Travelex cash passport globe card - Anyone familiar with these?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby tubby » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:45 pm

I had a bit of a nightmare taking my money with me last time I went on holiday so was looking at getting one of these pre paid credit cards for next time.

Travelex do this Cash Passport Mastercard, essentially a pre paid card which you can use wherever ect... No ATM fee's abroad however there is a 5.75% markup on transactions, which doesn't turn out too well on the other side. As far as ease of use and security goes though it's great.

Anyway they have got this other card, the Globe one. The difference being you pay something like £30 up front, a 1 time fee then the 5.75% markup per transaction drops down to 1.5% flat fee. Once again no other ATM fee from Travelex. (btw yes I am aware that in a foreign country they may charge to withdraw using a foreign card but as far as Travel ex goes there is no charge)

What im having trouble finding out what the rate of exchange is for ATM withdrawals overseas. Travelex says:

*Merchant transactions and ATM withdrawals in a currency other than British Pounds will be exchanged to the requisite currency at an exchange rate determined by MasterCard on the day the transaction is processed.

However they don't link through to any current rate from Mastercard. I googled around and found the below, looks like some standard rate of exchange from Mastercard.

https://www.mastercard.com/us....ex.html

What no one at Travelex is able to tell me is, is the above the rate I will get for overseas withdrawals or is the rate ill get something else? I spoke to 2 people over the phone at Travelex who wernt able to confirm this and even went in store to one and they couldn't tell me either. Was like some fkn bint out of come fly with me sitting behind the desk there. I've emailed Mastercard so hopefully they can shed some light on this.

Just thought id post this in case anyone here happens to work for any of these companies or have used this card before.

Thanks
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:05 am

I used a travelex cash passport when I was in Uk/Europe in 09 and found it very useful.

Small fee to set up, easy to reload with  two cards with no ID on them and transaction charge was far less then if I used my normal debit card.
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:43 am

Cheers Laza, yeah I think this is the best way. Did you have the Visa or Mastercard one? Also were you able to take out cash from any ATM with those respective symbols or did you have to go to a designated one?
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:39 pm

No probs Bav..er Tub   BavTub  :D

Mine was for visa and most atm's had the visa symbol

I actually heading back to Europe in May so will be ordering myself a new one very soon
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to General Chat Forum