Julian assange - dead or alive

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:05 am

can someone explain if these documents are meant to be secret and he has them how is he not being charged with anything, well not anything as such as the charges from sweden are for something not related.

surley he is in possession of stolen property.

the guy who they reckon downloaded the stuff is in military jail and could if found guilty get 52 years.
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby laza » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:09 am

Well Australian Government has been telling us he has broken laws for months now, they just cant name which one

He is being charged for sexual assault in sweden,as for possession of stolen property.
Well not sure but I guess it really depends on the laws of country where the servers physically are
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:34 pm

wikileaks doesn't steal or own any documents. what it does is to provide an outlet for those in possession of documents or information that they would like to make public. wikileaks allows them to do this while remaining anonymous, and provides them with an outlet to the press.

the important point is that wikileaks - a large organisation of which assange has made himself the public face - does not actively go looking for documents, cables and so on to make public. throughout governments, the military, industry etc etc however, there are numerous disillusioned people in possession of information that they think the world should see. wikileaks provides them with an outlet.

it seems that currently they operate without a legal loophole and are not open to prosectution, and in fact in US law are protected by the first amendment. also the fact that most of the information they have is intellectual property rather than physical property it is almost impossible to hit them with any kind of charges of theft.

i'm sure we'll see some interesting law changes quite soon though.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:54 pm

Does anyone know how to log on to wikileaks? ????
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:02 pm

Number 9 wrote:Does anyone know how to log on to wikileaks? ????

I do

but I can't tell you

it's a secret   :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Number 9 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:47 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
Number 9 wrote:Does anyone know how to log on to wikileaks? ????

I do

but I can't tell you

it's a secret   :D

Come on Woof its Christmas! :D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:45 pm

Well, it's a catch 22 for the Yanks, isn't it. If he dies anytime soon it will be suspicious, which will point the finger of blame on them, meaning that they really do have some really dirty and nasty secrets that they don't want let out. Which of course, they do. It's not just the States either. The UK is involved with some dirty sh*t that they've swept under the rug.
Last edited by Emerald Red on Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:41 pm

which is exactly what wikileaks has confirmed and which has surprised precisely no one

andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:45 pm

Looks like yanks have got some more deadly then a CIA hit squad.....................lawyers

WIKILEAKS founder Julian Assange said it was "increasingly likely'' the US would try to extradite him on charges related to leaked cables as he savoured his first day on bail.

The founder of WikiLeaks, Julian Assange says he fears the United States is getting ready to indict him

"The big risk, the risk we have always been concerned about, is onwards extradition to the United States. And that seems to be increasingly serious and increasingly likely,'' the Australian said.

The 39-year-old founder of the whistle-blowing website is fighting extradition to Sweden, where he is wanted for questioning over allegations that he sexually assaulted two women, which he denies.

But Mr Assange said his lawyers believed a secret US grand jury investigation had been started into his role in WikiLeaks' release of thousands of leaked US diplomatic cables - a probe he condemned as "illegal''.

Looking relaxed, he said the mansion was a "big improvement'' on the London jail where he was held in solitary confinement for nine days before his release on bail Thursday.

Media reports suggest that US prosecutors are trying to build a case against Assange on the grounds that he encouraged a US soldier, Bradley Manning, to steal US cables from a government computer and pass them to WikiLeaks.

"I would say that there is a very aggressive investigation, that a lot of face has been lost by some people, and some people have careers to make by pursuing famous cases,'' Mr Assange said.

The renewed push to snare Assange comes as Prime Minister Julia Gillard admitted the WikiLeaks founder had not breached Australian law in the leaking of US diplomatic documents on the website.

The admission was an embarrassing backflip from Ms Gillard, who last month condemned the publishing of embarrassing US cables as "an illegal thing to do".

Yesterday, she stood by those comments and branded WikiLeaks as being "grossly irresponsible". "I know there are a number of people who are fans of WikiLeaks," Ms Gillard said.

"Let me make it very, very clear - I am not. The release of all of this documentation has been grossly irresponsible."

Meanwhile Manning, who spent his 24th birthday behind bars yesterday, has already served more than four months jail since being charged with disseminating a US military video showing a US helicopter attack that killed 17 people in Iraq, including two Reuters employees.

He is also suspected of leaking military logs about other incidents in Iraq and Afghanistan and more than 250,000 diplomatic cables to WikiLeaks, which has created a diplomatic nightmare for the US Government, and he faces 52 years in jail if convicted.

However in reports yesterday, authorities were hoping to enter a plea bargain with Manning whose health is said to be declining in jail, if he names Assange as a co-conspirator. After securing his release from custody in the UK yesterday Assange said he feared he may have already been indicted in the US for espionage.

Arriving at the mansion home of journalist Vaughan Smith in Suffolk, Assange said he considered rumours of US legal action as "extremely serious".

"We have heard today from one of my US lawyers that there may be a US indictment for espionage for me coming from a secret grand jury investigation," he said.

The US Justice Department has refused to comment on any grand jury activity.

US prosecutors would be able to form a much stronger case if Manning gave evidence that Assange had encouraged and helped him disseminate classified material.

Adrian Lamo, the former hacker who turned Manning over to the Government after the soldier bragged to him about his role in the leaks, is thought to have told the FBI that Assange had spoken to the soldier over an encrypted internet service while he was downloading government files.

Manning's supporters have maintained he is not co-operating with authorities
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:41 pm

andy_g wrote:which is exactly what wikileaks has confirmed and which has surprised precisely no one

Well for the more open minded person nothing really.

but for someone who has no clue whats going around in the world and claiming the american government are the ''goodies'' then the information might surprise them

Just watch a video on there called ''Collateral murder''.... unbelievably disturbing :(
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red-er-Dare » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:53 am

I don't think nothing will happen to him, like ER said and I don't think English law (human right law) will let him be extadited if there is the possibility of a death sentence.

The American's should really be looking to secure their networks between the military, law, intelligence etc too if they want to stop such leaks, apparently there are around 3 million people who work in these sectors who are privy to confidential information. I read they opened up this network in the wake of 9/11 where it was said that passing on, and sharing information amongst government agencies would have perhaps helped to prevent such acts in the future, as before information wasn't as accessible and shared.

BTW, I'm sure it's not just the UK and the USA with the ''dirty secrets'' :;): as usual though, it's fashionable amongst today's western demographic to blame the world's atrocoties on the hand that feeds them.  :nod
Red-er-Dare

Postby andy_g » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:12 pm

of course its not just the UK and the US, and wikileaks has been clear about that from the outset. so far this interactive map is the best gizmo i have found for exploring some of the leaked information and its countries of origin.

andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to General Chat Forum