Toshack hasn't time for uncommitted stars

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:41 am

Toshack always writes some lines about Liverpool in the local press and as I've told you some times he's been pretty anti Benitez.

The bit that is new, is the harsh words he has for Mascherano and Torres

Estamos metidos en rumores sobre fichajes y también en declaraciones de jugadores sobre su nuevo desafío tras un cambio de aires. También vemos el silencio de algunos mientras sus representantes buscan acuerdos con presidentes a pesar de que sus clientes todavía tienen contrato en vigor con su club actual.

We're in the middle of a rumour mill about signings ups and also in the middle of statements of players about the new challenges after changing team. We also see the silence of some players meanwhile their agents seek for agreements with other chairmen despite they still have an ongoing contract.

Parece que esto último está pasando en el Liverpool, donde Torres y Mascherano tienen pocas ganas de hablar y el nuevo entrenador, Roy Hodgson, no es demasiado optimista a la hora de contar con ellos. Torres lleva cuatro años en el Liverpool sin título alguno y en mi opinión está mejor callado. Pasó media temporada lesionado y está a punto de cumplir 27 años. Tras diez años en dos clubes como Liverpool y Atlético de Madrid su vitrina de trofeos está vacía.

It looks as if some of this is happening at Liverpool, where Torres and Mascherano don't feel like talking and the new coach, Roy Hodgson, isn't too optimist about counting on them. Torres has been 4 years at Liverpool with no silverware, and in my opinion he's better off shut up. He spent half the season injured and he's about being 27 years. After 10 years in two clubs like Liverpool and Atletico, his silverware shelf is empty.

Mascherano, otro fichaje de Benítez, preocupa en el Liverpool. Hay gente convencida de que el argentino se va al Milán con su anterior míster. Yo creo que hay que coger el dinero por ambos futbolistas y gastar en unos fichajes de gente que tenga ilusión por jugar en Anfield Road.

Mascherano, another Benitez signing, worries Liverpool. There are people convinced that the Argie will go to Milan with his former manager. I think we have to get the cash for both footballers and spend some money in signings of people who are enthusiast about playing in ANfield Road.

---------

Well, that's that.

I know that Toshack was well fed up of Benitez because he's an anti before Bigmick started to say the first doubts about rotation.

But I find a bit harsh the words about the two players. Does anyone agree with him?
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:15 am

I agree somewhat with the sentiment, but my stance if the contract allows they stay.

Players like Torres with 3 years left, should not be entertained in discussions about their future until at least 2 years are left. Like Man Utd did with Ronaldo and like Arsenal are doing with Fabregas.

They signed the contract, they keep to the contract.

Torres is too good to allow his short term wishes to override the future of the club. One more year will not damage his career. But one more year may revive Liverpool's.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:05 am

I think he is right about both players, but also unfair in that they aren't the only two, all players are like that. It was a bit daft when numerous people came on here and said Torres was "on holiday and there's no reason for him to say anything". Clearly he was thinking about a move, otherwise he would have answered the press speculation. Had a big offer come in from a big club abroad, my guess is he would have gone. Masherano is IMHO a mercenary, but as I say he's not on his own.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:14 am

to be honest i think toshack is talking krap on this occasion. what he's saying about mascherano is nothing new, but i think he's being a little harsh on torres. some people like ot make big announcements and attract attention and some don't and torres is one of the latter. unless hodgson is lying through his back teeth, torres has said what he needs to say to the manager and thats good enough in my opinion.

i also don't like the insinuation that torres is better of going somewhere else to win something. its probably fair to say we won't win the league this season, but there is no reason to write off our chances of getting our hands on some form of trophy this season or next.
Last edited by andy_g on Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:41 am

andy_g wrote:to be honest i think toshack is talking krap on this occasion. what he's saying about mascherano is nothing new, but i think he's being a little harsh on torres. some people like ot make big announcements and attract attention and some don't and torres is one of the latter. unless hodgson is lying through his back teeth, torres has said what he needs to say to the manager and thats good enough in my opinion.

i also don't like the insinuation that torres is better of going somewhere else to win something. its probably fair to say we won't win the league this season, but there is no reason to write off our chances of getting our hands on some form of trophy this season or next.

I agree
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:50 pm

contracts are worth nothing anymore.
once a player decides he wants out the club becomes powerless.
masch wanted out last year and claims he had an agreement to go this year so i dont understand why he wasnt stuck on the transfer list before the world cup,a big failure on the clubs behalf imo.
now because he has had to come out and publicly ask for the move we lost any chance of getting what he's worth,we could have swapped him for ballotelli long before city showed an interest or at least got other clubs bidding for him.

i can understand torres as he stated when he signed that he was signing to win things with liverpool as of yet he won nothing.after xmas he pleaded with the club to match his ambitions and sign some quality players so we can challenge for trophys.so far we got cole who i rate as a top player but luke young and stilian petrov arent,now i know there is 30 odd days left in the transfer window so im sure he's sitting it out to see what happens.either way if were pretty much out of the league and top 4 come christmas he'll be off and we will be powerless to stop him.

toshack making that statement telling torres he should shut it is disapointing and i am surprised he said it tbh as you would think he would know better.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby neil » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:11 pm

red till i die!! wrote:contracts are worth nothing anymore.

not strictly true, ronaldo was made to wait a while before joining RM, gareth barry was another.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:52 pm

neil wrote:
red till i die!! wrote:contracts are worth nothing anymore.

not strictly true, ronaldo was made to wait a while before joining RM, gareth barry was another.

ronaldo wanted out of manure after the wc in 06.whiskey nose stopped him then.
he signed a 5 yr deal in 07.
in 08 he tried to go to madrid.whiskey nose again stopped him but unknown to most at the time both parties agreed he would leave for his chosen destination a yr later.
he had 3 yrs left on his deal and im pretty confident utd didnt want to sell him just as much as we dont want to sell torres.
this move was engineered by the player not the club.

barry was slightly different as he had only 1 yr left on his deal.he wouldnt sign another deal with villa thus leaving the club exposed to the possibility of him going this year for free.they refused our bids point blank for him which states villa did not want him to go and offered to make him the highest earner at the club.
the player won here and again engneered his own move to city this time rather than go to us as i believe we offered 18mil as opposed to city paying 12mil for him.villa lost out on the balance as barry then preffered city for the bigger pay over us.

if a player has 3 or 4 yrs left on his contract then it just makes him worth a bit more.if he wants to go then he will and the club can't really stop them as was the case with the two examples you offered.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion