"Obviously they're good for me, and it's always good to catch up with the boys," he said.

Farina said he was pleased with the way Kewell combined with Mark Viduka and Brett Emerton as a three-pronged attack against Norway.

"Mark is a great player to play with, he's so easy to play to because he's so big and strong," Kewell said.

"You just play any kind of ball to him and you can just run off him and you're more likely to get the little flick or something like that. I've always enjoyed playing alongside Mark."

JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the great one » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:16 pm

i throught he play well last night but his problem was he was trying to hard but its better he scores against teams like norway than the solmon islands :p
Last edited by the great one on Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion