Motd coverage - Stop moaning

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:41 pm

I've read several references to LFC only getting cursory mentions on Match Of The Day this season, and I think it's time someone actually pointed out why this is the case.

They don't think we're a top 3 club, and they don't think we're capable of the kind of entertaining, enterprising football that it's worth giving extended coverage to.

Let's face it, it's been an average start to the season. There have been some glimpses of the end of the rainbow, but we've played 6 in the league and lost two. We're still waiting for our first away win of the season. Not exactly earth-shattering statistics.

Until our squad gets us to the stage where we're playing good stuff AND getting the results we're looking for, the BBC aren't going to go out of their way to bung us on as their featured game. With Arsenal, you're guaranteed goals and some good football, and there's the ongoing intrigue over where their first loss is going to come. Chelsea and Man U are still seen as the main threats, and even though they've not exactly set the league alight, they're grinding out results. We're merely a club in transition that could go either way.

Just another reason why a top 3 finish would do the club no end of good.
ivor_the_injun

Postby supersub » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:47 pm

MOTD is not about showing the same 3 clubs..
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Sep 27, 2004 11:54 pm

Whatever they're supposed to do, they'll always give more coverage to the title challengers and the relegation battle. Liverpool are caught in the middle at the moment, and will probably get about as much coverage and analysis as teams like Birmingham and Charlton this season.

And as for the point people have made about Schmeichel and Lawro putting the boot in, you have to bear in mind that Hansen has been a one-man Liverpool propaganda machine for years now, and unfortunately there are quite a few fans watching the programme that don't necessarily want to see that point of view every Saturday night.
ivor_the_injun

Postby gabbyh » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:19 pm

Don't you remember Alex Ferguson complaining about bias toward Liverpool on Motd in the 80's? I remember feeling smug and thinking.. it's cos we win things you dull b'stard. Now the boot is on the other foot, and Liverpool are on Motd usually cos of who they are playing against..if Sky hasn't got there first.
When we won the treble in 2001, Houllier talked about rebuilding the team to improve on the results and get the Premiereship. That was a mistake, he ripped the squad apart and brought in duffs. (can u spot the deliberate spelling mistake?)
All past liverpool teams have been gradually changed, also payers not producing the goods, didn't play. I know money talks now, but how come Alex Ferguson can do it?
If you are a succesfull and strong-minded manager, you can do it. If you are not successful, you have pressure on you to play unfit/out of form  'star' players, ie the Steven Gerard/Micheal Owen's of this world because of the amount of money they earn in their own right outside the club. Star players are mini-businesses of their own!!
I also think that the emergence of the celebrity player was the down fall of Liverpool, our old style way of management doesn't seem to work anymore.
Arsene Wenger and Alex Ferguson are in a league of their own. Houllier was far too nice for his own good, and perhaps not as good a judge of a player as Wenger.
gabbyh

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:01 pm

gabbyh wrote:Arsene Wenger and Alex Ferguson are in a league of their own. Houllier was far too nice for his own good, and perhaps not as good a judge of a player as Wenger.

Perhaps ?

Toure / Biscan

Reyes / Diouf

Fabregas / Diao

Clichey / Finnan

Perhaps ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby gabbyh » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:34 am

:p I was being as 'nice' as Houllier there! Finnan is not too bad!? At least you only disagreed with my perhaps!
gabbyh

Postby cheesecakery » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:09 pm

supersub wrote:MOTD is not about showing the same 3 clubs..

oh havent you watched it then ?  :D
ARF ARF
cheesecakery

Postby Scottbot » Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:04 pm

first time i've seen your new avatar Cheesey. I like.... :D
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:41 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:Whatever they're supposed to do, they'll always give more coverage to the title challengers and the relegation battle.

Haven't seen Everton getting the air-time
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion